Silk line broke at loop

Spider

Whilst fishing yesterday my silk fly line broke just before the loop. I've been very careful with it, always stripping line after use and leaving it to dry naturally.

I've probably lost an inch off it now, as I just tied on the leader with an overhand knot.

What would be the best way of connecting the leader now or getting a loop tied in.

The leader butt is 15lb Chameleon

Tks all.

running bear

Contact the supplier. Chances are they can splice it or whip it and revarnish. If not they should at least give advice.

Otherise needle knot or try and splice/knot yourself.

Ive only started with silk last year and after breaking in they are amazing, but the loops do look delicate.

PaulD

I have whipped a loop, combining the two ends with Evo-stik Impact, on to the end of my silk line and the loop is sound with no problems . . .

Silk Line Loop.jpg

elver1

I’d forget the loop and go with a Castwell Knot. I use it with my silk line it looks too simple but I’ve never a proble.

Reactions: JCP

easker1

I have used a Figure "8" knot for all my joins I have never liked the Braided loops , I have not had to shorten my line after it has been knotted, there is a possibility that you silk line snapped because there was trapped moisture under the whipping on your loop if this was true then the silk has rotted , just an Idea, easker1

webblade

Contact the supplier. Chances are they can splice it or whip it and revarnish. If not they should at least give advice.

Otherise needle knot or try and splice/knot yourself.

Ive only started with silk last year and after breaking in they are amazing, but the loops do look delicate.
I also started to use silk last season and I worry sometimes about how delicate the loop looks.

pati

Take a fine needle and push it through the end of the line slowly (I find it helpful to it the needle in the jaws of my vise for this step, but works manually too). Once the needle is inserted in about 1cm of line pierce the line to the side and leave the needle in. Take a stiff nylon and push it through the line following the needle. Make sure to leave about 20cm of nylon from the “side exit” of the line. Use the thickest stiff leader possible to follow the needle. On my 4wt lines I typically use maximachameleon 37%. Put a tiny tiny dab of superglue on the 1cm of nylon that will ultimately be inside the line and then pull it inside the line (put the glue on the nylon on the “side” exit and then pull the nylon into the line from the end of the line-this to avoid excess glue on the end of the line).
With the 20cm excess nylon coming out from the side of the line, tie a nail knot tightening it very slowly ensuring it lays perfectly flat on the line.

It is a bit finicky but totally worth it!!!
The result is a pretty much indestructible yet absolutely seamless and more importantly it gets the leader to be perfectly in line with the line.

You can do the same with plastic line but without the nail knot (instead burn the end of the maxima so it forms a clot, glue the last cm of maxima just before the clot and then pull the nylon through the line). It is not as seamless as the version with the nail knot but still very stealthy, the leader is perfectly in line with the line and absolutely indestructible!

splinters

This happened to my #4 silk. I just whipped on a new loop with uni thread and sewed the end through the wrap a few times. Then I saturated it with Mucilin red. That was two years ago, it's still fine.
S.

Spider

I dont think that would work with my silk line. The end of the silk line is so fine it cant be split - its only a 2wt

If I manage something like a needle knot, can I dab a bit of epoxy on it and then use the UV torch, or is superglue more flexible

Alternatively maybe just bend the silk into a small loop and use thread?

Again, would putting a little epoxy on the thread to seal it be right or wrong for this - or again is superglue better?

Tks all

JCP

How short can you leave the little tag on the castwells and still be safe of it holding?
I use braided and mono furled leaders a fair amount and several are attached via a Castwell Knot.Have not had a problem to date and tag is trimmed close once the knot is set.Used it on lines 3-7wt.

JP

lhomme

I dont think that would work with my silk line. The end of the silk line is so fine it cant be split - its only a 2wt

If I manage something like a needle knot, can I dab a bit of epoxy on it and then use the UV torch, or is superglue more flexible

Alternatively maybe just bend the silk into a small loop and use thread?

Again, would putting a little epoxy on the thread to seal it be right or wrong for this - or again is superglue better?

Tks all
I always used a soft sealer on all fly lines, Aquasure or Stormsure. I only glued my inline (no knot) leaders with waterresistant superglue, and put a soft coating over the connection.

Vermontdrifter

How short can you leave the little tag on the castwells and still be safe of it holding?
Extra short! I literally have it nearly flush with the line and it has never slipped. The more tension there is the tighter the knot gets and it slides easily through the rings plus the slight texture of the line and the furlie give a bit more grip. The couple of times I’ve changed the furlie I’ve just cut the loop on the furlie and using a needle and much cursing slipped it free which automatically opens the knot. Work the tip of the line with your dressing of choice to straighten it and you’re ready to attach the new furlie. Try the knot with two lines one of which is tied to a fixed object then try to pull them apart, the line will break before the knot comes undone.

easker1

when I have made a mono connection on my plastic line I use a piece of shrinkfit tubing on it, easker1

Spider

I don't think the castwell suits? At present I have a silk line (snapped) and a mono line, but neither is looped. Unfortunately I don't have aquasure. If a coat is to be used to either seal a thread loop or seal a knot, would varnish, epoxy or glue be OK choices?

stevel

The Phoenix lines used to come (and probably still do) without a loop, and I used to either nail knot on a piece of thickish mono with a surgeons' knot on the end, or just fold over the end of the silk line to make a small loop and whip it and cover with KnotSense.