sounding out interest in a fly swap

heathenwoods

I'll put something in. Not sure what. I'll let you know when I have a look through and see what feathers and threads I have. I might do some waterhen bloa or a variant but that'll depend on me feather supplies.

doobrysnatcher

variant or not i personally look forward to your contribution its not about being perfet its about how you tie yours as we all have different interpretations on the same fly so can you be counted in?

mr_eejit

Don't want to put a damper on the fly tying competition (if it goes ahead) but do people think it's safe atm with the virus, as doctor's etc say the virus lasts 9 days on metallic surfaces (which could be classed as hooks). I'm no expert so don't know how long it could stay on other materials, and then the flies tied will be sent to other tyers, so basically could be spreading virus to others, I only saying this as I'm self isolating atm as haven't been feeling well about a week, and wouldn't like to pass anything on to others (still hoping I will be fine). Don't bite my head off for this post, I'm just trying to keep everyone safe, would love to join but can't risk it.

doobrysnatcher

Don't want to put a damper on the fly tying competition (if it goes ahead) but do people think it's safe atm with the virus, as doctor's etc say the virus lasts 9 days on metallic surfaces (which could be classed as hooks). I'm no expert so don't know how long it could stay on other materials, and then the flies tied will be sent to other tyers, so basically could be spreading virus to others, I only saying this as I'm self isolating atm as haven't been feeling well about a week, and wouldn't like to pass anything on to others (still hoping I will be fine). Don't bite my head off for this post, I'm just trying to keep everyone safe, would love to join but can't risk it.
theres a mutitude of gloves out there latex rubber and you can spray your flies before you send them
but as you say your self your ill so dont contributeuntil your all clear ,if you tie them now we could give a 3 week duration before posting them

Last edited:

heathenwoods

Actually, that's a decent point from mr(not_such_an)_eejit. I'll see how I get on with tying with gloves. If I can't do it then I'll give it a miss until the all-clear. I'll have a practice on Tuesday and let you know how it goes.

doobrysnatcher

mine are tied about 2 weeks and in a hook box unhandled since ,when i go to post them if it goes ahead ill put on gloves and pop them in an envelope would this be okay ?the organiser can then quarantine them again for a further fortnight and only handle with gloves also before reposting them

Last edited:

doobrysnatcher

we can reduce the numbers if need be and maybe if you prefer 2 of each for 5 -6 people if there not enough interest ill take over if need be as im already and keen for it if thats ok
what say yee

me; greenwells done
baltic- purplesnipe up for it
heathenwood waterhen bloahs up for it
spey time emergers ready to go

Last edited:

doobrysnatcher

now its beginning to roll theres 4 in, sign up deadline saturday 28 so come on lads what are ye waiting for its open to all tiers of any stage

Last edited:

pentlandflyman

pretty silly idea just now, the virus lives on many types of surfaces for days and some for over a week, you are putting people at risk for the sake of a fly swap. you might be fine but how many guys use saliva when tying, innocently licking their fingers ? who will handle the letter from when it leaves your hands. yes i might get accused of over reacting but i don't care, just hold off until its over because any extra risk really isn't worth it.

doobrysnatcher

pretty silly idea just now, the virus lives on many types of surfaces for days and some for over a week, you are putting people at risk for the sake of a fly swap. you might be fine but how many guys use saliva when tying, innocently licking their fingers ? who will handle the letter from when it leaves your hands. yes i might get accused of over reacting but i don't care, just hold off until its over because any extra risk really isn't worth it.
i think to get this right all flies need to be tied by monday and then quarintine them for a forthnight the in an envelope using gloves, if some one is feeling ill for our quarantine time or awaiting a test please notify us and we will exclude you , covid is a serious virus and one which kills ,
so please adhere to this , AH F**K IT well postpone it altogether for a year

mr_eejit

i think to get this right all flies need to be tied by monday and then quarintine them for a forthnight the in an envelope using gloves, if some one is feeling ill for our quarantine time or awaiting a test please notify us and we will exclude you , covid is a serious virus and one which kills ,
so please adhere to this , AH F**K IT well postpone it altogether for a year
I know it's not the same and a few are disappointed that the competition can't go ahead for safety reasons, but what about starting a competition thread were people can post a picture of there fly (whichever fly is picked for the competition). Say 10 decide to enter, then the thread will only be allowed a picture of each person's fly, so 10 pictures and no comments under any post. That way the pictures won't be lost in amongst peoples comments. Then when all 10 (or how many enter) are posted on the forum people can click likes for the one they think looks best, maybe have a poll option on top off the thread for people to vote. This way more people might want to enter, just have to take into consideration that not everyone has photography equipment to take great pictures. I know its not the same as receiving others people's masterpieces but best we can really do in times like this. Just my thoughts.

EDIT: just remembered that there are some brilliant tyers on here that will probs get all the votes so a vote option might not be be the best for amature people starting out

Last edited:

doobrysnatcher

I know it's not the same and a few are disappointed that the competition can't go ahead for safety reasons, but what about starting a competition thread were people can post a picture of there fly (whichever fly is picked for the competition). Say 10 decide to enter, then the thread will only be allowed a picture of each person's fly, so 10 pictures and no comments under any post. That way the pictures won't be lost in amongst peoples comments. Then when all 10 (or how many enter) are posted on the forum people can click likes for the one they think looks best, maybe have a poll option on top off the thread for people to vote. This way more people might want to enter, just have to take into consideration that not everyone has photography equipment to take great pictures. I know its not the same as receiving others people's masterpieces but best we can really do in times like this. Just my thoughts.

EDIT: just remembered that there are some brilliant tyers on here that will probs get all the votes so a vote option might not be be the best for amature people starting out
it wasnt meant to be competitive ,it was supposed to be a learning curve for each of us , techniques proportions ,materials, etc etc ,but as you say better safe than sorry, or worse dead

heathenwoods

Yep, I'm happy to wait.
Once we're in the clear I will definitely be up for it but until then I'm going to leave it for the time being.