So... anybody still fishing

eddleston123

The guy I was fishing with today does a lot of river fishing and he was telling me today that the 3 or 4 rivers that he fishes regularly are not fishing great at the moment and haven't done so since the big floods a few weeks ago.
Hi Mackiia,

I'd probably need to agree. Since the start of September, it is like someone has turned the switch off!

However, I have caught a few fish (I'd emphasise the word 'few' )

I hopefully, can still squeeze in a few more sessions before the end of this month.

Douglas

baca157

I was out on the upper Clyde on Saturday morning. 30mph downstream wind so very unpleasant session. Gave up after 2 hours but managed to produce three trout. Biggest one around 1lb mark, caught on a micro streamer fished on a nymphing set-up. First for me so dead chuffed.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Still fishing the local river North Calder and the Clyde both of which are 20-25 minute walk, the Calder isn't permitted so can be fished all year round for Trout and the Clyde can also be fished through the winter for species other than Trout or Salmon so will be going out through the dark cold rainy days of a Glasgow winter

markemark21

Going friday for 3days in N.yorkshire cant wait.
Then winter fishing on stills get the Martyn Williams lures out

JoeOh

No river fishing but trying to squeeze in a few days on the Corrib, Lough Inagh and Kylemore before rod lockdown
and all the fekkin' DIY I've promised my OH over the year. It's gonna be a long winter :oops:
Stuck here in UK. Thanks. I really feel great now! How I miss 'The West'. Maybe next season, if Ireland adamant about 'the rules' it seems like a three week trip, 14 days still in quarantine

cammy

Still fishing the local river North Calder and the Clyde both of which are 20-25 minute walk, the Calder isn't permitted so can be fished all year round for Trout and the Clyde can also be fished through the winter for species other than Trout or Salmon so will be going out through the dark cold rainy days of a Glasgow winter
Just because you can fish the calder all winter doesn't mean you should. Brown trout season ends October 6th.

cammy

Rods never really get hung up.
Club loch boating for rainbows until end of November, salmon on river until end of November, then a few outings on the local smallwater rainbow venues over the winter then grayling on river over winter too.

thetrouttickler

naturalised Rainbow last week 5 pound+ 27 inches- took me down to the backing twice. Why I don’t fish less than a #4 now- they run like steelhead and we need them out of the water (fish farm escapees a decade ago)
This is interesting.

Steelheads in the UK?

Which river is this? Every time a Wye Derbyshire, wild rainbows thread comes up, we scratch around for others with self sustaining rainbow trout in the UK.

My first thought was, how lucky you are.

Hope it went back in :LOL:

thetrouttickler

September has been a strange one. The water levels have been rather low and there has seemed to be a complete absence of surface fly life.

I fished the upper Test over a decade ago and remember a large hatch of olives in September. The trout then gorged on swathes of them.

In my three outings this year, on three chalkstreams, I have caught 29 trout and 18 grayling. Only 4 trout and 1 grayling have taken a dry fly. 10% on the dry fly seems unusually low. As I'm new to the chalkstreams I'm not sure which experience is more usual (or indeed whether neither is). It has seemed odd how few rises there have been.

Hardrar

This is interesting.

Steelheads in the UK?

Which river is this? Every time a Wye Derbyshire, wild rainbows thread comes up, we scratch around for others with self sustaining rainbow trout in the UK.

My first thought was, how lucky you are.

Hope it went back in :LOL:
No the owners and wtt want them out, there has been some talk of electric netting but EA has no money.
I have been broken by bigger ones, it’s the Rye system and it’s tributaries.
I dont fish the upper Derwent, but have seen fish similar to this and larger, really long lean muscular fish, you have to play them with a good drag system as they run very fast and if they get downstream you’ve no chance.
I did catch two about a pound 3 years back that looked like Wild fish, but I don’t feel there are enough small fish being caught to be breeding in the streams.
They generally show up early April or September, not mid season.

thetrouttickler

No the owners and wtt want them out, there has been some talk of electric netting but EA has no money.
I have been broken by bigger ones, it’s the Rye system and it’s tributaries.
I dont fish the upper Derwent, but have seen fish similar to this and larger, really long lean muscular fish, you have to play them with a good drag system as they run very fast and if they get downstream you’ve no chance.
I did catch two about a pound 3 years back that looked like Wild fish, but I don’t feel there are enough small fish being caught to be breeding in the streams.
They generally show up early April or September, not mid season.
The Rye in Yorkshire? That would mean they're in the North Sea, and come up the Ouse and then the Derwent into the Rye.

If they're not breeding in the streams, where are they breeding? A Rainbow's lifespan is typically less than 10 years (the escape you mention).

