Snap links for Pike flies

running bear

What do you use between trace and pike fly? I generally tie on filling mill pike fly hooks but cannot get a snap that I’m happy with (I’m using authanic wire then I want a snap link to fly). The bend in the Berkley cross loks won’t go round the eye, I tried Seible (excuse spelling) links but can’t even open them at my tying table let alone when on the water. Many other links are either too thick in the wire or lock too tightly in the eye giving the fish leverage. Obviously straight leger style links will pull out with anything other than a jack.

andygrey

I stopped using snap-links ages ago now just using knottable wire with a perfection-loop to tie the fly on. Whilst there are probably some good snap-links available, to my mind there big disadvantage is that they encourage you to use the trace when it goes past it's best. Casting a big fly can be pretty arduous on a trace and kinks do appear eventually, weakening it. If you don't use a snap-link then you end up replacing the trace more regularly. Wire isn't expensive and with the new multi-strand stuff the knots are strong and reliable.
My advice would be not to use a snap-link, keep it strong and simple!

Krang

Banned
Banned
I tie direct to a fluorocarbon trace. Never had issues.

Last edited:

t44

As above knotable wire, I use Rio Wirebite, 30lb, tie on with perfection loop or rapala knot.

gordond

I tie my multistrand titanium wire to a SG egg ring then use on of the paperclip type clips.
The egg ring is there because the wire is so thin it can work off the clip while casting.
The other end of the wire knotted to a length of flouro..
I understand that in a 9 wt fly line the core of the line is 30lb bs. So no need to go heavy on the leader.
I use 25lb line, 40 lb wire (more resistant than the 25 lb wire), the egg ring is rated at 20 kg and the clip at 35 lb.
With this

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

original cormorant

I use Duo Lok clips for attaching flies to wire. I make wire bite tippets with crimped loops at both ends, and loop to loop the clip to the wire.

Not sure if these are still available in the uk now that the friendly fisherman has closed, but they are on ebay from the US.

Dingbat

microsnap from Rudi Heger - more out of convenience than love, they come pre-attached to the leaders I buy from them. Funky Fly fishing had some good pike leaders of which I still have one, sadly no more.