sights for ar 15 for deer hunting

annar12

I'm planning on getting a red dot for my new AR-15, maybe a Tasco or a TRUGLO, and I'm wondering if I should also get iron sights as well. Typically if you have a red dot, are iron sights needed (maybe to co-witness)? I've seen people with BUIS, FIS and a red dot. I've also seen people with FIS and a red dot, but no BUIS. And then there are the people only with a red dot. Which setup is more practical?

Also, I've heard that some people with Iron sights and a red dot say they don't even use the iron sights to co-witness, they're just there for back up. Is that necessary?

Also, if anyone can give imput on my red dot selection it'd be great. I did some research and Tasco and TRUGLO kept popping up, so I assume they're usable. But which one do you prefer? (I'm probably going to get the sub $50 versions). Will I need a mount or spacer for the red dots? Or will they be fine just on the flap-top.

Last edited:

BlueFrog

Hi annar, I doubt you'll get any advice on mounting Red Dot sights on your AR 15, I've never heard of anyone shooting deer in the UK with one, AR 15 that is.

There's no semi auto rifles allowed in the UK, (apart from 22's) they were banned after the Micheal Ryan episode in Hungerford.

BF.

sewinbasher

The OP is clearly one of our American friends where things are different. There's no possibility of using AR15 for deerstalking (or anything) in the UK. There is now virtually no use of open sights in the UK, depending on the situation it's either conventional telescopic or a red dot option like Aim Point for closer range work. I recently saw an option for having both on the rifle at the same time. The last time I used open sights was when stalking boar in the Forest of Dean, we had a .457 Heym for dealing with potentially dangerous wounded boar at close range at night where we needed to put the animal down and not have it get up again.

Red dot systems are widely used for driven boar and deer shooting in Europe.

Last edited:

4wings

I found the red dot type sights took a good while to get used to and preferred a low magnification,
tele. sight like a 3x Zeiss.
I only shoot Air Rifles

Uncas

I used an Aim-Point 2x dot on a 7x64 for driven Boar, when i zeroed it I found you could use it quite happily out to 200 yards at a target.
All my shot's where taken under 75 yards on the Boar, the largest was around the 100kg mark.
Would not hesitate to use one for woodland hunting.

Latest posts