Simms Tributary Waders leak already

webblade

Has anyone else on the forum got the Simms Tributary waders? I only got mine in March and with the coronavirus lockdown I have only worn them about 8 times. Already they have started to leak at the Seam about 6 inches above the stocking foot. I know they are the cheapest of Simms waders but I'd expect more than 8 outings from them. Has anyone else got this model of Simms waders?

Mrtrout

Has anyone else on the forum got the Simms Tributary waders? I only got mine in March and with the coronavirus lockdown I have only worn them about 8 times. Already they have started to leak at the Seam about 6 inches above the stocking foot. I know they are the cheapest of Simms waders but I'd expect more than 8 outings from them. Has anyone else got this model of Simms waders?
I looked at them in Norris’s last year but the manager David said not too, they won’t last he said?
you should be ok guarantee wise.
S.

webblade

I looked at them in Norris’s last year but the manager David said not too, they won’t last he said?
you should be ok guarantee wise.
S.
Yeah I had a cheap pair of Redington that lasted 4 seasons I'm kicking myself that I didn't get another pair. I've contacted the shop I got them from in to see what they say. Is there a Simms warranty address for Europe?
Karl.

Mrtrout

Up here we take them back to Norris’s and they deal with it for you.
three months in and leaking, I’d expect to be issued with a new pair no questions asked.
S.

Scotty Mitchell

Breathable waders have to be the biggest gamble we take buying tackle.
There seems to be absolutely no consistency across or within brands/price.
I go by the cheap/disposable way of thinking.
I know 2 guys whose £800 Simms didn't last as long as long as yours, and neither did the subsequent replacements. Others have had 10 years out of theirs and obviously swear by them.
Sorry,... Not looking to derail the thread into a "Cost ofWaders" type thread 😁

webblade

I know 2 guys whose £800 Simms didn't last as long as long as yours, and neither did the subsequent replacements. Others have had 10 years out of theirs and obviously swear by them.
If only we had the weather we could be done with them and just wet wade :)

speytime

Yeah I had a cheap pair of Redington that lasted 4 seasons I'm kicking myself that I didn't get another pair. I've contacted the shop I got them from in to see what they say. Is there a Simms warranty address for Europe?
Karl.
You need to work through the shop you bought them from, i contacted simms USA and was told I'd be liable for the repair so return it to the shop I purchased it, i did and it was resolved foc.

Al

I've started seam sealing them from new, i give them 4/6 weeks just incase there's a fault once I've established there fine they get the aquasure and toluene treatment.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
You need to work through the shop you bought them from, i contacted simms USA and was told I'd be liable for the repair so return it to the shop I purchased it, i did and it was resolved foc.

Al

I've started seam sealing them from new, i give them 4/6 weeks just incase there's a fault once I've established there fine they get the aquasure and toluene treatment.
Would the guarantee on Simms not be a tad longer than 4/6 weeks?
so you giving them the sealing treatment would invalidate same guarantee?
regards
Bert

speytime

Would the guarantee on Simms not be a tad longer than 4/6 weeks?
so you giving them the sealing treatment would invalidate same guarantee?
regards
Bert
Yes me sealing them does invalidate the warranty, my thinking is, if they've lasted 4/6 weeks the worst is going to be a minor leak so I feel OK about sealing them and losing any warranty, the pair I'm sitting in are on there 4th season, I felt a pin hole above the knee today oddly enough but after 3 seasons of regular wear it's no shame to them.
I've a spare pair I bought when they were on offer, with hindsight probably not the best idea but what price do you put on having a spare pair to hand?

Al

taffy1

Around 5/6 seasons ago I purchased a pair of Scierra Dry-Line Taslon waders, they resemble breathable waders but are nothing as such. They're a very robust nylon wader, all the usual trends of being warm & no wicking of moisture. These were purchased simply for a particular beat which has more than it's fair share of brambles etc. Unless I get myself wrapped up & rolled around on the ground in barbed wire, I reckon my grandson will be using them after my son passes them on from his inheritance.

webblade

Al

Yeah I've contacted adh fishing where I got them online. I only take a size small so I was limited to where I could buy them. I now wait for an email from them. Incidentally I am going to use my old Redingtons in the meantime which leak at the seam on one leg. Curious as to how you seal your seams?

tangled

Ok, just remember that you started it!

