sigma-supra-fly-rods

SirHarryLewis

I tend to purchase mid price rods mostly (Greys, Guideline) but I am thinking of buying a 7ft 3 weight one for small trout on a small river. Any reason I should not?

SirHarryLewis

Don't forget your discount code :

Or any other from their range . Check out the 'MatchCatch' (sic) thread.......
Wait... I have a discount code?

Where will that order be shipped from cause you know the planet etc

Rhithrogena

I have the 7'6" Sigma Supra 3wt and it is a nice rod. Casts nicely and is well finished.
I also bought a Maxcatch Extreme 8'6" 4wt over the summer and know that if I need to replace the Sigma it will be with another Maxcatch.
Took almost exactly a month for the order to arrive from China.

speytime

I had a 10ft 6# sigma supra it's a great rod action wise, plenty of back bone but in 10ft a little heavy, the agility 2 is a much lighter alternative.

Weight for weight the agility rise is one of the lightest rods I have, 8ft 4# @76 grams iirc, the agility 9.6ft agility 2 is as light in the hand as my other rods I've paid silly money for.

I spoiled myself recently with a loop opti but had promised myself not too, the agility has everything I want in a rod.
No the loop doesn't cast any better (it's different) but I expected that anyway.

Al

SirHarryLewis

I had a 10ft 6# sigma supra it's a great rod action wise, plenty of back bone but in 10ft a little heavy, the agility 2 is a much lighter alternative.

Weight for weight the agility rise is one of the lightest rods I have, 8ft 4# @76 grams iirc, the agility 9.6ft agility 2 is as light in the hand as my other rods I've paid silly money for.

I spoiled myself recently with a loop opti but had promised myself not too, the agility has everything I want in a rod.
No the loop doesn't cast any better (it's different) but I expected that anyway.

Al
I have had a look. So far can only see a 3#

jonbee56

I have the 7'6" Sigma Supra 3wt and it is a nice rod. Casts nicely and is well finished.
I also bought a Maxcatch Extreme 8'6" 4wt over the summer and know that if I need to replace the Sigma it will be with another Maxcatch.
Took almost exactly a month for the order to arrive from China.
I’ve an Extreme 8’4” 3# handles really well and very light ... don’t laugh but it was just below £20 (when using the discount code). Highly recommended, the case is plastic, so that cut down on the price... but it’ll take 4-6 weeks for delivery.

speytime

I was talking to a chap on the sff who recently bought a maxcatch.. ? rod and he loves it, he said it ranks along with any of the brand names we all know and love, iirc £25
I'll get the model later I'm mobile atm.

Al

Hardrar

I replaced the cork and reel seat on my 8’-6”#5 Sigma supra and dropped the weight over an ounce. Top cork and reel seat cost more than the rod! Handles and looks as tidy as some of the £700 rods in my collection now!

len1

There’s a Welsh guy on YouTube with a channel called something like Rhys Fishes. In one of his videos he raves about Shakespeare Sigma rods as excellent value for money. Says something like £160 for a middle of the road rod or four value for money Shakespeares. It’s a no brainer.

noel

Thought I would have a look on YouTube for a review of these rods and the Shakespeare vid is from 1 of my local fisheries Langley Dam .

Last edited:

vital

You could look at the Agility Rise 2 range,
I've got a 6' #3 weight for small rivers like the Meon or SW streams, I can't fault it. It's never going to be used for long casts, but great at poking about beneath the canopy, etc. It only costs a few pints more than the Sigmas!

delray

Brilliant value, the whole lot; Agility 2, Agility Rise 2 and the Supra's. Readily available, they've pretty much got fly fishing on a budget covered, and I don't mean cheap and nasty. Quality stuff.
Del