Socially-distanced boat fishing?

Paul_B

Its looking like some are going to have to learn to cast when there's vegetation behind them, unless the butler has a strimmer and snips :whistle:

easker1

Love the Gualin estate Hill lochs, got the chance a few years back, Never met Sofie, easker1

scobo

Did you have a cast Scott..?
Unfortunately not Jimmy.
When I got down, there was a nasty east wind whipping over the hill from Burntisland. Felt about 10°C cooler than when I left the house 10 minutes up the road. It never fishes that great in a wind like that, but then where does.
The guy that runs it said it had been like that all day and wasn't forecast to ease up much until after 11pm, so I decided against setting a rod up.
Didn't see any of the few rods that were out bending while I was there either although John did say there were a fair few troot caught through the day.

Cap'n Fishy

So, it seems that some waters are saying they can't practice social distancing if we fish 2 in a boat, while other waters are saying they can practice social distancing while fishing 2 in a boat.

Looks like we need a ruling on this from someone in a position of authority?

Col

Paul_B

So, it seems that some waters are saying they can't practice social distancing if we fish 2 in a boat, while other waters are saying they can practice social distancing while fishing 2 in a boat.

Col
It seams that if social distancing isn't possible then wearing a mask is a good precaution, we wear eye protection anyway.

ohanzee

Col
I watched some of the select committee for all things covid on the parliament channel for a bit, its tedious stuff, about 2 hours just on social distancing, they called on a virologist expert who said that the distance is based on many variables but put it loosely that 2m for 5 mins would have a similar risk factor of 3m for 10 mins and so on, exposure time and distance being interlinked.
They also cited tests of aerosol infection where being side by side reduces risk, and back to back reduces risk further.
This is the nature of risk unfortunately, there is no 100% safe environment and the responsibility for our safety ultimately lies with us.

I watched some of the select committee for all things covid on the parliament channel for a bit, its tedious stuff, about 2 hours just on social distancing, they called on a virologist expert who said that the distance is based on many variables but put it loosely that 2m for 5 mins would have a similar risk factor of 3m for 10 mins and so on, exposure time and distance being interlinked.
They also cited tests of aerosol infection where being side by side reduces risk, and back to back reduces risk further.
This is the nature of risk unfortunately, there is no 100% safe environment and the responsibility for our safety ultimately lies with us.
Its funny how some are wanting it reduced to 1.5 or less which I believe is all down to money overriding health.The bottom line is its down to each person to be responsible for their own health,if they feel its ok to have 2 in a boat ,fine,you can keep a good space between each in a 15 ft boat and just be careful.Do we really need more rules when common sense is all that is required.
This virus is going to be here for a while and looking around people are just going about as normal,so better to avoid the crowds is the best way to stay safe.There is plenty of decent fishing where you can do that unless you like the football match scenarios.

ohanzee

Its funny how some are wanting it reduced to 1.5 or less which I believe is all down to money overriding health.The bottom line is its down to each person to be responsible for their own health,if they feel its ok to have 2 in a boat ,fine,you can keep a good space between each in a 15 ft boat and just be careful.Do we really need more rules when common sense is all that is required.
This virus is going to be here for a while and looking around people are just going about as normal,so better to avoid the crowds is the best way to stay safe.There is plenty of decent fishing where you can do that unless you like the football match scenarios.
The tv thing I was referring to was about reducing the 2m, mainly for work, my view is 2m is not enough for me with people I don't know, that is my risk assessment.

ed_t

Barring competitions how many boat anglers will two's up with someone they don't know and trust?

Trust being important.

Cap'n Fishy

Barring competitions how many boat anglers will two's up with someone they don't know and trust?

Trust being important.
Well, this is it. Boat fishing is largely all about 2 in a boat. In the course of a normal season I would fish with everyone from complete strangers, through regular club members, and less close friends, to close friends and family members. If you have booked a week's fishing on a highland loch with a friend, you're not going to travel all the way there (in separate cars if required) and then take turns at taking the boat out. It's gonna be a minefield from here on...

Col

speytime

If you can maintain your 2mtrs on the boat shouldn't it be up to the individuals, that's what the law requires and maintaining 2mtr on a boat shouldn't be a difficult task for a couple of sensible people?

Latest posts