Fly Fishing Forum banner

SOUTH WEST CASTING CLUB?

8K views 77 replies 17 participants last post by  Pete T 
#1 ·
Has there ever been any interest in or discussion about a south-west casting club?
cheers
dw

#8 ·
Chew/blagdon would be fine (about 1hr drive) Exeter is a little far (2.5hrs) but would be ok for occasional visits.

Carl

#21 ·
Hi,

If you are all happy with the idea then I am really happy to crack on.

My initial thoughts were to go with a Sunday morning, something like 10 til 12 but we can do longer or shorter if you would prefer and have a cast, help out others, try some rods ( I am sure Toby will have a few!) and have some fun.

As some might have to travel a bit I was going to say we aim for either once or possibly twice a month over the closed season.

I am still busy with the season at the mo but was thinking about Oct some time and will come back with some dates and see how it suits everyone.

Carl, how's it going?
We have had a few fish show on the water but not any great numbers yet. As you know it has been a season of low water. The last rains we have had last week brought the river up 1ft max, coloured it up and it shot straight back down again while the Exe and Torridge had loads and plenty of fish with it!
I know a fair few fish have been caught just a few miles downstream of us where one of the main tributaries runs off of Exmoor and joins the Taw which has had the most of the rain. I heard a guy had 2 in just a few casts the other day just downstream of the junction.

Canefly, bring bamboo, I'll have my Bannister Superfast and a few others you might be interested in with me and will ask Luke if he can come up as he always has something unusual in the van.

David, I look forward to seeing you Sat, do I find you in the bar?!

Pete

#22 ·
I might be up for this although after thirty years of fishing without a single lesson my casting is now beyond all hope!

Pete's offer looks like a good option. While Exeter might be a bit more central in terms of the road network I'm not sure where you would actually hold the meetings. I know there is a bloody great river in town but where would we park (on a Saturday) etc.

Pete I was thinking a 10am start might be a bit early for those who have to travel but I can see that you might want your Saturday afternoons. Maybe we should all pitch up on Friday night and get hammered:guinness:

Andy

#26 ·
Mark, Canefly is right. As stated above I never had a lesson in my life but as a result I wasted much of my first ever season and fair bits of following ones! This didn't really matter at the time as I was only a nipper and dad was paying:) but it was a lot of grief that could so easily have been avoided!

Andy

#29 ·
Andy, for someone who is beyond help you don't half catch some fish!

Mark, don't worry at all you'd be most welcome. As I see it, it is about everyone helping each other if they need it but also to have some fun too.

Canefly, GLXD sounds like fun but bring the twig too.

Right then, I have either Sun 24th or Sun 31st of Oct pencilled in for a 10.30 or 11am start...which suits everyone best?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.