Small streams thread?

ejw

After our resent rain, the River Alyn (north Wales) has come down, but has altered, some suggest that the fish have been washed away, not so, they are just looking for new homes.
July 8th (3).jpg
This one was caught in a "slower" area of the river, along with a few of his friends. It seems the larger fish are now coming out to play.
Eddie

richfish1

I fished my local stream again this evening, a very different experience to last time with not a single trout caught. All fish dimpling at the surface were small Chub, they refused the dry flies but were quite willing to accept Spider patterns fished immediately below the surface, in this case a Waterhen Bloa and Snipe and Purple.
Really enjoyed fishing the Spiders for a change and finished up with 7 or 8 Chub upto around the pound mark.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

corto maltese

Had a great day on the Edw today. After being washed off a few weeks back, today it looked like this

cb8b2b172f05ab88e96b054f5485d781.jpg

Slow start and some flies coming off but took a while to find flies that worked. Fished the duo mostly and more than half to the CDC and deer hair and a few less on a peeping caddis 2mm beaded nymph. 5 or 6 were real fighters with fish to around 10”. One better fish went deep and then the fight changed. Thought I had snagged but got a double hook up and landed both.

5102072b7485f6838f1a54160ca9289b.jpg

6343ddce2ecacb5d14db8d88ed9d1a45.jpg

bd6ee125bd943733fb67bc8cf28cb2a5.jpg

On the down side I also caught almost every tree but only lost one nymph. Gained one though from a branch I snagged where someone else broke off.

Nice walk back to the car too

e1844fab5036270c4365e67492a0c3ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was lucky enough to be introduced to this stream three weeks ago with Luke Bannister.
I have to say it really is something special, I hope that I can fish it again next year, I had a cracking day, fiesty little Welsh browns that punched well above thier weight and plenty of them, what more could you ask for :D.
I parked up for the night and slept beside the Edw, under the stars with the sound of the river as my lullaby, I kid you not, it was memorable.
I apologise to all who made my Welsh Oddysey such a memorable trip for my tardiness at posting my adventures, I will, I promise but unfortunately mundane life and bereavement have got in the way and I would rather post when I am in a frame of mind to do justice to the adventure and all the generous characters who made it so memorable.
You have been warned, as you know, i can make a tall tale much taller depending on what I'm drinking as I type but fear not, it will be complementary, of course and will be nothing but the truth so help me dog !

kype

Help! My computer crashed and I lost most all my contacts. : ( I need to contact madjoni! Does anyone have his E-mail or some way for me to get back in contact with him? I sent him a PM but it doesn't look as if he has been here much of late. Thank You very much! Bobby

colinc1978

Lovely looking stream colinc1978. Is that a salmon parr in the fourth picture ?

I believe there are salmon spawning beds in the Edw, but I am not sure. I checked where the mouth and eye lined up and I believe they are juvenile trout but not 100% sure. Is there another way to tell the two apart? Google images look identical to me other than the mouth and eye alignment.

Looking again maybe it was. Most of the trout I caught were very similar. That one lacks orange on the adipose and the eye may be behind the mouth. It also has fewer spots on the gill cover.

Well spotted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

sean freeman

I’ve really got into small stream fishing over the last couple of seasons and now seek it out as it’s often water that receives no pressure and can take you to beautiful places!

The fishing club I am in has a nice amount of water on both the Lathkill and Bradford which are spectacular small streams that can throw up some very large trout!

Last summer I fished a few small streams in Madeira that contained loads of wild rainbows and also a few less fertile streams that had hatchery fry put into them. One particular river was stunning, way out in the middle of nowhere and with the mist and clouds it felt like a rainforest!

272E9658-91C7-4418-AD8C-B0C04D6ED030.jpeg

And it’s inhabitants were even more beautiful!

539922CF-738B-4E7B-A88D-3FF472895AC9.jpeg

This season I am trying an interesting location here in the U.K. where I think there may be wild brook trout in running water. If I find them I will update the thread but I won’t be giving away anything when it comes to the location. It took me a long time to find it and the population would not react well to pressure.

Sean

sean freeman

Beautiful stream! It looks like streams I fish here in Vermont for brook trout.
I’d love to fish for brookies in there native range, my profile pic is of a Brookie from a location here in the U.K.

