snipe feather help

baltic

can anyone suggest an alternative to snipe feathers as Id like to tie some of my favourite flt snipe and purple but cant get ant snipe feathers?

gmm243

Hi,
I shot some snipe and woodcock yesterday.If you would like I can snip the wings off and dry them.If you PM me your address I will post them when dry.Will prob take a few weeks to dry properly.

Gavin.

gmm243

I didn't offer to skin it mainly because the feathers needed for a snipe and purple come from the wings,it is much easier for me to cut the wings off and dry them than going to the bother of skinning the birds.

jaybeegee

Hi,
I shot some snipe and woodcock yesterday.If you would like I can snip the wings off and dry them.If you PM me your address I will post them when dry.Will prob take a few weeks to dry properly.

Gavin.
What is the best way to dry them Gavin?
Brendan

Sash

Put them in the freezer in a plastic bag for a couple of weeks: that eliminates any pests. Then leave them in a paper bag with alum and/or borax: that preserves wings perfectly.
I did a bunch of Golden Plover wings a few years back and it all worked.

gmm243

Honestly I do it very simply,my parents have an Aga in the kitchen.I cut the wings off ,into a ziplock bag in the freezer for a few days( to kill any insects) and put them on top of the kitchen cupboards for a few weeks (on top of newspaper).They dry out nice and quickly and stay preserved for years.My mother is very understanding!!I Have about 15 squirrels tails there at present which I have dyed plus some partridge wings for dog training. There are probably other ways to dry out wings but this has worked for me for nearly 30 years.

ackroyd

We are fortunate to have an Aga as well. I hasten to add that it was already installed when we moved in. I simply dry wings and skins by leaving them in the lower (cooler) oven overnight. That seems sufficient to dry them completely and kill any bugs. I have never had any problems.

doobrysnatcher

i was just given a ring neck pheasant and threw it in the freezer a few days ago its a hummer
so when i take it outdo i cover it in salt to preserve it will table salt do ?

Paul_B

i was just given a ring neck pheasant and threw it in the freezer a few days ago its a hummer
so when i take it outdo i cover it in salt to preserve it will table salt do ?
As said table salt is fine, butchers salt is better, my butcher gives me a scoopful from his 28kg sack ever now and again, butchers salt contains nitrates, better for curing but not good when eaten, bacon, gammon etc has been linked to cancer.
I think its ok when accompanied with eggs black pudding and mushrooms :thumbs: