Small stream fishing around the country

adric

It is cold and wet today so I am thinking about fishing next summer.

I am a keen small stream fly fisher. We have a caravan and are planning to go away for a week at a time from April to October. Have any of you out there got any suggestions where we could go to find so cheap good small stream fishing? Anywhere in the UK would be considered. The only thing required is a good view from the caravan and the fishing not too far ideally within walking distance.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

iainmortimer

I seem to be saying this a lot this week ...but Wye and Usk Foundation passport waters. Beautiful country around there for parking up and a great selection of water to keep you amused for a long time!

Top of the Tees is another lovely place.

whalebone

Just beat me to it Iain, and also check out Stuart Minnikin’ website Yorkshire Dales fly fishing, a lot of info there.

Chris

tigermoth

It is cold and wet today so I am thinking about fishing next summer.

I am a keen small stream fly fisher. We have a caravan and are planning to go away for a week at a time from April to October. Have any of you out there got any suggestions where we could go to find so cheap good small stream fishing? Anywhere in the UK would be considered. The only thing required is a good view from the caravan and the fishing not too far ideally within walking distance.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Hmmm... been a member for over 7 years and this is your first post? I'm assuming as Herefordian you'll be more than familiar with those small streams right on your doorstep?

tigermoth

I know the WUF beats well and have a session ticket most years but was looking further a field.

Go and stay in the Dales around Hawes. Access to some excellent freestone waters up there. Check out Stu Minnikin's website as has already been suggested. It is a treasure trove of little fishing gems. Then also look a little further north at the Eden trust passport scheme, and also some of the excellent day ticket fishing available through the local clubs up there.
Best
Dave

corto maltese

Re: Small stream fishingr around the country

Lots of Google information on this thread to put in my noodle and save for the next trip to Blighty, thanks posters.
I can also recommend the She and Usk foundation for great fishing in idealic surroundings.
Best of luck and Happy camping 😀

adric

Thanks again I have fished the west country streams over the years. We will certainly try in Yorkshire which would be new territory.

Richard

beryl

There is a host of free fishing around west cornwall. Park yerself in Helston and yer a few steps away from the Cober. It’s on the up after four years of decline in its lower, slower reaches. Some hate me referring to it as it will be swamped. Apart from the occasional out of season Pole and summer holiday kids I’ve not seen a serious angler in the last three years. Suites me I have to say, but another won’t upset the Apple cart:D

camlad

The Tan house farm camp site Camping 4 Us at Longtown (near Abergavenny ) would be a fantastic base for pitching up and then you have miles of small stream/medium stream fishing via the Wye and Usk foundation at good prices.
One of the WUF beats is at the bottom of the field there ! The upper Monnow it is and then a bunch more beats upstream very nearby from there and more on then next couple of valleys over . A bit further over west still you have the Usk and the two few beats are medium sized and fabulous and there's a bunch of small stream tribs up there too . A bit north of Longtown you have the upper Wye tribs and a bit further eastwards-ish theres the Arrow and Lugg beats .
You can check out maps/beats on the WUF website and check out the feedback section for old and new fishing reports and the guys and girls at the office would be more then helpful if you call !

BTW , not too sure now I think that Tan house lets caravans on ? A quick phone call would confirm ,there lovely people there , and if not then am sure there would be sites around Abergavenny for caravans .

Biggest problem I have over there is deciding which river/beat to fish and some great fishing to be had !
Decisions , decisions....
If the weathers off the beer/food around there is great !
Please feel free to pm me if ever you want some more specific info.

whalebone

Hello Again Richard.

Just thought that I'd mention it's worth using the contact button on York' dales website, Stu Minnikin is a proper gent and helped me out when I was just starting out even sending me diagrams of how to fish his patterns. Also check out his patterns in the Fly shop section they really work well up here particularly his cased caddis which catches my more fish than just about any other pattern.

Chris.

mspaddler

Think about Teesdale. The Upper Tees is a small river with lots of wild brown trout. Day tickets from the Raby Estates at High Force Hotel or on line (see below). Also there are at least two caravan sites with their own free fishing. Check out Mickleton Mill and Leekworth Caravan Park.

Fishing Permits - High Force

Home | leekworth caravan and camping park | caravan park durham dales teesdale, camp site teesdale | caravan park durham dales | camping site durham dales

https://www.mickletonmill.co.uk/

Maybe see you there:)

whalebone

Another vote for Leekworth, camped there last summer actually foul hooked a salmon, you can check it out on one of Jon Barnes videos and like he says in the video avoid school holidays. Like mentioned previously it’s a good base for the upper Tees.

Chris

beneboy

Southern part of scotland has loads of completely free small stream fishing. Including water of leith that flows right through the middle of Edinburgh so theres plenty to keep the family happy

Latest posts