Sid Knight

Wee Jimmy

Sorry to hear this. I used to buy flies from Sid when I first took up fly fishing and didn’t have the confidence to tie my own.I remember one carded selection in particular, they were mini lures, all the favourites of the time...mini appetiser,Jack Frost,Viva.Little gems they were,beautifully tied.

muddlaminno

Very sad. I remember walking up the stairs to his little office/shop/tying desk in Whitburn Street in Bridgnorth to discuss some new killer pattern with him and get a few ordered.

vital

Always sad to hear that someone has left the fold and the mortal coil. Didn't know the chap, but Graham Pullen on TA Fishing Show fly episodes always seemed to mention his patterns, in particular the 'Pearly Daddy'.

clag

RIP Sid. With his passing, is that the last direct connection with the Dog Nobbler IP furore of the early 1980s gone?

Regards

CLaG

Gdog

I've just seen this post sitting on the train on the way home from my first day in the office this year. It might be a coincidence, but I was out fishing on a club water yesterday. It was very windy, the fishing has been very hard the last 2 months, some of the other members told me they have seen very few trout on the surface on the last month. I tried buzzers and blood worms on a sink tip with no success. I put on a white dog nobbler as there are some sticklebacks present, let it sink, and caught my only trout of the day on it after about 5 minutes.
I've rarely used these flies and haven't used a dog nobbler at all for about 20 years. I bought a few earlier in the year to try at this water next winter. I was thinking afterwards about how popular this fly used to be and it has become unfashionable. It certainly saved a blank yesterday. Thanks Sid.

The Squire

RIP Sid. With his passing, is that the last direct connection with the Dog Nobbler IP furore of the early 1980s gone?

Regards

CLaG
You may well be correct, I’m not sure if Bob Carnhill is still with us. I think he was one of the innovators and I recollect reading his column where he used the DN to great success on the Derbyshire Derwent. Would imagine he got a few ‘funny looks‘ so to speak!

vital

I seem to remember reading somewhere (possibly FFF) that TH was claiming the Dog Nobbler as his own pattern, but supposedly it wasn't !?

JohnH

I seem to remember reading somewhere (possibly FFF) that TH was claiming the Dog Nobbler as his own pattern, but supposedly it wasn't !?
Trevor Housby christened the fly and publicised it, I'm pretty sure it hit the public domain in about 1980. Sid tied TH's flies for him and sought to trademark the name of the fly, not sure it did him too much good in the long run but it's all now ancient history.

However;

Similar patterns had certainly been around both in the UK and North America for some time before 1980. In Dick Walker's small water stalking chapter in the 1976 book "Stillwater Trout Fisheries", he advocates "leadheads" of various colours as one of the stalker's go-to patterns. From memory, these Walker leadheads were almost identical to nobblers...

Rob Edmunds

Not wishing to take the tread in a different direction .

But......didn't Trevor Housby create the first pattern of this type or at least make it famous " the Lead Head".....Sid then tied, and copyrighted a very very similar pattern and called it " The Dog Nobbler"

As such only Sid could sell Dog Nobbler Flies.....

( the 1st fly to have copyright as I understand)

This spawned a lot of simular type flies........Frognobbler ( Bob Church).....Puppies or Puppy Lure ( Bob Church) ... etc...

JohnH

But......didn't Trevor Housby create the first pattern of this type or at least make it famous " the Lead Head".....Sid then tied, and copyrighted a very very similar pattern and called it " The Dog Nobbler"

This spawned a lot of simular type flies........Frognobbler ( Bob Church).....Puppies or Puppy Lure ( Bob Church) ... etc...
Rob;

From Bob himself in the excellent book "Fly fishing for trout" that he co-authored with Peter Gathercole in the mid 1990s;

"The next breakthrough came in about 1980 when Trevor Housby, from Hampshire, introduced us to the infamous Dog Nobbler. This lure had (sic) an enticing action which trout everywhere seemed unable to resist. But why did Trevor give it such a name ? He reckoned it sorted out the big old "dog" trout when other lures or flies failed, and he wasn't far wrong ".

As you say the tackle trade easily got around Sid Knight's trademark by simply slightly varying the name, or dropping one or other of the two words, or changing the dog reference, and in Steve Parton's case something downright filthy !

Last edited:

clag

Here is my understanding, but I have some gaps:

Trevor Housby introduced the Dog Nobbler to the World in TF September 1980. It was the first TF I ever bought so memorable. Here is cover and article:

Cover TF Sep 1980.jpg

Page 1 of article

DN 1 TF Sep 1980.jpg

Page 2

DN 2 TF Sep 1980.jpg

After an initial furore, the popularity of the fly died down until an article by Bob Carnhill in TF circa 1983 where he did step by steps on how to tie and how to fish it. Boom. Here is where things start going a little hazy for me.

At some point in the early eighties Sid Knight, after the Carnhill article, took out a patent on the fly. I think I am right in saying it's only the second time in history this has been done on a fly. It casued a lot of controversy at the time. I do not know if this was with Housby's consent as he may have passed away by then.

What it meant was nobody other than Knight could sell a fly called a dog nobbler. Ever the pragmatist, Bob Church bought out a range of flies called Leadheads which gained prominance with his Benson and Hedges video with Ogelsby at Avington.

The Highpoint of the dog nobbler was when Gordon Frazer launched the Pink One circa 1984.

In June 1985 TF launched the Cat's Whisker and the DN slightly fadded in to the background.

I'm not making any judgement on the rights and wrongs of all this. However, if anyone knows the correct timeline I'd be interested to hear.

Regards

CLaG

Last edited:

Latest posts