Silk for glass n grass

stevel

With my "ultimate" glass outfit taking shape I've become silk curious again after some 10 years.
I contacted Koji Yano, whose lines I loved when I did fish them, and placed an order with him for a half length 4 weight DT silk to match my upcoming Ijuin/Kineya small fish/river outfit; in the many years since I gave it up, he's become very popular and in demand, and it's on the list for delivery in up to a year's time!
In the meantime I purchased a half length silk line from a local maker Ian Moxon in the north of England, selling them on ebay. I first found him on Instagram, I followed his posts of his silk line making with interest and finally placed an order to see what they were like. They're very reasonable, (this half length was around £60), delivered in an eco-friendly, no-frills cardboard box, with complimentary tin of line grease and a silk leader.
Instructions said not to try and accelerate the breakin process, however I had done this for all the lines I had previously owned (Phoenix, Terenzio and Yano), and so used the Yano recommended method of a smooth chrome towel rail. I applied grease then pulled it back and forth over the chrome bar about 100 times each metre or so. It took short time to do this and I'll continue for the next couple of days. In truth this line seems quite pre-broken in, and I probably won't need to break in as much as any of the other lines, especially the Terenzio which as I recall was like a stiff cable when delivered.
This line appears very slim, like the Yanos I liked so much. I look forward to reporting on its performance, especially given its pretty low cost.
Probably not much chance of trying it out on the river, however I may pop out to my local which offers fishing for coarse fish in the off-season. ;)
Moxon silk.jpg

Last edited:
G

GEK79

With my "ultimate" glass outfit taking shape I've become silk curious again after some 10 years.
I contacted Koji Yano, whose lines I loved when I did fish them, and placed an order with him for a half length 4 weight DT silk to match my upcoming Ijuin/Kineya small fish/river outfit; in the many years since I gave it up, he's become very popular and in demand, and it's on the list for delivery in up to a year's time!
In the meantime I purchased a half length silk line from a local maker Ian Moxon in the north of England, selling them on ebay. I first found him on Instagram, I followed his posts of his silk line making with interest and finally placed an order to see what they were like. They're very reasonable, (this half length was around £60), delivered in an eco-friendly, no-frills cardboard box, with complimentary tin of line grease and a silk leader.
Instructions said not to try and accelerate the breakin process, however I had done this for all the lines I had previously owned (Phoenix, Terenzio and Yano), and so used the Yano recommended method of a smooth chrome towel rail. I applied grease then pulled it back and forth over the chrome bar about 100 times each metre or so. It took short time to do this and I'll continue for the next couple of days. In truth this line seems quite pre-broken in, and I probably won't need to break in as much as any of the other lines, especially the Terenzio which as I recall was like a stiff cable when delivered.
This line appears very slim, like the Yanos I liked so much. I look forward to reporting on its performance, especially given its pretty low cost.
Probably not much chance of trying it out on the river, however I may pop out to my local which offers fishing for coarse fish in the off-season. ;)
View attachment 32613
Will await the update..

stevel

Love the line-winder/drier; is it available currently?
I'm not sure, as I got it many years ago when I was silk mad. It was the Rolls of winders, made by Struble, which has now ceased trading. It has a little bar attachment in place of the winding handle for spools of line or backing. In truth it's not as flexible as the Angler's Image (or copies) since it makes fixed size loops, but it has a nice adjustable bench clamp and also a reel seat on the handle allowing you to attach your reel and load the backing/line without getting into contortions! :)
I got mine from Phoenix in France they may have some. When I got mine there were tensions as both a Phoenix and the winder were lost in transit (ie pinched) and they had to replace them.
struble2.jpg
struble1.jpg

Last edited:

stevel

Will await the update..
The line or the outfit? ;)
If the former, I may get out next weekend, will see if I can tempt some chub on the Amwell beats, cleverly avoiding the trout! ;)
If the latter, it will be March at least before that's started. All parts are in place, I'm just awaiting my turn in Sandy's long queue of people asking for a build, though have had lots of chats about things like spacers, fittings etc.

pati

Hi Steve

Interesting, do you prefer Yano over Phoenix and why?
I have tried quite a few brands (not Yano though) and always come back to my Phœnix. Admittedly they take a bit more time to break in than others but once they are, I found nothing coming close!

Thanks

G

GEK79

The line or the outfit? ;)
If the former, I may get out next weekend, will see if I can tempt some chub on the Amwell beats, cleverly avoiding the trout! ;)
If the latter, it will be March at least before that's started. All parts are in place, I'm just awaiting my turn in Sandy's long queue of people asking for a build, though have had lots of chats about things like spacers, fittings etc.
I hope for a line report next week and an outfit report when it's ready..

stevel

Hi Steve

Interesting, do you prefer Yano over Phoenix and why?
I have tried quite a few brands (not Yano though) and always come back to my Phœnix. Admittedly they take a bit more time to break in than others but once they are, I found nothing coming close!

