Snake flies

3lbgrayling

Sorry James ,but any way you like.There is no regular way to do it..I tend to use them in Deep water in hot weather.with a di7.

Jim

tierradelfuego

Not trying to be obtuse, but if one colour worked best, do you think there would be options of what colour to buy? Fishing isn’t always that easy I’m afraid.

ian1104

What works on one fishery might not work on another. On one of my local fisheries, they like a black or grey version deep on a figure of eight (medium pace). On a different fishery, they prefer a green version stripped back on an intermediate line. Try a few in different colours/speeds/depths.

Rob Edmunds

As a general rule I would use a 5cm weighted snake on a 10ft leader of 8 or 10lb fluro on any line from an intermediate to a di-8. (9ft would be ok)

A rolly poly retrieve is definitely best, but it can be any speed from slow to ultra fast......

I personally prefer a medium fast retrieve with the occasional fast spurt half way back....for this reason it's an intermediate line down ( rather than a floater)

Black fur with gold flashabou underwing or White Fur with Chartreuse flashabou underwing or just plain Olive fur are the only 3 colours you need in my experience......the rest of the colours will just fill your box...

I actually think fishing is simple.....I only use 30 patterns max in a limited number of colours and sizes and fish small stillwaters, English and Welsh reservoirs .. ...most flies are there to catch the angler not the fish.....fish are not designed to eat just one food source.....if a cruncher works so will a diawl bach.. etc...location, depth and speed of retrieve are much more important ( in that order)

On larger patterns say 7 to 10cm the front hook will catch you more fish ( and cause more tangles to the fly) as often fish hit the head end

If tying your own use a 20lb braid such as power pro....not braided backing that is too stiff and restricts movement.

Remember to dry snakes on kitchen roll first and keep them straight......the fur retains water and even the best hooks rust underneath the dressing ( same applies to minkies)

Last edited:

sewinbasher

can I use floating line with 9ft leader with them
A lot of snakes are very light and a floating line just won't fish them deep enough unless weight is introduced to the fly. I often put some lengths of lead wire inside the braid to help with this but like Jim I usually use a sinking line as part of the attractiveness of snakes is the movement that their lightness gives.

Rob Edmunds

Have a 9 to 10ft length of 7 to 10lb clear leader material.....flurocarbon is best but nylon monofilament will be ok

Just tie the snake on as normal and pinch a split shot on the leader literally as close to the eye of the snake as possible .....I would use a No1 or BB split shot ..

Cast it as far as possible ...count to 10 to give the water time to settle and roly poly back medium pace......when you get a take just keep roly polying for a couple of seconds until you really feel the fish kick.

Then lift the rod and play as normal

That's it

PaulD

A tippet is the last piece of material you add to your leader. If you simply use your 'leader', it won't last long after you've changed flies a few times.

James86

Because I makeing my own leader can I use tippet rings then I got 8lb leader so what tippet should I get thanks
Because

PaulD

Tippet rings are a good idea (I use them!) - If your leader finishes with 8lb, use a couple of feet of 8lb unless you start to use smaller flies when you might want to change it to 6lb diameter. Diameter is the important factor, not breaking strain. The material your fly is attached to should match the size of your fly.