SOUTH WEST CASTING CLUB?

Pete T

Trade Member
Hi,

If you are all happy with the idea then I am really happy to crack on.

My initial thoughts were to go with a Sunday morning, something like 10 til 12 but we can do longer or shorter if you would prefer and have a cast, help out others, try some rods ( I am sure Toby will have a few!) and have some fun.

As some might have to travel a bit I was going to say we aim for either once or possibly twice a month over the closed season.

I am still busy with the season at the mo but was thinking about Oct some time and will come back with some dates and see how it suits everyone.

Carl, how's it going?
We have had a few fish show on the water but not any great numbers yet. As you know it has been a season of low water. The last rains we have had last week brought the river up 1ft max, coloured it up and it shot straight back down again while the Exe and Torridge had loads and plenty of fish with it!
I know a fair few fish have been caught just a few miles downstream of us where one of the main tributaries runs off of Exmoor and joins the Taw which has had the most of the rain. I heard a guy had 2 in just a few casts the other day just downstream of the junction.

Canefly, bring bamboo, I'll have my Bannister Superfast and a few others you might be interested in with me and will ask Luke if he can come up as he always has something unusual in the van.

David, I look forward to seeing you Sat, do I find you in the bar?!

Pete

westcountry

Banned
Banned
I might be up for this although after thirty years of fishing without a single lesson my casting is now beyond all hope!

Pete's offer looks like a good option. While Exeter might be a bit more central in terms of the road network I'm not sure where you would actually hold the meetings. I know there is a bloody great river in town but where would we park (on a Saturday) etc.

Pete I was thinking a 10am start might be a bit early for those who have to travel but I can see that you might want your Saturday afternoons. Maybe we should all pitch up on Friday night and get hammered:guinness:

Andy

canefly

Hi guys

I'm away on the 16th/17th october but free the rest of the month:)

Bamboo?? I was thinking more my GLXD,don't let the name fool you:D

I doubt your river is small enough for my bamboo?:whistle:

canefly

Mark

You should come along? there is a no better start to fly casting than help/lessons from a qualified instructor.I spent ages putting right my faults(and still have them:rolleyes:) the right help from the start, would have saved a lot of grief:(

westcountry

Banned
Banned
Mark, Canefly is right. As stated above I never had a lesson in my life but as a result I wasted much of my first ever season and fair bits of following ones! This didn't really matter at the time as I was only a nipper and dad was paying:) but it was a lot of grief that could so easily have been avoided!

Andy

jiffy

Maybe the ones intrested from the Bristol area could get together and share the driving down to Devon.

Pete T

Trade Member
Andy, for someone who is beyond help you don't half catch some fish!

Mark, don't worry at all you'd be most welcome. As I see it, it is about everyone helping each other if they need it but also to have some fun too.

Canefly, GLXD sounds like fun but bring the twig too.

Right then, I have either Sun 24th or Sun 31st of Oct pencilled in for a 10.30 or 11am start...which suits everyone best?

canefly

Either of those dates are fine with me:)

I'll bring a few rods with me, including my favourite small stream cane rod;)

Have we any distance boys coming to marvel at?:D

Pete T

Trade Member
Hi Mark,

As I see it, it would work like the other casting clubs on the basis that it were 2 or 3 hours in length and is informal and we'll be able to give some tips and help out. It is mentioned in one of the other threads but I guess I have to say that it won't be 1 to 1 tuition with an instructor. As a result there would be no cost.

I thought that we could talk about what we'd like to cover when we meet or on here and then do a few demos etc and see how it goes. Have a bit of a cast of some different rods and hopefully talk about fishing!

As we are on private land I don't think there is need for insurance ( I could be wrong) so it is just a case of turn up and have some fun.

Pete

westcountry

Banned
Banned
Andy, for someone who is beyond help you don't half catch some fish!

Yes but I don't talk about my blanks;) Also I fish within my limited capabilities, anything more than 15 yards away is safe from me!

If it is Sundays we are looking at then I can do any date so put me down as a definate.

Andy

dwdw1

31st would probably suit me better, but I can probably make either. Thanks again Pete!
cheers
David

Pete T

Trade Member
Hi all,

Lets aim for Sunday 31st Oct then, 10.30am start.

The post code of the hotel is EX18 7JZ and it is on the A377 Exeter to Barnstaple and is located in Eggesford.

There is a pretty large car park so we can meet there.

Andy, always good to see you mate!

Pete

Latest posts