sinking the tippet with pva?

Cap'n Fishy

Because of its structural similarity, toluene was rigorously safety tested and came out clean, hence its use as a benzene replacement. It must be one of the most safety tested compounds.

From a structural alert point of view, if benzene is carcinogenic, then methyl benzene rings a lot of the same bells. Just because the lab tests that have been done on it have not shown it to be a definite carcinogen, does not mean it is not a human carcinogen.

Col

Paul_B

I've worked with all of the above, tricho by the 40 gallon drum x5 a time as a de-greaser and MEK by the barrel too, plus all the standard types of thinners, and I would be very wary of using toluene on my fishing lines,
Just saying,
however its very good at striping a fly line back to the core so you can make a loop at the end rather than doing it properly and making a needle knot :whistle:

lee71

That was me who said that but it was not a bottle it was a 5 gallon can of the stuff. Actually it doesn't actually make you drunk it makes you very sleepy and if the exposure is long enough knock you out. It is dangerous stuff I had customers whoes operatives instead of spending their float would tip it in the petrol tank of their vans. Engines did not last long. If you smoke take care
Mix a bit of hexane with it and it will give good results if you inhale it. (Not) but will get yer high (y)

easker1

at my age, I am history, Napoleon was supposed to have died on St Helena, because of the Arsenic used in the dyes on the wall paper in his bedroom there. and isnt Toluene a constituent Of TNT?
easker1

Cap'n Fishy

isnt Toluene a constituent Of TNT?
easker1

With TNT, it's the three nitro groups that give it its most important property, not the toluene they are attached to. Also highly mutagenic and probably a carcinogen, though it probably doesn't get much chance to get out into the community and get mutating things. :whistle:

Not a million miles from picric acid...

Picric...

TNT

Hence the reason to handle picric acid carefully!

Col

ed_t

With TNT, it's the three nitro groups that give it its most important property, not the toluene they are attached to. Also highly mutagenic and probably a carcinogen, though it probably doesn't get much chance to get out into the community and get mutating things. :whistle:

Picric...

TNT

Col
Have you ever noticed how the nitrogen triple bond and TNT energy, like water and its sensible heat are multiples of 4.2? I'm starting to think Douglas Adams had it right with 42 even if it was the wrong answer.

Pie is irrational but 42/4.2 could be universal.

kingf000

From a structural alert point of view, if benzene is carcinogenic, then methyl benzene rings a lot of the same bells. Just because the lab tests that have been done on it have not shown it to be a definite carcinogen, does not mean it is not a human carcinogen.

Col
You need to apply a bit more understanding and knowledge than this simple concept. Although the mechanism of the carcinogenicity of benzene is not fully understood, it is almost certainly not benzene itself that is carcinogenic, but one of its many metabolites, or reactive metabolic intermediates. Benzene is a very stable molecule and hence it has a relatively complex metabolic pathway with lots of potentially toxic metabolites. In contrast, the methyl group on toluene provides a ready metabolic handle and the vast majority of the metabolism is via oxidation of the methyl group to benzoic acid, which is conjugated with glycine to form a readily water soluble product that is eliminated from the body in urine.

kingf000

Picric...

TNT

Col
In concept, no different from nitroglycerine. Glycerine is a food additive, but if you nitrate it you get an explosive, similarly nitrocellulose! So saying toluene is a constituent of TNT is wrong, it isn't. It is derived from toluene but there is no toluene in TNT.

kingf000

well does it sink , or not? easker1
I'm going fishing tomorrow morning and I'll let you know. Regarding Gink, I've been playing around with vaseline and solvents, and adding a small amount of toluene to vaseline gives something that looks and feels very similar to Gink. They don't use toluene as Gink doesn't smell of toluene or of IPA. So they probably use an alternative hydrocarbon solvent. I'll also be giving that a go as a fly floatant. We've loads of petroleum jelly so I've probably got enough to last me 10 lifetimes!

ed_t

I'm going fishing tomorrow morning and I'll let you know. Regarding Gink, I've been playing around with vaseline and solvents, and adding a small amount of toluene to vaseline gives something that looks and feels very similar to Gink. They don't use toluene as Gink doesn't smell of toluene or of IPA. So they probably use an alternative hydrocarbon solvent. I'll also be giving that a go as a fly floatant. We've loads of petroleum jelly so I've probably got enough to last me 10 lifetimes!
Did you watch the video above? The home brew fly floatant was 2:1:1 parafin wax, mineral oil, vaseline for a paste formula and 2:1:2 for a bottle/gink type consistency.

kingf000

Did you watch the video above? The home brew fly floatant was 2:1:1 parafin wax, mineral oil, vaseline for a paste formula and 2:1:2 for a bottle/gink type consistency.
Yes, but the use of parafin wax put me off. Doesn't seem to be necessary when you've got vaseline as it is pretty much the same thing, just higher melting. Just vaseline and mineral oil should be enough.