snowbee wding jacket....can i re proof it?

kreid

I have a snowbee wading jacket, had it about 10 years now, but it has started to be less waterproof. Is this it near to its end or can I re waterproof it back again? If so, what would the best stuff for that be?

icaughtafishonce

Depends what it's made from. But if it's some kind of goretex type material, then yes you can normally reproof them ok. Might be worth looking on the snowbee website.

I have a snowbee wading jacket, had it about 10 years now, but it has started to be less waterproof. Is this it near to its end or can I re waterproof it back again? If so, what would the best stuff for that be?
Look closely at the leak points, if there is any small "blisters" on surface of jacket, means the waterproof membrane used, goretex, simpatex or others, has de-laminated.
Cannot be reproofed, is replacement job.

regards
Bert

Paul_B

I use Fabsil on most of my fishing coats n bags, but try on a indiscreet area first. That said, on my Driza-Bone winter coat I use their wax or Barbour wax, something I'm considering for my fishing bag...maybe :rain:

darylb

If it's leaking through seams or laminate is separating then probably not worth it, otherwise best way is to wash it with Nikwax tech wash, then while it is still damp use either Nikwax TX direct wash in or TX spray on. Use it on my outdoor jackets, excellent reproofer.

mcxfisher

My old Snowbee Prestige jacket lasted for 15 years with regular re-proofing with the NikWax two step system. It expired when the seams finally failed and the water poured in, because once that happens it's beyond economic repair.

silver creek

As Darylb states, the key is whether the jacket is actually LEAKING water in or has "wet out". "Wet out" is caused by "breathable" jackets losing the ability to breath and there pass water vapor through the breathable Gortex membrane. Gortex and other "breathable waterproof" jackets pass water VAPOR from inside to outside. But they can only pass water vapor into air. If the jacket's outer surface is coated with water, the vapor cannot pass and "wet out" occurs.

The jacket is NOT leaking. What is happening is your sweat is CONDENSING inside the jacket and you feel the dampness. UNLESS there are specific points of actual leaked the you can feel, you probably have wet out. Seam leaks can be sealed by a seam sealing compound.

The DWR (Durable Water Repellency) has worn out and has to be renewed. Perhaps you have NEVER washed the jacket or if you have washed it, you used a normal detergent and not an approved detergent made specifically for breathable waterproof garments.

Read about what a DWR is and how to renew it in my post below:

The only treatment that should be done to breathable waders is to renew the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) coating.

What happens is the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) coating on the exterior fabric of waders gets dirty, impeding the chemical action that causes water to bead up.

Why does a breathable fabric need water repellency? Because when a gortex garment is coated with water, the water vapor that passes through the Gortex membrane is trapped from escaping to the outside air. So the garment cannot breath. The garment acts just like a solid sheet of plastic and your perspiration is trapped and condenses on the inside of the garment and on your clothing. This is a phenomenon called "wet out".

Read what Gortex says.

CARE INSTRUCTIONS: RESTORING WATER REPELLENCY | GORE-TEX Brand

"You can restore the garment’s water repellency by applying a topical water repellency restorative (DWR treatment) for outdoor fabrics, available at your local outdoor retailer. We do not recommend wash-in treatments, as they can hinder your garment's breathability."

Here is a primer on how to care for breathable garments by REI.

Rainwear: Durable Water Repellent (DWR) Care

I use Nikwax TX.Direct. It has performed well for me. The product you use to wash your waders is important. It should be a powder and not a liquid, and it should be unscented. That is to prevent any detergent residues that would interfere with the DWR application or seal the Gortex pores. I use Ivory Snow unscented powder. Alternatively, you can use a residue free product like Sport-Wash.

To use the Nikwax TX.Direct, wash your wader or rainwear and rinse well. Hang it up outside and allow the water to drip off. While still damp, spray the wader or garment with Nikwax TX.Direct and cover all areas. Then put in your dryer and dry on the "Permanent Press Low Heat Cycle." Put the suspenders of the waders into a sock to protect them while the DWR sets.

Follow the manufacturer's direction if you use another DWR.

