Silver Creek Fly rod 7' #4/5

robbo235

Has anyone come across one of these rods.Was given it and can tell its a quality rod.No makers name on it,just a USA flag and Silver Creek 7' #4/5.was told its a sage but checked with them and it isnt.Was advised to contact Orvis so sent the question and pics and got a confirmation email saying it is an Orvis.Cant see why it wasn't badged as such

ejw

Had one years ago, bought by mail order (pre "On Line")? Not expensive, but a nice light rod. Trouble was it snapped at the tip after a short time. Put me off buying any more.

PaulD

Silver Creek was a brand name for Ron Thompson, very much an 'entry level' range of rods some 20 years or more ago. Angling Active still sells a range of Ron Thompson gear.

Rhithrogena

Is this the one currently advertised on Ebay for £155 (with photos of a Greys rod for some reason)? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orvis-Si...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
Might help if you put up some photos, and include the email from Orvis whilst you are at it. We are a suspicious lot on here 😉.
While I have heard of an Orvis Spring Creek rod, I haven't heard of an Orvis Silver Creek.
I do remember these rods with the US flag, and they do come up on Ebay still.

jerryrum

I have the same one!

I got it second hand years ago, when I was just getting back in to fishing. Great kit for relearning the skills.

I don't use the rod very often (as I prefer a 3#), but I still use the reel all the time:
SC.PNG

I think I paid £30 for the rod reel and line. Absolute bargain.

campsiefisher

There were hundreds of them on ebay a few years ago, something tackle sold them, I had the impression they were japanese imports, along with another make "Sumo" rings a bell, they went for about 20 or 30 quid, the ebay ones were certainly not made by Orvis.

Edit : I rember now Tacklediscounts rods - Nielson, Silver Creek, Sumo Loop, Flextec
They had stupid RRP prices on ebay of around £260 and sold for £20

There is one here

Last edited:

robbo235

I have the same one!

I got it second hand years ago, when I was just getting back in to fishing. Great kit for relearning the skills.

I don't use the rod very often (as I prefer a 3#), but I still use the reel all the time:
View attachment 42175

I think I paid £30 for the rod reel and line. Absolute bargain.

Attachments

• 20210810_131917.jpg
    20210810_131917.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29

jerryrum

Mine doesn't say anything about where it was made. Could this be a case of a western product moving east to reduce costs?

Either way, having read this thread I dug the rod and reel out and took it to the river yesterday. Full report here, but suffice to say, it's still a great little rod.

Can any one who has used one describe what the 'action' is? I have never worked out if I like fast, soft, whippy etc actions in a rod. I've just got some rods I get on with and others I don't.

robbo235

Mine doesn't say anything about where it was made. Could this be a case of a western product moving east to reduce costs?

Either way, having read this thread I dug the rod and reel out and took it to the river yesterday. Full report here, but suffice to say, it's still a great little rod.

Can any one who has used one describe what the 'action' is? I have never worked out if I like fast, soft, whippy etc actions in a rod. I've just got some rods I get on with and others I don't.
Ive got a silver creek fly rod 7ft #4/5 sent a pic to Orvis and got confirmation email back it is one of theres.got a usa flag the words Silver Creek .strong little rod would say medium fast action

Latest posts