Simms Leak Detection

badcaster

Used some IPA (Iso-propyl-alcohol) bought from a chemist dripped via a small pippette onto my simms classic guides turned inside out and the leaks were more or less visible to a blind man.

Fantastic leak detection, and only a few there so thats very much peace of mind!!

:)

SharkeyP

Is that "turned inside out and filled with water"? Sounds like a cheaper solution than 'leak Doctor'. My own G3s have a very slow leak and now would be a good time to fix them.

Can you give us any more detail of the practicalities of the method, please?

SharkeyP

fredaevans

General 'rule of the thumb' (over here anyway) with Gortex based waders is to put some of the IPA in a spray bottle and spray (light) it on the area where you suspect the leak. The last place the IPA evaporates away will be the location of the leak. Obviously you do this with your waders dry.

Honestly don't know if this works with other 'breathable' materials on the market.

diverdave

IPA works well on pin holes and scuffs, but not as well on the seams and not on the socks or where they join the wader, both very common leak points.

I really strongly recommend against filling waders with water. You will find most of the leaks, but the weight of water can damage the sock seams and put huge weight on the lower seams, way more than they are desiged to take. It also puts minimal pressure on the thighs and bum, again common leak points. If you fill them high enough to detect these you have a real risk of ripping the braces off, and i see this regularly. We can fix it, but a test method that causes more damage is really not ideal.

We use air and a dip tank. The advantage is it finds every leak, including socks and seams and gthe pressure is equal in all parts of the wader, so does no damage. We control the pressure on a regulator so no damage can be done.

IPA works best on Simms with the white inside, it works less well on the grey inside ones and does not work well on other brands with the dark grey inside.

Hope this helps

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

SharkeyP

I really strongly recommend against filling waders with water. You will find most of the leaks, but the weight of water can damage the sock seams and put huge weight on the lower seams, way more than they are desiged to take. It also puts minimal pressure on the thighs and bum, again common leak points. If you fill them high enough to detect these you have a real risk of ripping the braces off, and i see this regularly. We can fix it, but a test method that causes more damage is really not ideal.

Dave

Thanks diverdave,

that's precisely why I asked for more detail. So a quick spray on the suspect areas will show up as a dark patch on the white lining. I'll give it a go at the earliest opportunity.

SharkeyP

badcaster

Can you give us any more detail of the practicalities of the method, please?

SharkeyP

I basically turned the leaky leg inside out and simply lightly dripped the IPA on the suspected area and spread it out. The leaks immediately turn charcoal grey with a pinhole showing as a dark grey spot about 1/8" in diameter against the white material.:thumbs:

I do remember now reading that the IPA should be sprayed on, hopefully I've not done any damage, but it does evaporate quickly so hopefully not.

The patches are now gluing and will be tried out ASAP.:)

BC

fredaevans

Another "Double Thumbs up" for Diver Dan. Save for Simms who make their own brand of waders here in the US, there are NO comparable services here in the US. Or as far as Google's concerned. :eek:mg:

What a business opportunity for someone who knows what they're doing ... he obviously does.:thumbs:
Fred

D

Dunbar

You can buy IPA in aerosol, much handier for leak detection. In my Simms guide, even the smallest leak shows as a blue ink 'blob' - very visible. A light smear of aquasure and the job's a good 'un.

SharkeyP

Bought some pump spray IPA off eBay and detected a dozen small leaks I didn't know about and showed the extent of the big one I did know about. Ten minutes and most of a small tube of Aquasure later and I think the jobs a good 'un. Plenty of IPA to test it again after the Aquasure has cured tomorrow. Thanks guys, helped me squeeze another season at least out of my much loved G3s.:thumbs:

SharkeyP