Small streams thread?

kype

Mainly standard loch wet flies and damsel nymphs, they’re in small lochs but they do go pretty big! What patterns would you recommend?
Bucktails were for the most part created to catch brook trout. Brook trout are aggressive, territorial and feed rather coarse at times. There seems to be no bucktail too large for a book trout to take. Joe Bates has written several books on bucktails and there are a host of fly patterns in them. My bucktails are tied on the Muxtad 9575 hook. I use them in sizes up to 1/0 but those really large flies are fished for rainbow and brown trout in the large rivers of New England. The flies I use in small streams generally are Mustad 9575 Royal Coachman, Black Ghost, Mickey Fin and 2 of my squirrel wing flies patterns. Old fly patterns I realize but very useful for brook trout in small streams. Even when hatches are in swing bucktails are useful. I'll try to add some pictures of the bucktails I tie and use for small stream brook trout. That hook I use is now out of production so you will have to tie them on this https://mustad-fishing.com/product/streamer-limerick?color=Bronze hook. There are some tying tricks to tying bucktails on a down ball eye I could help you with. I prefer the down loop eye of the 9575 but they stopped making them.
I have included a picture of a small wild brook trout with a #10 Black Ghost in his mouth. Visious little fish!

Attachments

Last edited:

sean freeman

Thanks Kype, nice looking flies! I’m going to buy the bits to tie them before I fish for the brookies again. Hopefully they’ll land me a big one, I know they’re there but they must be at a decent depth. I’d have been fishing for them tomorrow if we weren’t on lockdown!

kype

Thanks Kype, nice looking flies! I’m going to buy the bits to tie them before I fish for the brookies again. Hopefully they’ll land me a big one, I know they’re there but they must be at a decent depth. I’d have been fishing for them tomorrow if we weren’t on lockdown!
Sorry to read about your lock down. There seems to be more to this world wide lock down than meets the eye as well. Here we are hearing on hot mic reporters saying the thing is a hoax. Apparently California has a 0.16% death rate yet we are in lock down? All across the USA there are protests demanding an end to the shut down. ( It is crazy what is going on. It is a real disease but Bill Gates has for some time held patents on the covid-19 virus! Now he is saying he will have the cure! WTF?)
Anyway I digress, there is more to fishing bucktails than casting 45 deg. and letting it swing. It must be fished to appear as a bait fish and at times in a panic to escape. A med action rod is best as it allows you to impart action to the fly better than any fast action rod. I learned from two of the top anglers in my home state of Connecticut to fish bucktails as a young fellow. Years ago one has passed and the other is well in his 80's now. Most anglers never did know how to fish them even when these flies were the cats tail!
Check out Joe Bates books as they will help you in your brook trout fishing and perhaps with other trout as well.
Bobby

wjg

…" It is a real disease but Bill Gates has for some time held patents on the covid-19 virus! Now he is saying he will have the cure! WTF?)"... WTF exactly. Give your head a shake!

kype

…" It is a real disease but Bill Gates has for some time held patents on the covid-19 virus! Now he is saying he will have the cure! WTF?)"... WTF exactly. Give your head a shake!
You might take your own advice and wake up to the frightening new realities we are facing. You are non-essential, sheltering in place as people like Bill Gates plan to join with AI in a post human world. You are a non productive consumer of the planet's precious resources. You are infertile, failing at reproduction. You are unessential, obsolete a threat to the planet that needs to go the way of extinction. Now I believe in humanity and do not agree with this view. This view is held by many and I find it frightening. You can't feed yourself. You can't even go fishing! Why don't you see it?
So do you fish bucktails? Do you have any ideas or personal experiences to share with us on how you find success in fishing them?

Last edited:

PaulD

So do you fish bucktails? Do you have any ideas or personal experiences to share with us on how you find success in fishing them?
Does Bill Gates fish bucktails? Perhaps you should seek his perspective on them as, apparently, the World owes its existence to him.

kype

Does Bill Gates fish bucktails? Perhaps you should seek his perspective on them as, apparently, the World owes its existence to him.
PaulD, As an angling instructor do you have anything to share related to bucktail designs or experiences fishing them? As to Bill Gates he is partnered with PETA in an effort to produce artificial meat. I doubt he is interested in fly fishing.

kype

Absolutely nothing. My fishing these days very rarely requires the use of larger lures.
Really! That is interesting. In my area they are very important. I the large rivers they are very useful for larger fish. We use them for Atlantic salmon as well in Canada. Two of the best for salmon are the Herb Johnson Special and Magog Smelt. How about on the sea trout streams? Are they not used there?

PaulD

Really! That is interesting. In my area they are very important. I the large rivers they are very useful for larger fish. We use them for Atlantic salmon as well in Canada. Two of the best for salmon are the Herb Johnson Special and Magog Smelt. How about on the sea trout streams? Are they not used there?
Yes. in salmon fishing, 'hairwings' as we call them are regularly and popularly used and also, in some aspects of sea trout fishing. However, recent years have seen a much larger use of flies, initially tied on Waddington shanks, and then latterly on tubes - aluminium, copper and brass, or heavy 'bottle'tubes, or including cone heads.

On the trout streams, 'streamers' are occasionally used in 'heavy, coloured water, but often they're more in the Woolley Bugger or Zonker style. A couple of things to note are that our trout streams, relatively speaking, are quite small and shallow in comparison with much in the US and that our river trout season is mostly confined to the months March through to September.

kype

Yes. in salmon fishing, 'hairwings' as we call them are regularly and popularly used and also, in some aspects of sea trout fishing. However, recent years have seen a much larger use of flies, initially tied on Waddington shanks, and then latterly on tubes - aluminium, copper and brass, or heavy 'bottle'tubes, or including cone heads.

On the trout streams, 'streamers' are occasionally used in 'heavy, coloured water, but often they're more in the Woolley Bugger or Zonker style. A couple of things to note are that our trout streams, relatively speaking, are quite small and shallow in comparison with much in the US and that our river trout season is mostly confined to the months March through to September.
Oh yes the Wolley Bugger has become the go to fly for many here as well. Thing is flies such as those common patterns I pictured still have a place in fishing. Here I see few anglers that understand how to tie them well and even less he know how to fish them. Personally I think that is unfortunate.
Tubes are something I haven't needed to go to thogh I see that there are excellent tube tiers out there. I have tied a few for Atlantic salmon but we can't use heavy tubes and the tube fly is less useful here as the fish are surface oriented and dry flies, buck bugs and small wets and a few streamers catch the fish.
Back to the small streams; here even in very small streams small bucktails are very useful.

airsprite

Looks like a fantastic piece of river, can't wait to get out myself when restrictions here are lifted.
Like the Bamboo and hardy combination (y)

Steve