So... anybody still fishing

thetrouttickler

But I have never seen any evidence of Steelhead in any NY stream. There has been the odd rainbow escape from the various trout farms that litter the Rye catchment . the Rye isnt that far really I think the fish just turn right up the Derwent instead of heading up the Ouse and into the Ure and Swale .

O M W
Perhaps the "steelhead" are just regular escapees from the trout farms.

GEK79

That's disgraceful, it's your business to know the 6th of October is the last day of the trout season regardless of a ticketed water or not, you're are fishing illegally, you should stop fishing for trout from the 6th October to the 15th March.
Here in sunny donegal the brownies season stops the 30th September and starts the 1st March.. However some of the club waters seasons are different.. So I don't fish them..

GEK79

In Derbyshire river trout are April 1 until October 7 it varies all over the country
That's good to know I will admit the past 4 seasons here in Donegal March the 1sg up at the Lough has been brutal. Lol but I still go. 👍👍

Paul_B

I'm going to have an hour or two in the morning (y)
Nothing first thing, then a nice one at about 3lb on dry, I put a couple back and wished I hadn't as it was almost time to go.
One last cast to straighten the line before winding it back on the reel, so I put a lure on and wound it back sharpish and bump, a blue at around 4lb. well it was after about 5 mins. :)

corto maltese

All done here in France, although due to Corona virus, they have very generously given us a fifteen day extension to the season. I have two problems with that which is why I have hung up my rods and lines and won't be taking the " p*ss " and participating, unlike the majority of catch n kill Frenchmen.
1/ the fish need time off to reproduce, seriously, leave them alone a bit to reproduce, already here In France they still haven't got thier heads around catch and release, it's blummin crazy the amount of fish they kill/ are allowed to kill.
2/the hunting season has started now, normally the fishing season ends and the hunting season starts, there is a reason, loads of pissed Frenchmen with guns at 9:30 in the morning shooting at anything that moves, a rustle in a bush, a shadow, a mushroom picker, a fisherman, his dog/ mate/ son/ grandson, I'm not exaggerating at all, believe me. I've been in the local bar at 6 am to have a coffee before work and seen our brave hunters downing red after red before staggering out on mass for the hunt !
I'll not be taking advantage of the extra 15 days, no thank you.
I've cleaned and squared away all the fly fishing kit till next year.
I've bought my lures, dusted off my reels and rods and am looking forward to storms, high seas, big swells, off shore winds and cold winter mornings with beautiful sunrises, I'm off bass fishing as usual this winter 😁

Last edited:

Hardrar

that’s what I feel they are, just naturalised escapees, they tend to have a different shape to Lake rainbows, long and lean, but not out of condition, with smaller heads. They certainly put up a tussle when you hook one!

wobbly face

Besides the res fishing all year round, I'll be targeting grayling (covid permitting). Trout end's 30th Sept where I fish so will try to get out before the end. Managed a few hours on local river today (open sewer more like) and managed a couple of browns, first time I've fished it and I've lived here for over 50 years and fished for same, just not this river.

smallmouth

I remember a 16 pounder being claimed from the Wharfe, it was mentioned in the T&S magazine river reports, 2 or 3 decades ago. Would've liked to have seen a photo, not that I’ve ever seen a steelhead in the flesh.

I used to fish for little brownies in a short, steeply inclined and tiny stream on holiday, running down one of those typical high sided north Cornish valleys into a small harbour. The average brownie might've been 4oz, and fish of similar size could be seen flirting with the increasing salinity between the harbour and the stream. Were they “sea” trout? An article in this month’s FF&FT made me puzzle over what they might’ve been classed as again, after nearly thirty years.....

One day completely out of the blue, all hell broke loose when I hooked a rainbow of around 2lbs in a little pool on this stream. It was presumably new in the stream, as I doubt it could’ve maintained such excellent condition there for long.

I couldn’t imagine how it had got there, until someone local told me that a trout farm/small stillwater across the bay had been vandalised earlier in the year and they’d lost stock. But if that fish was really one of them, it must’ve crossed a couple of miles of saltwater.......

Paul_B

We've now got quite a few roach and perch in our res after floods washed them down a few years ago, annoying, well maybe, but the fry feed the trout and the roach seem easier for the cormorants to swallow.
This is leading to less damaged trout and we're seeing less trout going down their necks. Plus a roach or perch caught is better than a blank.

Every cloud

Latest posts