Sid Knight

JohnH

I think your timeline is pretty accurate CLaG, see my couple of posts upthread as well. Two points from my copy of Trevor Housby's last book, "The Illustrated Angler", posthumously published in 1996. He passed not long before publication, which was finally done thanks to the combined efforts of Charles Jardine and the late Chris Dawn. So well after Sid trademarked the name of the fly, and there's no record of any reaction, positive or negative, to this from TH. And one of the two introductions to the book, one each from CJ and CD, confirm what the article says, that TH was inspired by American bass bugs. Again, don't know if he was also aware of Dick Walker's Leadheads, but they did fish some of the same Hampshire smallwaters like Damerham and Avington at about the same time, so it would have been no surprise if he did...

Last edited:

Rob Edmunds

CLAG I can't remember exactly but id say your right - I'd have only got the info from T. Fisherman back then.👍👍

TH was an all round angler wasn't he...not just a fly Fisherman

I distinctly do remember 1985 when Dave Train came up with the Cats Whisker at Ringstead Grange Trout Fishery again a simular style fly .....

I was a Ringstead lad (13 years old back then) and fished the Grange every week and the Cats Whisker instantly became my favourite fly, it blew me away at how easy it was to catch on it

Chartreuse and white has been a killing combination for years.....I seem to think the US phrase was " if it ain't Chartreuse it ain't no use" ...I believe that was Lefty Kreh

Out of interest what other flies have been trademarked here in the UK.....I'm not aware of any others

PaulD

Out of interest what other flies have been trademarked here in the UK.....I'm not aware of any others
A good few years ago a tier who was regularly published - can't remember his name - who attempted to trademark a fly that had featured in a number of his articles. From memory it was along the lines of an upside down/reverse tied dry fly. Also from memory, the 'trademark' was refused due to the fact that as a fly, constructed of a range of materials, which could easily be varied, and common construction techniques, there was nothing there that could be trademarked.

I'm pretty sure Arkle will remember the name, (Dave something?) and the nature of the fly . . . which didn't achieve the notoriety of the Dog Nobbler.

running bear

There was a patent rather than a trademark on a method of weaving a fly. It was featured in fly fishing and fly tying IIRC in the mid to late 80s.

The demo fly was a brown and green bug, tied on a large grub hook (size 10 I think from memory), which now we'd say was a woven Czech nymph or caterpillar type effort. Memory tells me it was created using a fairly heavy material, maybe fine suede chenille, but could have been a heavy poly yarn.

They had a discussion on the patent process, and how this method couldn't be used by any commercial tyer etc etc but we were all free to tie at home or buy from the originator, as any box without this would not catch fish...

arkle

Running Bear, Yes I agree with you on the patent fact.

However a, not 100% sure that "Suede Ch." was around to tyers at that date & b, poly yarn, albeit heavy/whatever, is lighter than water & has a tendency to float. The original body material for the "Dog N." was ostrich herl & when the likes of Bob Church started having them made, it very soon got changed to (normal) chenille, which is very much faster to tie with & more durable. Bob also changed at least one of his own patterns, the church fry from marabou floss to chenille, as well as other patterns like Dick Walker's Sweeny Todd.

running bear

Running Bear, Yes I agree with you on the patent fact.

However a, not 100% sure that "Suede Ch." was around to tyers at that date & b, poly yarn, albeit heavy/whatever, is lighter than water & has a tendency to float. The original body material for the "Dog N." was ostrich herl & when the likes of Bob Church started having them made, it very soon got changed to (normal) chenille, which is very much faster to tie with & more durable. Bob also changed at least one of his own patterns, the church fry from marabou floss to chenille, as well as other patterns like Dick Walker's Sweeny Todd.
Arkle, the fly with the chellie/yarn wasn't a dog nobbler, it was an altogether different creation, much lagging the DN in timeline.

I just had a look to see of I could find thw article and I might be early with my timeline. The 1990s step by steps in fly fishing and fly tying were in black and white, and I recall this pattern being in colour, so probably early to mid 90s.

It was a leaded woven two tone bug, with some heavy synthetic material, although the patent aspect IIRC was on the weaving process, irrespetive ot material.

However, clealy it wasnt effective or make it's creator rich or we'd all know about it and still be using it.

clag

CLAG I can't remember exactly but id say your right - I'd have only got the info from T. Fisherman back then.👍👍

TH was an all round angler wasn't he...not just a fly Fisherman

I distinctly do remember 1985 when Dave Train came up with the Cats Whisker at Ringstead Grange Trout Fishery again a simular style fly .....

I was a Ringstead lad (13 years old back then) and fished the Grange every week and the Cats Whisker instantly became my favourite fly, it blew me away at how easy it was to catch on it

Chartreuse and white has been a killing combination for years.....I seem to think the US phrase was " if it ain't Chartreuse it ain't no use" ...I believe that was Lefty Kreh

I remember TH on the Fishing Race in the 70. Yes he was an all rounder.

I bought TF with the Cats Whisker on the day it came out. By chance I had the materials and tied two up. It so happened I was due to fish Portmore the next evening. I did and caught 3 good fish to 4lbs including a Brown Trout. I sometimes wonder if I was the first person in Scotland to catch a trout on a cats whisker in Scotland :)