so Coronavirus is closing fishing clubs

z0n3y

since Monday nights announcement by the government it seems that more and more fishing clubs are shutting their river beats down Due to advise from the Angling Trust . While non essential travel was frowned at it wasn't totally banned ( this came directly from the local police force although they would prefer it if you stayed at home was the line they used and all other guidelines were in use ie no groups social distancing etc) . The last thing i read on the angling trusts web site was they had written to sport guidance from Sport England and other Government bodies as to whether fishing is an allowed form of exercise so they recommend that fishing is suspended until they get the answer . Firstly fly fishing for trout on a river is completely different to fish farms/ match fishing and course fishing when the season starts again the yes i can see why they should closed . But at this time of year you can walk miles and not see another person on the rivers . Yes i no some rivers and fishing clubs are busier than others and get a lot more day tickets taken out by visitors although with shops been closed that cuts that one out . It also brings the point of traveling a distance and needing help if you breakdown ive seen cars breakdown with in a few 100yrds of the home address and had to call out the AA RAC etc so wheres the difference in someone driving say 20miles to fish the breakdown services will have a working procedure that will keep them from contact ie you will stay in your car or at a point where you are not with in the 2meter of them . If your car has to be recovered then its not totally illegal for you to stay with in your own vehicle while of a flat bed or spec lift vehicle .

So it looks like this season could have lasted a total of 8 days and we may not get back on the rivers again until next season if were very unlucky.

So whos club has closed down
the ones ive heard about so far

Wye and Usk passport
Yorkshire fly
Penrith Angling

PaulD

1. Is travelling to a fishing location an 'essential Journey'? - NO
2. Are you leaving home for essential shopping, medical needs or exercise once a day? - NO
3. Are you travelling to and from work in a Key Worker role if absolutely necessary? - NO
STAY HOME

The 'rules' that have been put in place are not there for personal interpretation or choice, they are there for a specific purpose and form part of a collective responsibility that we are all to adhere to.

One other point. Fishing is not a form of 'exercise', you may like to think it is but it isn't. If it was it would probably be an Olympic event but as we know, this year's Olympics have been postponed.

Last edited:

bobmiddlepoint

This has been done to death on other threads but...

If it is OK for you to go out and do what you want it is OK for everyone else to go out and do what they want (golf, metal detecting, hill walking, canoeing, bird watching etc etc). If everyone goes out and does what they want it will be impossible to police and the whole lock down will break down in a matter of days.

We are all in this together.

I do not know of any club that is still open for fishing in my area.

Andy

the fishdoctor

I think we all know that a single person fly fishing on a river isn't a risk.

There's no way the Government can be that specific and if they were just to say "fishing is ok" the combination with all the people off work would result in some places being rammed

noel

Please abide by the stay at home rules , I sent my nephew an armed response officer and his wife a frontline nurse my love and gratitude last night they have just become parents 3 months ago .

glueman

If it is OK for you to go out and do what you want it is OK for everyone else to go out and do what they want (golf, metal detecting, hill walking, canoeing, bird watching etc etc). If everyone goes out and does what they want it will be impossible to police and the whole lock down will break down in a matter of days.

Andy
Golf is shut down

tingvollr

Andy
Well said Andy!
If some of us are seen out fishing enjoying ourselves when we should be helping the cause it will paint an even darker picture on our sport.
Stay safe and take care

Mike

bobmiddlepoint

A question for tingvollr.
How do the Shetland crofters feel about folk thinking about still fishing. Here in Sutherland on some rivers a few of the ghillies fished on after the guests went home on Tuesday morning. It is fair to say this went down pretty badly with the crofters who's land they had to cross and it was soon stopped!

Andy

the fishdoctor

Well said Andy!
If some of us are seen out fishing enjoying ourselves when we should be helping the cause it will paint an even darker picture on our sport.
Stay safe and take care

Mike
Agreed - what would our reaction be if we saw a couple of canoeists out on the river "two metres apart". Would we think that was ok? (I mean right now, not just generally)

tyro10

since Monday nights announcement by the government it seems that more and more fishing clubs are shutting their river beats down Due to advise from the Angling Trust . While non essential travel was frowned at it wasn't totally banned ( this came directly from the local police force although they would prefer it if you stayed at home was the line they used and all other guidelines were in use ie no groups social distancing etc) . The last thing i read on the angling trusts web site was they had written to sport guidance from Sport England and other Government bodies as to whether fishing is an allowed form of exercise so they recommend that fishing is suspended until they get the answer . Firstly fly fishing for trout on a river is completely different to fish farms/ match fishing and course fishing when the season starts again the yes i can see why they should closed . But at this time of year you can walk miles and not see another person on the rivers . Yes i no some rivers and fishing clubs are busier than others and get a lot more day tickets taken out by visitors although with shops been closed that cuts that one out . It also brings the point of traveling a distance and needing help if you breakdown ive seen cars breakdown with in a few 100yrds of the home address and had to call out the AA RAC etc so wheres the difference in someone driving say 20miles to fish the breakdown services will have a working procedure that will keep them from contact ie you will stay in your car or at a point where you are not with in the 2meter of them . If your car has to be recovered then its not totally illegal for you to stay with in your own vehicle while of a flat bed or spec lift vehicle .

So it looks like this season could have lasted a total of 8 days and we may not get back on the rivers again until next season if were very unlucky.

So whos club has closed down
the ones ive heard about so far

Wye and Usk passport
Yorkshire fly
Penrith Angling
Thanks for your post . We will all have opinions on what clubs and or individuals ,should or should not be doing and doubtless this will be the subject of endless debate. So it is good to know that the Angling Trust is seeking some guidance . Do keep us posted .

mrnotherone

Thanks for your post . We will all have opinions on what clubs and or individuals ,should or should not be doing and doubtless this will be the subject of endless debate. So it is good to know that the Angling Trust is seeking some guidance . Do keep us posted .
I don't think there will be endless debate outside the small minority who don't want to accept the blindingly obvious. I'm not aware that the AT are seeking guidance now as it's been given and is crystal clear.

tingvollr

A question for tingvollr.
How do the Shetland crofters feel about folk thinking about still fishing. Here in Sutherland on some rivers a few of the ghillies fished on after the guests went home on Tuesday morning. It is fair to say this went down pretty badly with the crofters who's land they had to cross and it was soon stopped!

Andy
Mixed feeling here Andy at the moment. Some are quite layed back while other crofters are angry. As this situation intensifies the feeling will be for more to be against fishing during this crisis. Unfortunately Police Scotland Lerwick said last week that they didn't see a problem with angling provided people obeyed the social distancing! Hopefully they will tighten their views following this morning's BBC national news which emphasised the "unnecessary travel" part of the rules but at the moment some selfish anglers continue to flaunt the spirit of the rules.

Mike