Shrewsbury trout fishing

creel of willow

Hi all, I have just moved to Shrewsbury and would love to learn of the available small stream/river fly fishing nearby. So if any 'brother of the angle' can help I would be genuinely grateful?
Also, are there any 'proper' decent game tackle shops in the vicinity - not one of those warehouse type affairs, please.....
Many thanks in anticipation :)

richardgw

The Severn through Shrewsbury is a coarse river with some salmon fishing, but the local brooks – Cound and Rea both hold decent trout. I used to fish these 50+ years ago and trout over 1 lb were not unusual.

If you are prepared to travel up to say 30 miles into Wales then options for trout are much improved with the likes of the rivers Vyrnwy, Banwy, Tanet, Teme and Welsh Dee all which hold good trout. A search of the internet should provide opportunities – check Llangollen AA, Prince Albert Angling Society (2/3 year waiting list) and for the lower Rea brook in and around the town - Shrewsbury Town Fisheries. I’m sure others on the forum will be able to add significantly to this list.

Having not lived in Shrewsbury for many years I have no knowledge of the local tackle shops.

creel of willow

The Severn through Shrewsbury is a coarse river with some salmon fishing, but the local brooks – Cound and Rea both hold decent trout. I used to fish these 50+ years ago and trout over 1 lb were not unusual.

If you are prepared to travel up to say 30 miles into Wales then options for trout are much improved with the likes of the rivers Vyrnwy, Banwy, Tanet, Teme and Welsh Dee all which hold good trout. A search of the internet should provide opportunities – check Llangollen AA, Prince Albert Angling Society (2/3 year waiting list) and for the lower Rea brook in and around the town - Shrewsbury Town Fisheries. I’m sure others on the forum will be able to add significantly to this list.

Having not lived in Shrewsbury for many years I have no knowledge of the local tackle shops.
Hi RichardGW, Thank you very much for your advice - it is really appreciated.
I shall certainly explore all these suggestions :)
Tight lines!

creel of willow

Hi RichardGW, Thank you very much for your advice - it is really appreciated.
I shall certainly explore all these suggestions :)
Tight lines!

justmike

hi, I have just spent some time finding some decent cheap or free locations in the border area for WBT and grayling so I may be able to help.
regards Mike

sewinbasher

Check out the Teme, Onny and Clun just to the south, Prince Albert AS have water, also on the Dane to the east in Cheshire.

justmike

Onny is mostly plowden syndicate usually a waiting list I believe, Hookagate fishing club just outside shrewsbury have a long stretch of rea brook and is a well kept secret and very nice, Montgomeryshire fishing club have water on the severn,vyrnwy and tanat , Caersws angling assoc is very worthwhile as is Rhayader and district, have a look at their websites, you get a lot for the money even though its an hours drive. Upper tanat fishing club has very nice waters but very small limited membership with waiting list, bit pricey,no day tickets for the plebs. As per previous message Prince Albert have a lot of small sections of waters along the border and into mid wales, there is also a lot of great fishing on the Dee and its tributaries and finally go on Fishing in Wales its a huge website with everything you would ever need to know from where to go to which flies are best, all the clubs and even free places ......it is a very good website.
tight lines Mike

justmike

I should add that if you go for a pint at the New Inn at Hookagate on a friday evening about 9-9.30 there are very often members thereand the landlords Debbie and Martin will point them out as the club have their meetings there also look at Llanidloes angling club as they have clywedog reservoir and cheaper than that several river stretches inc upper severn.
mike

creel of willow

Check out the Teme, Onny and Clun just to the south, Prince Albert AS have water, also on the Dane to the east in Cheshire.
Thanks very much, I have fished the Dane, some years back - actually just moved to Shrewsbury from south Cheshire and it was only a couple of miles away. I caught no trout but some lovely chub!
I shall certainly look at the other rivers you mention (my Brother lives next to the Clun! but it's not very big at that point and with quite over grown bank-side trees etc)
I really appreciate the advice and will check-out the Teme and Onny, too.
Cheers :)

creel of willow

I should add that if you go for a pint at the New Inn at Hookagate on a friday evening about 9-9.30 there are very often members thereand the landlords Debbie and Martin will point them out as the club have their meetings there also look at Llanidloes angling club as they have clywedog reservoir and cheaper than that several river stretches inc upper severn.
mike
Hi Mike, that's a great deal of valuable and welcome info' - Thanks ever so much!
I've just bought a season ticket for Shrewsbury town waters which I'm sure you know include a shortish stretch of the Rea Brook. I'll let you guys know how I go on there and my reasons for blanking....😒
tight lines and take care
Steve

justmike

The best rea brook water is from Hookagate upstream 2 or 3 miles and is a good wbt and grayling water I truly think it would be worth a look, many years ago a chum told me he was catching trout to 3lb from it and I had a chuckle but it was true because I had a 2.5lb fish at lea cross, they are there.
ATB Mike

glosterboy

Thanks very much, I have fished the Dane, some years back - actually just moved to Shrewsbury from south Cheshire and it was only a couple of miles away. I caught no trout but some lovely chub!
I shall certainly look at the other rivers you mention (my Brother lives next to the Clun! but it's not very big at that point and with quite over grown bank-side trees etc)
I really appreciate the advice and will check-out the Teme and Onny, too.
Cheers :)
That brings back memories. I worked right next to the Dane in the 90's but only for a short while.
I had some cracking Chub out of there as well, long before I picked up a fly rod.
I remember seeing a couple of absolute monsters in totally inaccessible swims. If only I'd had some chest waders and a fly rod!

There's a free stretch of the Teme at Ludlow that worth a visit. Not that far from you. There's also an Orvis shop in Ludlow as well.

creel of willow

Very many thanks to Glosterboy and Pilsner for your info' it is truly appreciated(y)
The information that would have the most immediate benifit would be some pointers regarding easy access to the town waters stretch of Reabrook (just bought a permit) between Meole brace and the bottom of the stretch near 'Nandos'?
Any indication of the nature of the bank-side vegetation etc would be really helpful too - if that doesn't ask a little too much of anyone's time or kindness 😟
I can't seem to find contact details for the bailiff so I'm left a little in the dark and would prefer not to simply blunder about looking for safe and permitted access routes...:unsure:

Again, thanks to all

Latest posts