Simms freestone Vest

paul100

Hi All

Just looking for some advise or opinions - my Columbia waistcoat has served me well but I'm thinking and only thinking at this stage of treating myself for xmas to a new Simms waistcoat / vest for my bank fishing.

Does anybody have this waistcoat /vest and can you please advise if good for the money - expensive I know but if it gives me 5 years then I'm happy to part with the wonga.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Mrtrout

Excellent product Paul, tried all sorts of vests slings chest packs etc but prefer my Simms waistcoat.
S.

Wee Jimmy

Hi All

Just looking for some advise or opinions - my Columbia waistcoat has served me well but I'm thinking and only thinking at this stage of treating myself for xmas to a new Simms waistcoat / vest for my bank fishing.

Does anybody have this waistcoat /vest and can you please advise if good for the money - expensive I know but if it gives me 5 years then I'm happy to part with the wonga.

Thanks in advance

Paul
I've had a freestone for the past four or five seasons.I bought it during a trip to the USA so it cost me a bit less than what we have to pay for one over here. Its a nice quality waistcoat,well laid out,comfortable etc but my Columbia was just as well made and considerably cheaper. I don't see the Simms as a step up to be honest.

paul100

Thanks both

As I said I'm toying with the idea and with pubs being closed and no football matches to pay into I seem to have a little more disposable income that I'm taking for myself before my kids spend it 👍. Jimmy I love my Columbia but had it a few years now and so could maybe do with a change.

Paul

Mrtrout

Thanks both

As I said I'm toying with the idea and with pubs being closed and no football matches to pay into I seem to have a little more disposable income that I'm taking for myself before my kids spend it 👍. Jimmy I love my Columbia but had it a few years now and so could maybe do with a change.

Paul
Col on here had a used once one for sale recently check out classifieds first.
S.

kingf000

I've had a freestone vest for the last 2 years. Great. Best I've had.

Clunk

I had one and move it on quickly.
The fit was OK till put the flask, food and rain jacket in the back and then could hardly zip it up at the front.
The material was too stiff for me, also I'm no fan of velcro and all the outside pockets used (I think) this method.
The clincher for me was the velcro on the pockets stuck out and rubbed against my skin when casting/ retrieving. Dead annoying.
I probably bought it in too much a hurry.

wobbly face

I bought one 2 years ago, cut a deal at John Norris as I also bought waders and boots. He did have a size small on special offer, but like you I'm a medium. I never have it zipped up and it's the most comfortable fly vest I've worn. (y) I don't put flask or such in the back pocket. I have no trouble with the velcro but sometimes get caught on the string tabs attached to the zips. It oooses quality. :)

Waltyluft

Excellent product Paul, tried all sorts of vests slings chest packs etc but prefer my Simms waistcoat.
S.
I have the old Guide vest. Not too dissimilar to the Freestone and like Steven, having tried (and bought) several other vests, packs, slings, etc., it's the one I keep coming back to.
Lucky enough to get mine for £58 posted from US and escaped "extras". Mind, that was several years ago.
It's the only option I've tried where everything just seems to be in the right place somehow! I wouldn't hesitate to get another when/if this one bites the dust.
I think they are slightly small size wise so you may be fine with the Large in classifieds..