Thanks
I hope for a line report next week and an outfit report when it's ready..
Hi pati,
In truth the problems I had with Phoenix were more to do with those such as outlined above, and quality control on another line which had to be replaced, but took a lot of time, like 6 months. Though the smoothest of all lines (they are like glass), I read on the Borger site, that this was actually a synthetic coating. I always found that the mucilin lasted a very short time (a couple of hours), especially in waters where there was quite a bit of turbulence. The Terenzio I found was more usable, though it was quite coarse; and quite a bit thicker than the Phoenix, also requiring quite a bit of breakin as the initial product is very stiff and dry.
The Yanos I found wonderful; much more raw than the Phoenix with quite a bit of texture (you can really feel the grain of the weave), however once you got it broken in after a few days then start to use it in anger, it begins to get quite smooth. It's a very fine line. I think I did mic them many years back and I recall that they were slimmer, though my Phoenix was a DT5 and my Yanos were DT 3.5, 4 and WF6 (hybrid), so really apples and oranges. The Terenzio was quite fat, Koji said that Yano was made with an "envelope", which I thought to mean that the actual silk line is covered in a sleeve of sorts.
When the Yanos are completely broken in, they were like a lump of jelly in your hand, cast beautifully, landed lightly, but curiously still shot like nobody's business. Koji actually sent me his personal line for me to try out (and subsequently return), I loved that line and didn't want to return it!
I auctioned off all my silk lines for the Let's Tackle Cancer charity when I went off to the Land of Spey.
Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

stevel

Well I popped out with my 10yo son to Amwell club waters today to show him around, give him (and me!) some casting practice, and hopefully get a fish on the end.
Well before we even cast the first line, he fell in! 😒 Luckily a second set of clothes was packed but he was already chilled and I didn't have much hope of staying too long, but we gave it a go.
The rod is a rod I had built for my 6yo daughter by Tim Harris, a 5'6" #4 based on the Mountain Creek taper by Bob Nunley. It's a great little stick, my daughter caught lots of fish with it before finding more interesting things. We started off on the plastic line, a Rio Selective Trout WF4 before moving onto the silk.
His casting wasn't too bad, would have been nice for him to have a fish on but no such luck, nothing moving at all. It did however look in great knick with the best flows I've seen in the river in years.
The silk wasn't as good as I had hoped. It wasn't awful, but even as the maker admits, It's no Yano.
It feels more like dacron backing than a silk line, with a very dry harsh feel to it. I had done the breaking in routine for about 4 days the previous week and although it felt quite limp, it had a hard, harsh feel to it. It also knotted quite easily, unlike any silk line I've used before.
The rasping sound through the guides was harsh, with a loud scraping noise. It however cast quite well, and loaded the rod and shot better than the 4wt Rio Selective Trout I had on previously.
I'll keep trying it out next season, hopefully it will improve with use.
noah amwell.jpg

Last edited:
G

GEK79

Well I popped out with my 10yo son to Amwell club waters today to show him around, give him (and me!) some casting practice, and hopefully get a fish on the end.
Well before we even cast the first line, he fell in! 😒 Luckily a second set of clothes was packed but he was already chilled and I didn't have much hope of staying too long, but we gave it a go.
The rod is a rod I had built for my 6yo daughter by Tim Harris, a 5'6" #4 based on the Mountain Creek taper by Bob Nunley. It's a great little stick, my daughter caught lots of fish with it before finding more interesting things. We started off on the plastic line, a Rio Selective Trout WF4 before moving onto the silk.
His casting wasn't too bad, would have been nice for him to have a fish on but no such luck, nothing moving at all. It did however look in great knick with the best flows I've seen in the river in years.
The silk wasn't as good as I had hoped. It wasn't awful, but even as the maker admits, It's no Yano.
It feels more like dacron backing than a silk line, with a very dry harsh feel to it. I had done the breaking in routine for about 4 days the previous week and although it felt quite limp, it had a hard, harsh feel to it. It also knotted quite easily, unlike any silk line I've used before.
The rasping sound through the guides was harsh, with a loud scraping noise. It however cast quite well, and loaded the rod and shot better than the 4wt Rio Selective Trout I had on previously.
I'll keep trying it out next season, hopefully it will improve with use.View attachment 32816
A future world champion I'm sure.. I'm glad you had a good day with him..