Shy bites!

JobberDun

The last few times out I have been using a 'Cat's Whisker' and retrieving at different speeds whilst varying the pause.

This is working fine for me, but I have one problem...

I seem to get plenty of shy bites. Now either the fish are aware of the hook and spitting it out before I can strike, or they are just nipping at the tail.

Has anybody come across this before? And, if you have, what have you done to get more positive bites?

I spoke with Bert, the owner of the fishery and he told me to trim back the tail, or to strip the lure faster.

Hope somebody can help with this, it's driving me crazy.

Russ

taffy1

If fish are fry-bashing, sometimes they just stun the prey & will leisurely mop up any injured prey. Leave your lure for a short time to see if the fish returns & takes.

speytime

If i get a knock fishing lures I'll strip it quicker, quick as I can for the remainder of the cast.
Sometimes you'll get another take sometime not.

Al

codyarrow

Before the technicalitycrats take over I'll give my twopenneth.
I would concur with Speytime about stripping it back faster to try an induce a take first off. If this failed I would go to the opposite extreme and leave it hanging then twitch it slowly. Been a while since I fished for rainbows though; WBT I would just keep casting and moving.

bobmiddlepoint

The other thing that sometimes works is not striking when you get a take (or even a bite), just keep retrieving steadily. Sometimes they keep nibbling away until it all goes solid. It doesn't work that often but then nothing works every time with tail nippers.

Andy

ed_t

The other thing that sometimes works is not striking when you get a take (or even a bite), just keep retrieving steadily. Sometimes they keep nibbling away until it all goes solid. It doesn't work that often but then nothing works every time with tail nippers.

Andy
Agree with that, slow down and just twitch the fly.

When it all goes solid the fish may or may not have bitten your offering, but it has somehow got your hook stuck in its gob.

with or without biting

maybe it was just giving it a nice suck and being coy with its teeth.

That takes me back a few years.

Paul_B

If I had a few knocks, shy bites on something as you describe (I like minnow patterns) I would have quickened the retrieve and on the next cast alternating from quick to slow with the occasional hang.
Shortening the tail would have been a last resort as it could be this movement that attracted the fish in the first place.
However you should take my advice with a pinch of salt, I went I went fishing on Wednesday and didn't get as much as a sniff never mind a knock, still I would class it as a good days fishing as the weather was pleasant with an earie silence with just the birds supplying the background music. I had a pleasant walk around the puddle (2 1/2 miles) which is in the flight path for Manchester airport and virtually no planes.

Perhaps the fish were holed up after the horrendous weather they'd experienced over the last few days, or they wearing masks in preparation for a no toilet roll situation :unsure:

bobmiddlepoint

It isn't just long tailed flies that suffer from these short takes, it can happen with anything.

On Uist there were a couple of seasons when the fish (all wild browns) in all the lochs would come short for a few weeks. This was fishing pretty standard wet flies and the answer was to just keep pulling, the fish just kept tapping away sometimes for three or four yards before taking properly. I have no idea why this should be as normally once you have touched one it is gone.

Sea trout anglers just accept it as what happens some nights.

Andy

Mrwayne

Trimming the tail is kind of retarded. If the fish eats it the ehole thing is getting eaten. steady rhythmic retrieve simulating wounded prey unable to get away....jerk strip and figure of 8 jerk strip add some animation to the fly...

Mrwayne

Trimming the tail is kind of retarded. If the fish eats it the ehole thing is getting eaten. steady rhythmic retrieve simulating wounded prey unable to get away....jerk strip and figure of 8 jerk strip add some animation to the fly...

JobberDun

Thank you for replies. I will take on board all your advice and hopefully improve my catch rate.

Russ

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Thank you for replies. I will take on board all your advice and hopefully improve my catch rate.

Russ
Russ, one other thing you should do is check the way the fly is swimming!
Sometimes lures with long tails, and beadheads, tail gets tangled round hook bend, this causes fly to swim at angles it should'nt!
That could cause the fly to be sideways on when the take occurs, resulting in missed hook up.
regards
Bert

JobberDun

Thank you Bert. I do normally check how the fly looks when I lift it out of the water, but will certainly pay more attention to this now that I am aware of it.

Russ