Some Good News For Irish Anglers

G

guest54

Good news, if they can pull it off, step one: clamp down hard on poaching and indiscriminate raping of loughs and rivers. Unfortunately tougher laws are needed and politicians are rarely keen to do that and anglers are resistant to change. I won't be booking the ferry anytime soon.

speylady

It will be really tough to re educate and change attitudes.

I say 100% catch & release ( I know ..I'm dreaming! )

Shirl

paddy5

We are currently in middle of the best backends for bass since I began to target the species following the best salmon run on the Blackwater since the nineties, with my hand on heart can say have not seen a fisheries officer in the last six years despite regularly fishing all the local hotspots. The IFI are talking sh1te probably as a precursor to a national angling license or some such...

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Guest107

Last time I went over to Ireland I was made to feel decidedly unwelcome. I swore I would never go back.
It must have been you to blame then. :confused:

What did you do? Wear your union jack T-Shirt down the pub?

This thread is meant for good news about angling not the disappointment of British tourists.

Guest107

The IFI have also been given a grant of almost €80k to develop a stocked fishery at Lough Nanannagh, just outside Claremorris, I think to try and encourage youngsters into angling.

mackiia1

Sorry to sound pessimistic Bill , but I wouldn't trust IFI to organise a pi55 up in a brewery.
They talk a good show all right , but that's about it.
Years ago I made several complaints to them about an ongoing pollution issue on my local river - did absolutely nothing about it.
Fishery protection is a joke - I haven't met a fishery officer on patrol in my neck of the woods in over 20 years.
I have met an officer only once in 15 years of fishing the Corrib.

black knight

Sorry to hear that BK - where and how ???
I and the wife started at Dublin and worked across country on a connoisseur Irish whisky buying trip I collect rare and unusual malts. We finish up in Galloway. No hotels would take us so we drove back to Dublin checking dozens of B & Bs along the way. They were all full. We slept in the airport.

We went to Killarney in a hotel sight seeing and me some fishing. We did the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle Way. Wherever we stopped we were treated coldly. Because I was driving a North Ireland plate car people shook their fists as I passed. We stopped for fish and chips and found when we came to open them they were stone cold and probably left overs from the previous evenings frying.

These are my personal experiences and I may just have been unlucky.

mackiia1

I and the wife started at Dublin and worked across country on a connoisseur Irish whisky buying trip I collect rare and unusual malts. We finish up in Galloway. No hotels would take us so we drove back to Dublin checking dozens of B & Bs along the way. They were all full. We slept in the airport.

We went to Killarney in a hotel sight seeing and me some fishing. We did the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle Way. Wherever we stopped we were treated coldly. Because I was driving a North Ireland plate car people shook their fists as I passed. We stopped for fish and chips and found when we came to open them they were stone cold and probably left overs from the previous evenings frying.

These are my personal experiences and I may just have been unlucky.
Seems very extreme BK - must have been horrible for you and your wife.:(
To my knowledge or experience , its not something that is a common occurrence - (except for the odd ***** to go shouting his mouth off .)
My father was English - lived over here for over 30 years and never lost his Cockney accent .
I can honestly say I never witnessed him getting any grief or heard him complaining about any anti English comments / behaviors.
There are a lot of English people living in my part of Ireland - they all seem happy enough.

Guest107

I have met an officer only once in 15 years of fishing the Corrib.
I must have been lucky last year. I came across a nesting pair of IFI Officers sound asleep under the bushes on the shore of one of the islands off doorus. (fact) :D

mackiia1

I must have been lucky last year. I came across a nesting pair of IFI Officers sound asleep under the bushes on the shore of one of the islands off doorus. (fact) :D
I had heard the rumors about the ' Lesser Spotted IFI Officers ' on Corrib - did you get a photograph ??:D