Post some pics when you get the chance I’d love to see some to get me through the deluge of rain here at the moment!

sean freeman

Check out my posts in the "Small Stream Thread" Page 198 and other postings!
Awesome, saw a post of yours from 2012 comparing four different streams, the second crystal clear one looks stunning. I’d love to get over to fish those streams. Chris Barclay told me there are plenty of Brookie streams in NC too, maybe next year.

smallmouth

It looks like streams I fish here in Vermont for brook trout.

Twenty years ago I enjoyed catching a few brookies in some lovely small streams, (West River and tributaries), around Londonderry, near Manchester in Vermont.

It was a family holiday rather than a fishing holiday, but I managed a few hours here and there and found some places using a book called "Fishing the Green Mountain State".

Given that it was July and locals said there was a heatwave, the trout fishing wasn't at its best, but Smallmouth Bass saved the situation and were the best pure "fun" I've enjoyed with a fly rod.

Last edited:

kype

There were a lot of excellent posts with fish and stream pictures in the SST. I always enjoyed the beautiful brown trout found across Europe and the UK. I am not sure how to post pictures and don't seem to be able to find my own pics! It seems like a lot has changed. I do see an attachment at the bottom of the post so I'll give it a try with a brook trout pic you may enjoy. The fish was release with no harm. It is a wild trout caught on a dry fly in one of the small dark streams pictured in SST. The rod is a 6 1/2 ft. Vision Cultfiber and the reel a Hardy Featherweight.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    363.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    382.8 KB · Views: 36

kype

Twenty years ago I enjoyed catching a few brookies in some lovely small streams, (West River and tributaries), around Londonderry, near Manchester in Vermont.

It was a family holiday rather than a fishing holiday, but I managed a few hours here and there and found some places using a book called "Fishing the Green Mountain State".

Given that it was July and locals said there was a heatwave, the trout fishing wasn't at its best, but Smallmouth Bass saved the situation and were the best pure "fun" I've enjoyed with a fly rod.
Smallmouth bass are a gas on a fly rod. We have some excellent stream and river SMB fishing in Vermont and New England in general. Glad you enjoyed your visit to Vermont.

sean freeman

There were a lot of excellent posts with fish and stream pictures in the SST. I always enjoyed the beautiful brown trout found across Europe and the UK. I am not sure how to post pictures and don't seem to be able to find my own pics! It seems like a lot has changed. I do see an attachment at the bottom of the post so I'll give it a try with a brook trout pic you may enjoy. The fish was release with no harm. It is a wild trout caught on a dry fly in one of the small dark streams pictured in SST. The rod is a 6 1/2 ft. Vision Cultfiber and the reel a Hardy Featherweight.
I only know of one place in the U.K. where the brookies achieve and surpass that size. It produced a 7lbs Brookie according to a report from the late 19th century. I know there are fish up to 3-4lbs there now. It’s just getting one in the small window of opportunity to fish it.

I love vision cults, wouldn’t mind the 5’9” fiber.

kype

I only know of one place in the U.K. where the brookies achieve and surpass that size. It produced a 7lbs Brookie according to a report from the late 19th century. I know there are fish up to 3-4lbs there now. It’s just getting one in the small window of opportunity to fish it.

I love vision cults, wouldn’t mind the 5’9” fiber.
That is exceptional size for brook trout! None of my streams will produce a fish much over 20 inches. I haven't gotten one 20" so far though some were close to that size. Ever see pictures of brook trout that appear as deep as a bass? Seems like the stop growing long and then just get deep. Labrador trout pictures are often like that.

kype

It was opening day here in Vermont on Saturday April 11th. I have been working and my first day our was today. It was pouring rain most of the day but let up at 6:00 pm. I fished for an hour before dark and had contact with 3 small brook trout that were not hooked and one that twisted off immediately. Then I found a nice rainbow that moved up the very small stream from a private lake below and had a wonderful battle in the stream which is 3 strides wide. It looks like a biird hit him on the back.
What did he take...... #10 Royal Coachman bucktail. After all these years it is still a great trout fly. This fly has been fished for 3 years now and chewed but still catching fish.

Attachments

• P4120200 (2).JPG
    P4120200 (2).JPG
    240.4 KB · Views: 33
  • P4120199 (2).JPG
    P4120199 (2).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 30

Latest posts