Silver Doctor Blue?

Cap'n Fishy

What colour is silver doctor blue? If you google it, you get quite a variety of colours claiming to be 'silver doctor blue'. Here are a few that all reckon they are silver doctor blue:

Silver_Doctor_Blue_code_UNI6E_347_487279a3-9eac-476f-be70-3f49b18225f5_1024x1024.JPG

eng_pl_Wapsi-Guinea-Body-10395_1.jpg

American-Grizzly-Dyed-Silver-Doctor-Blue.jpg

Hen-Silver-Doctor.jpg

grizzly%20dyed%20silver%20doctor%20blue.jpg

647d89_ea86268358621e90f65516e25ecf1599.jpg

s-l400.jpg

il_570xN.308652706.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Also found this on it...

silver doctor blue - Classic and Artistic Salmon Fly Tying - Classic Fly Tying

I'm guessing the last 4 images are on the right tracks, while the turquoise guinea fowl and grizzle capes are miles out?

Col

Lewis Chessman

Hi, Col, I happen to be sat with Mann's Encyc. so am having a look for you.
He gives "light blue floss" for a hairwing body, your pic 4 looks closest in hue.
'Silver Doctor' (Ireland) uses kingfisher blue hackle tips on the tail and blue swan in the wing, both similar to pic 4, also.
The 'Silver Doctor - Longtail' uses pale kingfisher blue with [natural] guinea fowl over on the collar. That one is hard to see enough to compare.

Good luck in the hunt,
J.

Cap'n Fishy

Hi, Col, I happen to be sat with Mann's Encyc. so am having a look for you.
He gives "light blue floss" for a hairwing body, your pic 4 looks closest in hue.
'Silver Doctor' (Ireland) uses kingfisher blue hackle tips on the tail and blue swan in the wing, both similar to pic 4, also.
The 'Silver Doctor - Longtail' uses pale kingfisher blue with [natural] guinea fowl over on the collar. That one is hard to see enough to compare.

Good luck in the hunt,
J.

Thanks for the input James. Kingfisher blue is about 75% turquoise:25% blue...

The cape in the 4th down photo has a lot of turquoise in it.

I was thinking it might be a tint of pure blue (low saturation pure blue on a white base) - more like powder blue or sky blue...

Bleu_ciel_%28couleur%29.png

However, even the least turquoise of the photos I put in the OP have some turquoise in them.

Pure blue is found in a jay's wings. If you dye a cape pure blue, it is a very different colour from just about everything we use in fly-tying...

This is 100% blue...

Col