But I believe I started the concept of 'waders as consumables' - admittedly by accident. My first pair of waders needed to be lightweight for an overseas fishing trip - I knew zip about them but bought a pair of lightweight Greys from John Norris that cost about £60.

They lasted 3 seasons but probably were only worn about 20 days each season. But were heavily thrashed when worn - about 10 miles walking per day and 8 hours per day. When I say lasted, I got a tiny leak in a seam above the knee which I repaired very easily with aquasure so they're actually still fine but I bought another pair anyway (now £50) and use the old pair as a back-up.

I also fish sometimes in a small stream where access is by pushing your way through brambles and all kinds of stuff and sliding on your arse down steep banks. Just for there I bought a pair of booted PVC jobbies from Decathlon for £29. They're great, only barbed wire bothers them and they can be repaired with a puncture repair kit.

I've since spoken to quite a few guides that absolutely hammer their waders - well over 150 days per year. Some of them travel the world following the seasons and get well over 200 days in them. They all wear top-end stuff, usually SIMMS. But of course they all get their gear dirt cheap from them.
But they all say that they all leak. Pretty randomly. Some last a whole season, some leak after a few outings. One guide told me that he's tried every brand on the market but they're all sh1t. He's currently wearing Visions and likes them.

For us normals it seems to make no sense to spend £600 on such random products. Far better to spend £60 every year if you have to.

speytime

Yeah I've contacted adh fishing where I got them online. I only take a size small so I was limited to where I could buy them. I now wait for an email from them. Incidentally I am going to use my old Redingtons in the meantime which leak at the seam on one leg. Curious as to how you seal your seams?
To seal the seams inside a mixture of aquasure and toluene, mixed 70% toluene 30% aquasure for the 1st coat, 2/3 coat 50/50, i applied it with a 1.5" paint brush.

Al

webblade

Thanks lads. I've since had an email from adh fishing with a free return label to them. They say they will return them to Flyfish Europe the European distributor for Simms to be inspected. They will decide on whether they are to be repaired or replaced. So far so good. Waiting for the bootsocks to dry now before I package them for postage.
Karl.

clag

Ok, just remember that you started it!

But I believe I started the concept of 'waders as consumables' - admittedly by accident. My first pair of waders needed to be lightweight for an overseas fishing trip - I knew zip about them but bought a pair of lightweight Greys from John Norris that cost about £60.

For us normals it seems to make no sense to spend £600 on such random products. Far better to spend £60 every year if you have to.
Not sure I can add anything to the OP's original querry and his answer is what I should have expected so I hope it alll works out to your satisfaction.

On this post, I agree with your sentiment, and never a truer word was written on a fishing Forum than the sentiment expressed by the poster you replied to. However, the same issue can also be managed top down rather than your approach of bottom up.

In 2008 or so I purchased 3 pairs of Patagonia Wadermaster sockfoots in my size when they went out of line for £99 each. RRP was about £250 each. I wore each pair of them until they needed to be acquasured for a second time. At that point I gave the set away and started the next set.

In 2019 the last of the 3 Patagonias came to need its second aquasure. I repeated the end-of-line strategy and now have two pairs of zipped Vision IKONs and a pair of what were Visions' top end breathables the Scout. The economic savings are broadly the same. Am I confident if I store them correctly I can get a decade or more out of the three of them - actually more so because I do a lot less fishing that requires chesties than I used to.

If I'd been more fanatical about repairs, or indeed gone to a professional repairer such as Diver Dave I'm sure I would still be wearing the Patagonias. Your strategy works out at about £200-250 per decade mine £300-400. Although, I think yours are bootfoots? If so I have the cost of boots (I use Simms Guides now you can't get Orvis Henry's Fork) although you can do what I do with bootfoots as well which only adds £50-100 to my base cost.

The only other material difference is the cut/fit, waterproof zips and general ergonomics/functionality of what I buy are much better than entry level kit and justifies the extra expense to me - but if that is not important to you then no point spending the extra!

I note the top end Patagonia River Salt stocking foot zipped and matching boots now come in at £1150 RRP...based on my strategy I'd need to get 20 years + out of them to justify that cost - a Cowabunga momment if ever there was one.

