Slovenia, where to stay & fish ?

Steven kermode

Hi, can anyone give me some suggestions on hotels etc, preferably next to, good rivers in slovenia.
I don't have a car licence, so need to stay as close to my digs as possible!
I suppose a friendly guest house or hotel would be able to arrange some transport to different areas taxis etc !?
Id be travelling alone.
I"m looking to catch browns, grayling ,marbles around the pound mark & above in picturesque surroundings!
I don't mind some stocked fish so long as they're lightly fished!
I prefere upstream dry fly & nymph methods.
Any suggestions ?

kevinb

I have not fished in Slovenia, but if you were to book a guide they would pick you up from the airport take you to your hotel and take you fishing each day, it might work out a bit more, but I'm sure it would save you time and you would see and visit more rivers for the kind of fishing you require. Cheers Kevin.

kevinb

Steven there is a guide called Andy buckley, he did a blog of his holiday in Slovenia it showed his hotel by a river in that, or try to contact him hes always on social media he has a fishing girlfriend called lena she posts on facbook aswell hope this helps Kevin

kerryjordan

Steven there is a guide called Andy buckley, he did a blog of his holiday in Slovenia it showed his hotel by a river in that, or try to contact him hes always on social media he has a fishing girlfriend called lena she posts on facbook aswell hope this helps Kevin
I second that; Andy is a great guy and an excellent and thoughtful guide. I fished with him guiding for a couple of days and learnt a lot. See “Eat, Sleep, Fish” issue 71. He has posted 2 clear and detailed Youtube videos on French nymphing.

Steven kermode

Very interesting & useful information thanks I"v watched Andy & girlfriend on youtube !
and yes very enthusiastic and nice people ! I will try to contact him.
A guide perhaps for a day! but really, all I need is lodging next to or near a river with fish and I"ll be happy !
A few years ago I was touring europe on my motorcycle.
I found myself in Slovenia , descending a mountain road ,
I checked a river by the side of the road and it was full of rising trout!
I followed the road a little way and I arrived at an old mining town called Ididja , found a hotel and fished for 5 days.
I could go back there. but I fancy trying some where else . it was very good but being so close to town it was a bit urban. great fishing though!
this time I"m thinking of flying & leaving the bike at home to save time and money!

thetrouttickler

I used Rok Lustrik about 10 years ago as a guide. If he's still going (I think he is, I get the occasional marketing email) he will drive you to the money.

Steven kermode

thanks scottratt, tourist farm zelinc looks good! and its on the idrijca river which I"ve fished lower down.

scottratt

I’ve stayed there before. You have the idrijca across the road and the cernica also. I know a good guide there also

scottratt

tell him i put you on to him.

kevin55

London NW; originally from South Derbyshire

This place looks good, guides 240-260 Euros a day for 2, flights to Trieste seem to be much cheaper than flights to Llubjana, taxi from Trieste approx 100 euros

I forgot to ad that there's a Marina Gibson video of her trip there

thetrouttickler

This place looks good, guides 240-260 Euros a day for 2, flights to Trieste seem to be much cheaper than flights to Llubjana, taxi from Trieste approx 100 euros

I caught a bus from Trieste to Ljubljana. If I recall, I had to change buses at the border.

It was significantly cheaper than taxi and pretty straightforward.

benisa

always think better to hire a car then you can do what you want and when

last time in Bosnia: Slovenia: Croatia you could do what you wanted and between 2 did not work out that much

Bongoch

always think better to hire a car then you can do what you want and when

Agree with that and gives a certain degree of flexibility. Nothing more irritating than been stuck fishing a coloured river after rain whilst the one 30 mins drive away in the next valley is clear!