Small rivers and stream

Fishywales

Hi all,

I have a been fishing since I was a child I would now like to expand my craft into fly fishing.

Where I live in in South Wales I have alot of small rivers and streams full of small trout,
also I am looking at getting the fishing passport wild streams permit.

As where currently on lock down I am looking to practice cast untill where aloud out then I can take my gear out on the water and have a go for real.

I Have lots of flies, differant size trout nets, bags, nail knot tier, Wynchwood river and stream fly real # 2/3 and a Airflow streamtec rod 7"6 3weight.

The problem I have is that the real is bare no backing line, no leader, line nothing what would you guys reccomend I buy to fully spool up the reel to be able to use on the waters I described above?

Should I also look in to a spare spool to have floating sinking options?

mrnotherone

For simplicity, I suggest you give Gary Evans a call - the shops are closed but they are still doing mail order. Ask them to put a spool of backing, a couple of spools of 3lb Maxima tippet and a few 5X 9ft leaders in the post. Depending on your budget you could also get a fly line from them, the Snowbee XS hi float is a good one. You won't need another reel spool or anything other than a floating line. You can fish a dry fly or nymphs with the one line.

I recognise you want to practice casting, but I'd be inclined to wait until Mike Barrio opens up again and get one of his 3wt Smallstream fly lines for £28, imo an excellent line.

You shouldn't need much backing on a reel that size, just enough to evenly cover the spool and attach you line to (nothing in the passport small streams is going to strip 100ft of line!)

When lockdown lifts, you are welcome to PM me and I'll recommend a few of the passport streams to get you started. Good luck.

geordie41

Melbourne Australia or Newcastle upon Tyne .
Welcome to the forum pal
The Barrio small stream line is a great suggestion , another line I highly recommend is a Scientific Angler VPT line , a bit more expensive but It’s a excellent line for both dries and nymph fishing . Any fly line backing will do and you won’t need a extra spool for a sinking line as a floating line will be all you will need . for leaders and tippet I’d suggest you go to loopy leaders for a couple of furled leaders which I think are great for small rivers and streams.
with a furled leader you will need some tippet material and some red Mucilin to keep your furled leader from sinking. For tippet I recommend Riverge Grand Max Fluorocarbon ( I’ve used it for years ) On the loopy leaders web site they also have tapered knotless leaders , I’d suggest getting a couple of those so you can try both to see what you prefer.
if you need any help choosing the lengths and sizes for your leaders etc feel free to send me a pm .
more than happy to help , cheers Kris.

Uncas

Also when you improve your casting skills perhaps in a years time, and want to try something different
Luke bannister has moved from Devon to Builth-Wells he makes rods of all types cane/carbon/glass etc.
you might like look at his web-site.

speytime

Hello, welcome to the forum.
The Barrio small stream mentioned above is purpose made for small streams, for a budget line the maxcatch gold is a bargain @ around £10.
I'm a fan of the furled leaders but I'd also have a 4/5lb 9ft taper, cut back with a loop tied or tippet ring for joining your tippet.
For backing this is as good as any
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leeda-Profil-Fly-Line-Backing-Line-100m-20LB-30LB-3-Colours-Trout-Salmon-Fishing/152417544805?hash=item237ccb2a65:m:mPW-tuPTXIPbpFgYnuBwLYg get 20lb...

For your tippet, the piece you connect your fly to, I'd get 3 or 4lb maxima you won't find a better nylon imo.
For furled leaders a forum member Mr trout makes super furled leaders for very little money, send him a private message he'll help you out.

Al

Fishywales

Hey guys thank you for all your helpful replies so here it is update time,

I decided to take the advice and wait a bit longer for barrios to open so I could purchase small stream fly line 3wt which I have now ordered.

I have old braid i will be using as backing line.

I have purchased 30yard spool of Seaguar grand max 3.5lb and rio powerflex 2.4lb tippet.

And I have gotten a couple of 3ft and 4ft furled leaders and red muc form loppy leaders all I would like to now get tapered knotless leader.

Fishywales

I am possibly looking a getting the wild stream passport and maybe joining Islwyn and District Anglers (just river permit). I live near the upper parts of the ebbw so I may give that a try I also know of a brook that is full of trout. I seem to be spoilt for choice but I don't want throw all my eggs into one basket and get more than one membership atm incase fly fishing is not for me but I have a good feeling it is going to be.
I have been researching for a few hours most days since lock down has started I'm itching to practice now just waiting on the mail man.

springwell

The Ebbw has some nice trout, fished it years ago.

The passport scheme is good, but day tickets can be pricey. The Wild streams permit seems ok though.

It might be worth joining a few smaller local clubs, that's what I do down my way.

Merthyr Angling (MTAA) aren't that far from you and they have some nice water on the Taf Fechan.