sinking the tippet with pva?

kingf000

Has anyone tried coating the tippet with PVA to make it sink? Tippets don't sink because of the water surface tension, even though both nylon and fluorocarbon are more dense than water. A wetting agent should break the surface tension and detergent in the 'mud' does that, but it dissolves away too quickly. PVA is a wetting agent and so should break the surface tension. It is water soluble but hopefully would stay on longer than detergent, and possibly its polymeric nature may keep it on the line longer (??). It is non toxic to fish and used by carp anglers as PVA bags. I tried a little bit on some reflo powerline in the sink, just wiping the surface with ordinary PVA school glue. Without treatment it floated and initially it still floated after treatment. However, I pushed it under the surface and it sank like a stone. I then pulled it out and put it back - it immediately sank and kept sinking even after 5 goes. I think I'll take some with me next time I go fishing, wipe the tippet and false cast a couple of times to dry it, then see what happens.

arkle

The late Steve Partin used to sell small bottles of a photo wetting agent for same & the makers of "Gink" also did a product called "Xink" not tried Either Steve's one or Xink though so unable to comment any further,

Wee Jimmy

Interesting idea,I haven’t tried it but have definitely noticed certain days when the surface tension is more stubborn for not letting the leader drop through.Not only in the obvious situations either,such as scummy areas where geese have been preening for example.
I have a hunch that air pressure and humidity levels have an effect on the surface tension. You get days when you only have to degrease occasionally and others when it’s required virtually every cast.

kingf000

Interesting idea,I haven’t tried it but have definitely noticed certain days when the surface tension is more stubborn for not letting the leader drop through.Not only in the obvious situations either,such as scummy areas where geese have been preening for example.
I have a hunch that air pressure and humidity levels have an effect on the surface tension. You get days when you only have to degrease occasionally and others when it’s required virtually every cast.
The surface tension decreases with increasing temperature, humidity and pressure, though I'm not sure how much that affects things. However, in many cases it is probably more due to the surface 'scum', including oil and car exhaust residues, that get onto the water. The dirt that accumulates on your fly line shows that.

Wee Jimmy

The surface tension decreases with increasing temperature, humidity and pressure, though I'm not sure how much that affects things. However, in many cases it is probably more due to the surface 'scum', including oil and car exhaust residues, that get onto the water. The dirt that accumulates on your fly line shows that.
That’s what I’m saying,we would expect difficulties on scummy surfaces but most folk might not realise that atmospherics also play their part in it .

4wings

The late Steve Partin used to sell small bottles of a photo wetting agent for same & the makers of "Gink" also did a product called "Xink" not tried Either Steve's one or Xink though so unable to comment any further,
Photo wetting agent is very similar to washing up liquid detergent.

GEK79

The xink works I have used it after my father gave me a bottle of each xink and gink his words were one sinks the other floats..

Banksie

Trouble with washing up liquid are the dyes and fragrances, chemicals that could cause problems - at least photographically.
I may be wrong but Polysorbate(?), the stuff used in cosmetics might do it. It’s not expensive.

kingf000

Trouble with washing up liquid are the dyes and fragrances, chemicals that could cause problems - at least photographically.
I may be wrong but Polysorbate(?), the stuff used in cosmetics might do it. It’s not expensive.
Polysorbate80, I hadn't thought of that, is the same as Tween80 that we used to use in the lab as a washing up liquid without the fragrances and dyes. It is a liquid and I suspect it will dissolve too quickly and is probably the non-ionic component of washing up liquids. The possible advantage of PVA is that it dries to a solid, so may take longer to dissolve.

Cap'n Fishy

I've still got this plant leaf wetting agent stuff to try out. I must give it a try...

Col

easker1

Jeezo Right enough Col, why not just get a mono that you know sinks( not you Col), the washing up liquid does the Job for me, I always found the Dock leaves crushed and wiped on the mono worked for me before even any sinkants were marketed, these things just complicated something that I spend time trying to simplify, easker1

glueman

A fly fishing catalogue puts most beginners off. If you were to start today and look at one I think you would not bother. 5 pages of lines, another page or so of tippet material, 3 pages of the different bits you need hanging from your front and so it goes on all to extract money from you. What did our ancesters do without it all. They caught fish.

smallmouth

I use Xink, it definitely works well on tippet.

However I use Ledasink on the tippet and mostly reserve the Xink for anointing the back end of emergers like shuttlecocks and suspenders, to make them set right in the surface. Any surplus left on my fingers gets wiped on the tippet.

Wee Jimmy

Jeezo Right enough Col, why not just get a mono that you know sinks( not you Col), the washing up liquid does the Job for me, I always found the Dock leaves crushed and wiped on the mono worked for me before even any sinkants were marketed, these things just complicated something that I spend time trying to simplify, easker1
Just grease thefucker up with some ear wax or the oil off yer foreheed or whatever it was in the good old days...it won’t matter to the fish,they’re all thick as pigs hit anyway...:rolleyes: