Small streams thread?

kype

Would it be too controversial to say that fishing with a bright fluorescent posted Klinkhamer on a short line is rather easy? I'm struggling to see where the "skill" is in this fishing style?
You can't see it? That is unfortunate as the essence of dry fly fishing is stealth and presentation. There are always easy fish regardless of the technique. The skill in dry fly only fishing is knowing where and when, regardless of the conditions, to find those spots where fish will take on top. My very best dry fly fishing often comes in high discolored water when most anglers who do not understand how to take advantage of the conditions resort to nymph or bucktail. Pink post Klink or Lt. Cahill dry fly both work in the hands of a skilled angler when the situation is tough. Every method is easy and every method is difficult. It is really of concern to the angler doing the fishing and no one else.

Bobby

ferral

I hadn't been fishing for a long time given the weather in the UK, but a work trip up to Llandridnod Wells yesterday meant I was certainly going to take the chance to try one of the WUF beats somewhere... especially as I wasn't paying for the petrol!!

Sadly despite my high hopes of a few days respite from the rain, it was torrential on Wednesday.. on the drive up I checked a couple of tributaries and they were chocolate torrents, completely unfishable. However, i'd been told the Clettwr cleared quickly (thanks Tigermoth and Sabsman!) so after the meeting I made a bee-line for the Gorge. Peering down into the valley I could see sunlight piercing the water and picking up pebbles in the tails of the pool. That was enough to convince me it was worth fishing. Apart from one small fish that I lost I blanked. Despite being better than the other streams, the water was still bolting through many of the pools, drowning dry flies after a couple of seconds and preventing even bead head nymphs from sinking - well beyond my mediocre capabilities!! Still it was a wonderful three hours and very different to my normal fishing experiance on the lowland limestone streams. Here are a few phone pics of the stream. Lets hope some of the other streams come back into play with a few days dry weather!!

my only take of the day came from this pool where the water was a bit slower:

I thought this pool looked the most promising, but i couldnt tempt anything to either dry or nymph:

A better workout than the gym negotiating some stretches!

thetrouttickler

I hadn't been fishing for a long time given the weather in the UK, but a work trip up to Llandridnod Wells yesterday meant I was certainly going to take the chance to try one of the WUF beats somewhere... especially as I wasn't paying for the petrol!!

Sadly despite my high hopes of a few days respite from the rain, it was torrential on Wednesday.. on the drive up I checked a couple of tributaries and they were chocolate torrents, completely unfishable. However, i'd been told the Clettwr cleared quickly (thanks Tigermoth and Sabsman!) so after the meeting I made a bee-line for the Gorge. Peering down into the valley I could see sunlight piercing the water and picking up pebbles in the tails of the pool. That was enough to convince me it was worth fishing. Apart from one small fish that I lost I blanked. Despite being better than the other streams, the water was still bolting through many of the pools, drowning dry flies after a couple of seconds and preventing even bead head nymphs from sinking - well beyond my mediocre capabilities!! Still it was a wonderful three hours and very different to my normal fishing experiance on the lowland limestone streams. Here are a few phone pics of the stream. Lets hope some of the other streams come back into play with a few days dry weather!!
Wow, I fished that stream last year and it looked completely different! It was about half the size. It was one of my favourite small stream experiences of all time.

sabsman

Real shame about the rain on Wednesday scuppering your plans...it was a miracle you found anywhere to fish after that lot!

Looking on the bright side...you've now managed to survive the Clettwr experience and can wear your badge with pride along with the rest of us! :D

Mick.

Addition:

This picture was taken a couple of years ago in the same spot as your last photo...big difference in flow and levels!:eek:

Last edited:

Mostyn

Would it be too controversial to say that fishing with a bright fluorescent posted Klinkhamer on a short line is rather easy? I'm struggling to see where the "skill" is in this fishing style?
There's NO SKILL whatsoever!

Tie it on chuck it out and pull back your fish, Easy (wishing) fishing.

Works for me! As does Spiders x 3, up stream. although, I only fish them on the Usk.

Mostyn

The heat has been unbearable here in Vermont for a few weeks and I have put the rod aside but it rained the night before last and the temperature was pleasant. I had a few hours to fish in the early evening prior to any hatching which now occurs at dark and through the night. I fished the lower end of one of my favorite brook trout streams which in the lower sections doesn’t have the cold water temperature needed by the brook trout but holds rainbows and brown trout. At this water level what would generally be considered a small river can now pass for a small stream. This river and the entire system it is a part of just isn’t dry fly water. No, not at all. It has its moments but long ago I discovered that the trout in this river are very fond of minnows even the rainbows. I have caught trout here that cough them up. I have read with a smile the dry fly versus nymph discussion and thought I would mess with you guys a bit here by including un-weighted bucktails! I love my dry fly fishing but there are times and places that are not suited to that approach. My mentor once grabbed me and said; “Bobby you will never be a complete fly fisherman unless you study and perfect other methods of fly fishing than dry fly.” The river we fish is an excellent dry fly stream and I was fishing the dry fly only avoiding developing my skills in nymph, wet and bucktail fly fishing. I am grateful to him for challenging me to develop my skills. We can choose how we wish to fish but we can’t skirt and avoid developing all aspects of our sport if we wish to be well rounded. I say this only to encourage new members of our sport to keep an open mind and develop their skills. Those anglers like Mostyn who have well rounded skills have the option to choose the rest of you; best be practicing the various methods!