Regards

CLaG

Last edited:

tangled

Although, I think yours are bootfoots? If so I have the cost of boots (I use Simms Guides now you can't get Orvis Henry's Fork) although you can do what I do with bootfoots as well which only adds £50-100 to my base cost.
My Greys are stocking foot so I have the cost of boots to add in too. (The PVC Decathlons are booted).

I actually got a deal on boots and waders. The waders worked out well but the boots were awful. Do not buy Greys boots. I left the sole of one in a Russian river and had to walk 3k back to camp at a limp hoping not to wear out the stocking. The soles have fake stitching on the uppers to look as though the uppers are stitched on to the sole - they're not, they're just glued. Luckily I got a full refund from John Norris and another deal on some SIMMS Headwaters which have worked out very well so far.

I reckon the end-of-life purchase of top end gear is by far the best strategy because you do generally get better quality gear. Buying cheap for its own sake generally doesn't work. With the cheap waders I reckon I got lucky because they actually are pretty good - though featureless. The discounts on end-of-line gear are stupid, half price is just normal and tells you what kind of mark-up is involved.

speytime

In 2008 or so I purchased 3 pairs of Patagonia Wadermaster sockfoots in my size when they went out of line for £99 each. RRP was about £250 each. I wore each pair of them until they needed to be acquasured for a second time. At that point I gave the set away and started the next set.

In 2019 the last of the 3 Patagonias came to need its second aquasure. I repeated the end-of-line strategy and now have two pairs of zipped Vision IKONs and a pair of what were Visions' top end breathables the Scout.
Hi there how do you go about getting end of line like Patagonias for £99, anything I see good quality and cheap are always xl-xxl.

When you say you had to aquasure them a second time do you mean seam sealing them?

Thanks Al

clag

Hi there how do you go about getting end of line like Patagonias for £99, anything I see good quality and cheap are always xl-xxl.

When you say you had to aquasure them a second time do you mean seam sealing them?

Thanks Al
1. The trick with buying end of line is you need to make an investment in your future. So if you wait until you need a pair of waders then you are a hostage to fortune of what is available at that time which could be absolutley nothing or just XXXL.

What I do is when I am ready (so far twice in a decade) to bulk buy I keep an eye on manufacturers (I am pretty brand agnostic with this strategy) I like through their own websites. When I know new kit is coming I then watch the big retailers. Sooner or later they will have the crossover between new stock being delivered and old stock to get rid of (unless they have a deal with the manufacturer to give back old stock). That may not be at a traditional sale time and they may not even shout about it. I am a MK size in Vision which is relatively common. So if I see it I act quickly because it is regular sizes that go first. Pricing tends to be at cost + an FTE allowance becasue most retaillers are happy to get that to clear. This doesn't just apply to waders but also Jackets and other clothing. I don't use this strategy for buying rods or reels.

2. I don't try and treat Breathable seams before I use them. Frankly stress seam or rubbing issues are more likely to occur if you don't buy the right leg size for you anyway (they've been an almost non-issue for me in 25 years of heavy duty breathable usage). What I am talking about is a standard pin hole or small tear that I usually fix with acquasure. If I get a second one and it's obvious I'll fix it. If it is one of those anoying ones you have to spend days trying to identify (even with all the leak finding solutions and dark room and torch strategies that work for everyone but me) I don't bother because life is too short and it's why I bulk buy. As Tangled and most of my fishing acquaintances say - treat them as disposables. If I have had 40 - 60 days out of them that is £2 or so per wear. If I am paying to fish chalk streams or good day ticket salmon fishing that is a tiny percentage of the day ticket cost.

What I then do is give them away to people who appreciate them and are prepared to put in the graft to find and fix the leak to get a good pair of waders (usually youngsters who could benefit with a bit of free good kit if they can fix it).

I hope that helps.

Regards

CLaG

delray

Snowbee 210D Wadermaster.
Going back to Taffy's experience with the Scierra Taslon waders, it appears Snowbee do something similar with their 210D Wadermaster. Their claim is toughness and they do appear to be as Taffy described the Scierra's to be. Anyone tried them? I think i'd rather be wet from my own sweat than by leakage and I plain refuse to spend 100's and 100's on them.
Regards, Del