Slim Shipman.

Wee Jimmy

50995996823_7c3f9aa127_b.jpg

No disrespect to Mr Shipman and not knocking it’s undoubted effectiveness but I’ve never thought his chunky original dressing looked much like a buzzer. I prefer them slim and sparse.

Wee Jimmy

I'd prefer yours in a flat calm, but the original with white floss breathers stands out well in a wave.
PS just noticed breathers on yours, I thought you'd left them out!
Yeah, because of the way I tie them ,it does mean I’m a bit restricted to using them for flat,sticky water or pin ripple conditions. I like to keep the breathers short and sparse too,not relying on them as a floatation aid.I scuff up the top of the fly with Velcro and apply the floatant on the dubbing fibres I’ve picked out...👍

Scotty Mitchell

Me too Scotty,I’ve learnt there is a time and place for big n bulky but most of the stuff I use for catching fish is thin and scrotty 95% of the time,been that way forever...👍
A good mate of mine said to me years ago......”Scotty, look at what they eat”......and it just stuck, sparse and drab tends to win the day most days 👍

Rob Edmunds

On pressured fish I go small, sparse and drab, especially in difficult conditions ( flat calm or clear)

But our Reservoir fish aren't as discerning as yours....anything with "foam" is usually a winner, closely followed by ultra bright colours..

Beautiful flies Jimmy, they'd not last long on Brenig or Clywedog..

Wee Jimmy

Cheers Rob....some of the menteith residents have seen a few fabs and boobies in their time for sure....🤣 Joking aside,with the amount of catch and release going on these days,Its quite common to catch fish up there which have already been caught at least four or five times.You can clearly see the old hook wounds in various places in their mouths.

Last edited:

Wee Jimmy

Yeah the buggers go thin and scrawny after they been jagged a few times....
Aye we do catch the occasional sorry looking specimen which is obviously on its last legs.The average quality at the Lake these days is very good to be honest.Quint and his team are doing a fantastic job.
45310236081_ff443df070_k.jpg

mackiia1

50995996823_7c3f9aa127_b.jpg

No disrespect to Mr Shipman and not knocking it’s undoubted effectiveness but I’ve never thought his chunky original dressing looked much like a buzzer. I prefer them slim and sparse.
Nice Jimmy - about 2 weeks to the Duckfly over here . I'm sure they would work on Corrib but lockdown means I can't go up :(

Wee Jimmy

Nice Jimmy - about 2 weeks to the Duckfly over here . I'm sure they would work on Corrib but lockdown means I can't go up :(
That’s a pity Ian, how long does the duck fly hatch usually last over there..?

mackiia1

That’s a pity Ian, how long does the duck fly hatch usually last over there..?
The main hatch is about a week to 10 days at its height and then tapers off . Some years are longer than others . Different parts of the Lough will have the hatch at different times so if you move around you might get 2 and a half weeks out of it.

Wee Jimmy

Bit too soon for an ease in restrictions then.....there’s always the mayfly and the caenis though...😉