Bobby

Bobby,

We could do with some of your warm sunshine here in the UK. Seems you found some nice Brown Trout in that Stream. They have a silvery look about them, very similar in colour to a Sea Trout. Your stream could be in the UK, it looks so much like some of our waterways.

ferral

Wow, I fished that stream last year and it looked completely different! It was about half the size. It was one of my favourite small stream experiences of all time.
I definately enjoyed it, for the scenery and wildlife even if I didn't catch fish.

This picture was taken a couple of years ago in the same spot as your last photo...big difference in flow and levels!:eek:

That looks far more fishable! I really really like the look of that!! I did wonder what its normally like, especially as I had to go spiderman style along the sides of the gorge a couple of times when even the margins were too deep to wade!

walney

The dry v nymph debate appeared on another thread recently with those who expressed a preference for fishing dry whenever possible being described as lazy anglers and podgers. My response was to quote two of Richard Walkers rules about successful fishing. Here are all five.
1. Locate your fish.
2. Don't scare them.
3. Fish at the right time.
4. With the right method
5. With the right bait. [ bait in the broadest sense.]

With dry fly the rising fish reveals its location; it's the right time to fish as it's feeding; dry is the right method as the fish is taking off the surface and as to bait match the munch.

Get everything right but get 2 wrong and scare the fish forget it. Get all five right dry fly fishing can appear easy. Rule 2 is about stealth, presentation [and all that entails]and being in hunter mode. There's your skill.

Mostyn

"""Get everything right but get 2 wrong and scare the fish forget it. Get all five right dry fly fishing can appear easy. Rule 2 is about stealth, presentation [and all that entails]and being in hunter mode. There's your skill.""

That's a big part of it for sure! Although there's a little more to it than the basic concept.

Hunter mode, seek with cat-like-tread, use your intuition, offer a possible meal (even when the fish are not feeding on the surface) they will rise to take your dry offering if presented correctly. Silence - Concentration and the knowledge of knowing what signs to look for, can all play a part in your acquired skill's of fly fishing.

kype

Bobby,

We could do with some of your warm sunshine here in the UK. Seems you found some nice Brown Trout in that Stream. They have a silvery look about them, very similar in colour to a Sea Trout. Your stream could be in the UK, it looks so much like some of our waterways.
OK, we will swap some rain for some sun. Great idea!
It does have the look about it of stream I see pictures here. The stream is all pea stone gravel with some ares of ledge gorge but the over all make up is gravel runs. I have seen and run into some large brown trout here from time to time and they are all silvery in color.

Bobby

thetrouttickler

Is stealth not required when using a nymph? Surely the same level of stealth is needed regardless of what fly is being used? We're talking small streams here.

walney

To suggest stealth is required in dry fly is in no way saying stealth is not required in nymph fishing but your question was regarding dry fly fishing. In my experience all good anglers are stealthy regardless of method.

thetrouttickler

To suggest stealth is required in dry fly is in no way saying stealth is not required in nymph fishing but your question was regarding dry fly fishing. In my experience all good anglers are stealthy regardless of method.
Hi

I completely agree with your last sentence. Which is my point really - being stealthy isn't a dry fly only skill, as it has been suggested above. I'm still struggling to see how fishing a dry fly is any more skilful than fishing a nymph. Fishing a dry fly is certainly more enjoyable and I suspect if given the choice of catching a fish on a dry fly or a nymph the vast majority of anglers would choose the former.

I don't get the apparent "snobbery" though (I use the word loosely) or why a nymph would be seen by some to be a "swear word" in a small stream context. Some of my easiest days' fishing have been fishing a dry fly on a small stream.

Hey ho, each to their own, my intention is not to suggest there is a right or a wrong way. There isn't.

walney

On days when everything goes right I am struck by the feeling this is easy and the visual nature of dry fly reinforces this feeling especially in clear water where you can see the trouts reactions. When I have had good days on the nymph I still wonder how I did it. It always leaves me with a sense of mystery.

kype

My small streams are difficult to nymph because of all the sticks, snags etc and I prefer to fish dry fly, un-weighted bucktails and wet flies as I can keep them from most snags making my fishing far more enjoyable. I save the CZN for the right locations where I don't have to deal with snag after snag. Lazy of me perhaps or just unwilling to leave the time it took me to tie up nymphs on the stream bed.

Bobby

Mostyn

Good Debate!

One who angle's with a Dry Fly, need not justify his actions. He is fly fishing in the correct manner.

And what about........................

I hear the cry..............................

I like fishing dry; give it a try.

BRUCE1

The Northern Shire of York....within the Kingdom o
Good Debate!

One who angle's with a Dry Fly, need not justify his actions. He is fly fishing in the correct manner.

And what about........................

I hear the cry..............................

I like fishing dry; give it a try.
thats bolox M :D:D:D .... as long as you have a "fly" on and a fly only that's fishing in the correct manner ,by the way your correct in that no one need justify anything :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

and for what its worth i prefer to fish dries ...........

Mostyn

thats bolox M :D:D:D .... as long as you have a "fly" on and a fly only that's fishing in the correct manner ,by the way your correct in that no one need justify anything :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

and for what its worth i prefer to fish dries ...........
Good Man >>and for what its worth i prefer to fish dries ...........

Bruce, where have you been? You've been quiet for awhile on here! I've missed your poking and prodding me; you know it keeps me on my toes.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
as long as you have a "fly" on and a fly only that's fishing in the correct manner
God, and there was me wanting to rip an ace of spades across the hallowed waters of a certain chalkstream!
all hell broke loose!
just as well i am a big bloke!
the ghillie, sorry river keeper, retired to the fishing hut laughing his head off at others reaction.
he is a good m8, and knew my thoughts!
regards
bert