Sink tips for pike

nwade77

I’m hoping to spend a bit of time pike fishing this year and I’ve spent a small fortune on tackle, flies etc and I’m trying to keep the costs down a bit now. I have a big daddy intermediate and a airflo sniper di3 and I was wondering if I could use a fast sinking sink tip on the sniper for when the fish are really deep. This could save me buying a di5 or 7. Would this work or would it really affect the casting abilities of the fly line? I will be targeting Eyebrook mainly. Thanks for any replies.

Rob Edmunds

Having fished Eyebrook for Pike, I'd say you should be concentrating your efforts around Sam's Dyke, The Willows and Stoke Dry.

What your suggesting with a " tip" will work to a very limited extent, if your anchored or the wind is very light and you are fishing slowly .....remember as you retrieve your fly will be pulled up from the depths and will fish much shallower ( too shallow in my opinion) Pike flies because of their size are almost always unweighted

On that note I suggest you stick with a 5 to 6 inch Black Snake or Bunny, Olive Snake or Bunny and a Clydesdale Gold Perch......these 3 patterns are the most consistent in my experience and I now don't bother with anything else

To fish Eyebrook well you really need a faster sinker as most of the water you're going to be fishing in will be 12 to 20ft deep depending on the weed growth

If you can cast at least 3/4 of a line and intend just fishing Eyebrook then a Di 5 will be ok.........if your not able to cast 3/4 of a line with a Pike fly or intend fishing other reservoirs for Pike such as Rutland etc.....then a Di 7 will be most useful.

You really need that fast sinker if you want to be successful......so if the price of lines is stopping you, I'd buy a very cheap fast sinker or extra fast sinker off Ebay ( mill ends are fine....these will be around 4.5 to 6 inch per second sink rate)

Just cut 6ft off the front of the line so you have a very blunt taper, that will turn over Pike flies.

Huge 8 to 10 inch flies were all the rage for Pike 10+ years ago....especially on waters like Chew, but as Predator fishing has become much more popular on reservoirs the fish have received a lot of angling pressure , so have become a lot more spooky.......drab dark colours ( black, olive, dark brown) are best and flies in the 4 to 6 inch size even for big 25lb plus Pike...

Anyway enjoy your adventure 👍

Last edited:

nwade77

Great ad
Having fished Eyebrook for Pike, I'd say you should be concentrating your efforts around Sam's Dyke, The Willows and Stoke Dry.

What your suggesting with a " tip" will work to a very limited extent, if your anchored or the wind is very light and you are fishing slowly .....remember as you retrieve your fly will be pulled up from the depths and will fish much shallower ( too shallow in my opinion) Pike flies because of their size are almost always unweighted

On that note I suggest you stick with a 5 to 6 inch Black Snake or Bunny, Olive Snake or Bunny and a Clydesdale Gold Perch......these 3 patterns are the most consistent in my experience and I now don't bother with anything else

To fish Eyebrook well you really need a faster sinker as most of the water you're going to be fishing in will be 12 to 20ft deep depending on the weed growth

If you can cast at least 3/4 of a line and intend just fishing Eyebrook then a Di 5 will be ok.........if your not able to cast 3/4 of a line with a Pike fly or intend fishing other reservoirs for Pike such as Rutland etc.....then a Di 7 will be most useful.

You really need that fast sinker if you want to be successful......so if the price of lines is stopping you, I'd buy a very cheap fast sinker or extra fast sinker off Ebay ( mill ends are fine....these will be around 4.5 to 6 inch per second sink rate)

Just cut 6ft off the front of the line so you have a very blunt taper, that will turn over Pike flies.

Huge 8 to 10 inch flies were all the rage for Pike 10+ years ago....especially on waters like Chew, but as Predator fishing has become much more popular on reservoirs the fish have received a lot of angling pressure , so have become a lot more spooky.......drab dark colours ( black, olive, dark brown) are best and flies in the 4 to 6 inch size even for big 25lb plus Pike...

Anyway enjoy your adventure 👍
great advice, thank you, roll on the 16th of June

Latest posts