There was a thread here many years ago started by a woman who had a photo of a large rainbow she caught from the beach (but I think it was along the south coast). She removed the photo after receiving a bit of stick unfortunately. You'd think they might show up in offshore catches?

speytime

That's disgraceful, it's your business to know the 6th of October is the last day of the trout season regardless of a ticketed water or not, you're are fishing illegally, you should stop fishing for trout from the 6th October to the 15th March.

icaughtafishonce

Broadly no, as I can't get out till after 1900 and as the nights are drawing in, it's rather hard to get out for more than 30 minutes, so I'm moving towards the local canal and the pike and perch within.

Mies

Stuck here in UK. Thanks. I really feel great now! How I miss 'The West'. Maybe next season, if Ireland adamant about 'the rules' it seems like a three week trip, 14 days still in quarantine
"The West" will still be here next season and you can always "quarantine" yourself in a boat :whistle:

Hardrar

The Rye in Yorkshire? That would mean they're in the North Sea, and come up the Ouse and then the Derwent into the Rye.

If they're not breeding in the streams, where are they breeding? A Rainbow's lifespan is typically less than 10 years (the escape you mention).

There was a thread here many years ago started by a woman who had a photo of a large rainbow she caught from the beach (but I think it was along the south coast). She removed the photo after receiving a bit of stick unfortunately. You'd think they might show up in offshore catches?
they maybe only go into the Ouse or Humber, as it’s Saline and tidal right up past Cawood to York, you can catch Flounders when coarse fishing with Maggot just below York. it’s an awful long way. About 6/7 years ago a few of us started catching “Parr” in Reasonable numbers in April and there were a lot of stories of Salmon running the river. The fish did look like Salmon parr, but no one has ever caught a Salmon yet, but quite a few of these long lean silvery rainbows have been caught.
Four years ago I caught a trout of about 2 pounds that kept jumping and put up a fight way above its weight. I netted it and released without handling, but it was bright silver with a broad tail and just a few black spots and I’m sure it was a Sea trout. I’ve caught plenty like it in Scottish sea locks when lure fishing for Mackerel.
It’s one of those mysteries! About ten years ago all the Grayling and most Wild trout all disappeared from one syndicated stream, people blamed Cormorants and sawbills or a pollution event. But they all disappeared quickly and no dead fish were ever seen- I believe it was a violent flood we had that swept the beck up to two miles wide. It only affected one stream due to a localised cloud burst and breached dam.
From about five years ago Wild fish started to reappear 3-6 inches in length and every year they get bigger, now we’re back to Grayling and Wild trout up to 2 pounds, but we’ll never know what happened.

Overmiwadrers

they maybe only go into the Ouse or Humber, as it’s Saline and tidal right up past Cawood to York, you can catch Flounders when coarse fishing with Maggot just below York. it’s an awful long way. About 6/7 years ago a few of us started catching “Parr” in Reasonable numbers in April and there were a lot of stories of Salmon running the river. The fish did look like Salmon parr, but no one has ever caught a Salmon yet, but quite a few of these long lean silvery rainbows have been caught.
Four years ago I caught a trout of about 2 pounds that kept jumping and put up a fight way above its weight. I netted it and released without handling, but it was bright silver with a broad tail and just a few black spots and I’m sure it was a Sea trout. I’ve caught plenty like it in Scottish sea locks when lure fishing for Mackerel.
It’s one of those mysteries! About ten years ago all the Grayling and most Wild trout all disappeared from one syndicated stream, people blamed Cormorants and sawbills or a pollution event. But they all disappeared quickly and no dead fish were ever seen- I believe it was a violent flood we had that swept the beck up to two miles wide. It only affected one stream due to a localised cloud burst and breached dam.
From about five years ago Wild fish started to reappear 3-6 inches in length and every year they get bigger, now we’re back to Grayling and Wild trout up to 2 pounds, but we’ll never know what happened.

Without doubt there are Salmon back in the Rye . I have caught Salmon Parr and years ago an acquaintance who lives next to the river showed me videos taken of fish taking a small weir outside his house . He is a regular salmon angler and knows what they look like. Sea trout i am pretty sure are there to . I fish a couple of Rye tribs and have heard reports from some members of Salmon Parr being caught , I have no reason to doubt their word . Salmon are strange creatures they turn up all over that is how they repopulate streams. My local beck has no Salmon run but every few years someone catches one when after sea trout the last one had scales taken and had a positive ID . But I have never seen any evidence of Steelhead in any NY stream. There has been the odd rainbow escape from the various trout farms that litter the Rye catchment . As for salmon the Rye isnt that far really I think the fish just turn right up the Derwent instead of heading up the Ouse and into the Ure and Swale .

O M W

Last edited: