skagit / Sauk rivers ,Swinging for steel

bennysbuddy

Cold & wet on the river today, 0EB36998-279A-4C2A-B581-0D60BC36A7C4.jpeg0EB36998-279A-4C2A-B581-0D60BC36A7C4.jpeg560CA706-81C9-42D8-9CE0-03E2F2E7C17C.jpeg

stevel

Nice! Brings back memories of last March just before lockdown started, when I spent 3 days with a friend guided by Mark Shamburg of Confluence Rods, fishing on the Hoh and Sol-Duc for winter steelhead. It was really nice to spend time with Mark and get to know him a little better, I own 3 of his beautiful bench reels.
I must admit it was hard work, at times being snowed and sleeted on in sub-zero temperatures, but I enjoyed myself - I must be a masochist.
We both hooked up, mine broke me off on a rock after going off on a screaming run and a big jump at the end of it, my friend hooked his in almost the identical place the next day and got his in.
Quite a trek to get to Forks (from anywhere), 4 hour drive from Seatac but a pickup service saved the day. I'd love to get back there soon, and finally get one of those OP winter steelies to hand.

bennysbuddy

Nice! Brings back memories of last March just before lockdown started, when I spent 3 days with a friend guided by Mark Shamburg of Confluence Rods, fishing on the Hoh and Sol-Duc for winter steelhead. It was really nice to spend time with Mark and get to know him a little better, I own 3 of his beautiful bench reels.
I must admit it was hard work, at times being snowed and sleeted on in sub-zero temperatures, but I enjoyed myself - I must be a masochist.
We both hooked up, mine broke me off on a rock after going off on a screaming run and a big jump at the end of it, my friend hooked his in almost the identical place the next day and got his in.
Quite a trek to get to Forks (from anywhere), 4 hour drive from Seatac but a pickup service saved the day. I'd love to get back there soon, and finally get one of those OP winter steelies to hand.
They have really reduced the fishing time over on the OP this year& no fishing from boats anymore on many of the peninsula rivers. That puts a lot more anglers on the skagit system because drift boats allow you to cover much more water. Going to Forks is like traveling back in time, not much there.

stevel

They have really reduced the fishing time over on the OP this year& no fishing from boats anymore on many of the peninsula rivers. That puts a lot more anglers on the skagit system because drift boats allow you to cover much more water. Going to Forks is like traveling back in time, not much there.
We used the rubber boat to get to the runs, and got out and wade fished. I don't think we saw anyone fishing from the boats. Do you mean you can't use the boats either for that?
Definitely Forks is a small sleepy town, though it does have a lot of restaurants for such a small place. It would not be on the high list for a tourist visit, but I would return for the fishing.

bennysbuddy

We used the rubber boat to get to the runs, and got out and wade fished. I don't think we saw anyone fishing from the boats. Do you mean you can't use the boats either for that?
Definitely Forks is a small sleepy town, though it does have a lot of restaurants for such a small place. It would not be on the high list for a tourist visit, but I would return for the fishing.
You can use a boat for travel only, wade fishing is allowed. The gear guys often anchor their boat and fish out of the boat, that’s no longer legal.

Latest posts