Silk lines on fast rods

running bear

North County Dublin, but always a South Down man
I’ve been looking to get ‘into silk’ for a while now, river dries on a 4 weight.

I don’t like soft/slow/full actioned rods (call them what you will), and the rivers I fish don’t like them either (strong downstream prevailing winds, very exposed), so if I was to go slow I’d be upping to a #5. I’m interested in silk because of the wind casting qualities and general presentation benefits.

Do any of you fish silk on proper fast rods? How do you find it? Does it do well with high end ultra fast Orvis/sages/Hardy etc?

running bear

Hi

I do. I use silk mostly on a bamboo rod that is ultrafast, I also use silk with my Redington NTis which are also very fast rods.

You will need quality silk lines as the low end ones don’t like fast rods. I can recommend Phoenix or http://www.oliveflylines.com/
(https://m.facebook.com/Oliveflylines-390138508007465/posts/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0).

Hope it helps
I’ve been looking at both Phoenix and Terenzio lines, however unsure how you’re supposed to order from the latter! Olive fly lines is a new lead.
Thanks

pati

I much prefer Phoenix over Terrenzio

OliveFlyLines are also better than Terrenzio in my opinion.

sofasurfer

Pati,

"You will need quality silk lines as the low end ones don’t like fast rods "

Can you explain please ?

pati

Pati,

"You will need quality silk lines as the low end ones don’t like fast rods "

Can you explain please ?
With faster rods you get tighter loops and exaggerated angle at the tip of the rod. With a quality line no problem but on less supple lines, the dressing may not support that and start to crack. At least that s what I have read on forums: never had any issues of that sort with my Phoenix/OliveFlyLines!!!

running bear

I just ordered my first silk line. Ordered a four weight half line in terracotta from Terenzio as the least expensive way to try a quality silk line. It’s destined for use on a Clearwater 9’ #4 and a Zephrus 9’ #4. If I get on with it, i will look at other tapers and full lines.

I built a line dryer out of recycled materials and off cuts in anticipation. It won’t win any joinery or design awards, but it does fit snuggly where I intended. The main dowels are salvaged from an Argos wine rack!

Attachments