The way a DWR works is to form molecular chains which project outward from the fabric surface. This causes the water to "bead" on the surface because of the surface tension of water. This is the same way that a lotus leaf repels water.

kreid

thanks for that complicated but worthy reply! I think there is a mix of 2 here. If its raining a lot, the arms get wet, esp at elbows, like as if it was a cheap jacket, whereas before, it was pretty waterproof, even in heavy rain....so Nixwax 2 stage tx direct, I will check it on ebay! Cheers, Keith.

YorkieT

I can highly recommend repel, made by Dave Gordon ( Diver Dave ) it waterproofs almost any material, used it for a few years now, best product on the market, it can be found on eBay.

Secret Angler

DWR spray will help, but if the waterproof liner (assuming it has one) is no good, then no amount of spray will keep the water out. Best replace in that case, not with a fishing jacket which always seem to be inferior to Berghaus, etc

kevind62

Trust Member
As stated above, it depends on why it leaks. If it's simply lost it's ability to repel water, this is what I use on my breathable, waterproof gear to replenish it. Seems to work fine for me. Just follow the instructions.
IMG_5634.JPG

streamerjunkie

Fabsil and other silicone-based reproofers (as I suspect Diver Dave's will be considering the amount of silicone he applies to his wader 'repairs') will almost entirely block a jacket's breathability. Just a word of warning. If you want your jacket to be impenetrable from the outside but a sweaty beast on the inside then go for it! Grangers Performance Proofer is the best in the market. Nikwax TX Direct is basically just watered down PVA glue.

original cormorant

I can highly recommend repel, made by Dave Gordon ( Diver Dave ) it waterproofs almost any material, used it for a few years now, best product on the market, it can be found on eBay.
I really doubt that dave makes it.

Nikwax products are excellent.

It really depends on what sort of jacket you have. Snowbee have sold some budget ones as well as more advanced ones. If yours is a cheap one retire it from serious use, otherwise re-proof it using one of the recommended products following the makers instructions.

Right now I need to put proofing stuff with jacket in the washing machine, after its been washed on a minimal washing cycle.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Fabsil and other silicone-based reproofers (as I suspect Diver Dave's will be considering the amount of silicone he applies to his wader 'repairs') will almost entirely block a jacket's breathability. Just a word of warning. If you want your jacket to be impenetrable from the outside but a sweaty beast on the inside then go for it! Grangers Performance Proofer is the best in the market. Nikwax TX Direct is basically just watered down PVA glue.
It could be worth the OP contacting Grangers and asking which of their products would be most suitable, I buy their Fabsil by the gallon and can't fault it but I'm tempted to try their gold version for my coats.
I've just mixed some bees wax with their Fabsil and reproofed my game bag, its dried out nicely although I've not tried it in the wet yet ☔ 🙏

speytime

I use nikwax to to keep my jacket breathable through water beading, I'm pretty sure if it was leaking nikwax or grangers wouldn't help it.
If my jackets wetting out its still water proof just not breathable.

Al

streamerjunkie

It could be worth the OP contacting Grangers and asking which of their products would be most suitable, I buy their Fabsil by the gallon and can't fault it but I'm tempted to try their gold version for my coats.
I've just mixed some bees wax with their Fabsil and reproofed my game bag, its dried out nicely although I've not tried it in the wet yet ☔ 🙏
The gold is brilliant - highly recommended. My favourite of theirs is the 2in1 cleaner/proofer as it does both in a single cycle in the wash. The only downside is it has to be set with some heat, so a run through a tumble-dryer after washing, or a good old fashion swizz over it with a hairdryer does the trick!

Paul_B

The gold is brilliant - highly recommended. My favourite of theirs is the 2in1 cleaner/proofer as it does both in a single cycle in the wash. The only downside is it has to be set with some heat, so a run through a tumble-dryer after washing, or a good old fashion swizz over it with a hairdryer does the trick!
I tried Fabsil on a few muddlers to see if it would make them float better but the fish came to them but wouldn't touch them, I put the non treated back on and caught again without an issue

Latest posts