Silly question about fly line...

Banksie

Bought a s/h Airflo Sixth Sense Lake WF #5/6 intermediate line. It has two different colours ; light green and a darker green, the bulk of it light green. Which end is which?
(...said the bishop)

ohanzee

One end is level thickness running line, quite thin, and the front end has a tapering tip back to a thicker 'belly', if you hold one end and double it over to compare with the other you will see the difference in thickness.

speytime

The end with the fattest section 15/20 feet into the line.
The right end will gradually get thicker over the 1st 10/15ft the other end is level for near 60ft.

Al

Banksie

I had it on the wrong way round. Anyway, I spooled it off the reel straight into a bucket of warm water with just one drop of Fairy, as a little goes a long way. Respooled it and nipped over to the park this morning and what a difference! Cast further than I ever have, so now feel ready for the river. Thanks again. 😎

PaulD

. . . nipped over to the park this morning and what a difference! Cast further than I ever have, so now feel ready for the river.
"Bought a s/h Airflo Sixth Sense Lake WF #5/6 intermediate line." . . . and you're river fishing?

PaulD

How big a river is it? Why an intermediate? An Airflo WF 5/6 is quite a heavy line for the majority of rivers.

delray

The fish won’t know. Anyway, what’s the difference?
Hee hee, good point, but they may know when a heavy line hits the water and go scattering off spooking others etc and it could cause a kerfuffle when you lift off too as it'll possibly settle into the surface film.
Just my theories.
What rivers are you fishing down there? A lot of the Salisbury members will fish with floating 3 wts and perhaps even 2 wts; heavily fished waters with spooky fish requires some delicacy, and some of those lads/lasses know what they're about, unlike me...

PaulD

"The Airflo Sixth Sense Fly Lines are up there with the best general purpose trout fly lines and are perfectly suited to both reservoir and stillwater fly fishing. The Sixth Sense range is based on Airflo’s Delta taper and at 105ft in length, it is 15ft longer than a regular fly line which is sure to serve you well when throwing those extra long casts."

Banksie's description would indicate he's bought the Fast Intermediate line aimed at fishing 2/3/4ft down on a still water.

Last edited:

Banksie

Bugger. All points well taken though.

Thing is, I bought the often advised #5 weight rod (a 9’6” in this case) to practise casting in the park and was happy doing just that. Was having trouble with a #5 WF floating line so stepped up a tad to see if it would make an improvement... which it did.
Seems like the added extra weight of an intermediate line may have given me a false start. Have to decide now, do I need a heavier WF floating line, that suits the rod, or start again with a lighter rod. Again... bugger.

River is pretty wide near me at the Britford stretch (LAA), though narrower further along, and in other areas around Salisbury (SAC). I’m lucky to have access to them all, so definitely don’t want to miss out.
Thank you all for the heads up.

Bugger.

hutch6

Thing is, I bought the often advised #5 weight rod (a 9’6” in this case) to practise casting in the park and was happy doing just that. Was having trouble with a #5 WF floating line so stepped up a tad to see if it would make an improvement... which it did.
Seems like the added extra weight of an intermediate line may have given me a false start. Have to decide now, do I need a heavier WF floating line, that suits the rod, or start again with a lighter rod. Again... bugger.

River is pretty wide near me at the Britford stretch (LAA), though narrower further along, and in other areas around Salisbury (SAC). I’m lucky to have access to them all, so definitely don’t want to miss out.

Bugger.
I've used a #5 DT on rivers up here that are about five yards wide an ankle deep. Not a problem in catching fish. IS it over kill? Maybe, but I also used the same rod on Saturday on a still water thus one rod for still water and rivers.
If it's a cartridge reel then use that line for still waters and another for rivers or just accept that you might not catch mega spooky trout but are they worth the extra cash just to get a lighter setup?

How dedicated are you in this pursuit of madness we find ourselves in?

delray

I fished the Britford stretch some while ago with a pal; we fly fished and it was the coarse (course?) season and the centre pin lads were there too. I think we had 2 fish all day, the 'trotters' between them had huge amounts of trout and were complaining as they were after Roach.

Back to your set up; not much wrong with a 5wt, albeit a little overgunned, but the 5/6 intermediate isn't going to cut it in my opinion. I'm wondering if there's something not quite right with your WF5 line. I would say a good all round set up for Salisbury and District would be 8ft 6in 4wt, with a WF4F or DT4 line.
There's some good stuff out there for not too much money, Shakey Agility Rise 2 rod for example, under 50 quid. A Luke Bannister WF4 for £20, Barrio lines for £25 or wait for something nice to appear on here second hand (most of my gear!).

Good luck.
Del

speytime

Instead of over lining why not get a more compact head, a barrio small stream comes to mind, for a given length you should have more weight out of the tip?
Eta...
The head is only 24ft including the 7ft rear taper and weighs within aftma for the line weights.

Al

Last edited:

boisker

Bugger.
Or rather than change your rod, just learn to cast better.... if you buy a lighter rod and matched lighter line you likely to find casting harder than with your current 5w rod.

PaulD

Please believe my post/s weren't designed to p*ss you off, rather to try and steer you away from making some decisions that would only end up in causing disappointment.

Casting does seem to be something that's causing a bit of a problem and as Boisker says, getting some guidance and instruction would probably 'set your stall out' for making some rapid progress and give you a clearer view of how things should 'work'.

If you follow this link . . .

. . . you will be able to get in touch with a qualified instructor, someone who will listen to what you're trying to do, the fishing you're undertaking and the issues you're finding challenging. Alternatively, you'll find my contact details on the site (Paul Dunstan NN12 7NU), if you'd like to contact me first.

original cormorant

Seems like the added extra weight of an intermediate line may have given me a false start. Have to decide now, do I need a heavier WF floating line, that suits the rod, or start again with a lighter rod.
Certainly would be a false start, a #5 intermediate line will weigh the same as a #5 floating line, it will just be more dense.

The advice about casting lessons is very well founded.

Banksie

All good points. And no, you didn’t p!ss me off, Paul. I appreciate everyone’s thoughts on this matter.

I’ll probably have to bite the bullet and get some instruction. It’ll be a shortcut to what’s personally suitable for me by someone who knows the water around here. I’ll leave my own rod at home and use what’s supplied.

I do like the idea of a shorter rod though, but it’ll be prudent to wait a little before I spend any more money. I’ll still check all suggestions though.

For the record, the original #5 weight line was a Fladen. I know now that they’re not highly regarded.
Thanks again everyone. 😎