Spain - Aragon - Zaragoza

haddock78

Hello,

hoping if the world gets back to some sort of normality to do a family holiday in Northern Spain next summer.

Wondered if anyone had any recommendations for areas to stay with good fishing in close proximity? Thinking of within 1hr drive of Zaragoza.

Happy to fish for anything but probably most interested in sight fishing to carp and barbel.

danielp

Hello,

hoping if the world gets back to some sort of normality to do a family holiday in Northern Spain next summer.

Wondered if anyone had any recommendations for areas to stay with good fishing in close proximity? Thinking of within 1hr drive of Zaragoza.

Happy to fish for anything but probably most interested in sight fishing to carp and barbel.
Fuurther south thank you are asking but Andy Lush (used to run the Friendly Fisherman in Tunbridge Wells) had a lot of success in Spain for the barbel on a couple of the big reservoirs.

sewinbasher

I fished in Huesca province in the north east of Aragon, near the Pyrenees, some years ago based on Jaca. There was good barbel fishing on the local Rio Aragon and Rio Aragon Subordan using a Peeping Caddis, but I didn't see any carp. Some other smaller streams like the Veral and Gallegos had excellent trout fishing in crystal clear water with prolific fly life.

Last edited:

daniport

Hello,

Hi Haddock,

I live on the Eastern side of Aragon, near Lerida. For the last couple of years I have focused on the Pyrenees area just to the north of Zaragoza (I usually fish the Catalan side of the Pyrenees). There is plenty of good fishing in that area and some really nice places to stay.. I would say its just over an hour to get there.. the roads are really good so its a nice drive.

Best place I would think is the beat of Olivan just north of Sabiñanigo. Lovely hotel in San Pedro de Larrede to stay in.
Lafortunada is a bit further away but a lovely stretch of wild river.
Then there is Ansó, I have not fished it but I have been told its very good.

The problem with the majority of the Aragon rivers is you need to prebuy your day tickets (More than happy to help here by the way). If you dont mid travelling to Catalunya then all done via internet and you can adapt on the go.

Drop me a pm if you want to discuss further.

Regards

Daniel

glueman

Hello,

Remember to get your Visa

dave b

I fished in Zaragoza on the Ebro 20 yrs ago while working there. We took a 50lb sack of brown crumb and 4 crates of sweetcorn and fished heavy feeder rods with large open end feeders.

I've never known carp fight so hard. They weren't big with a double being a rarity and most fish weighing 3-5lbs. The barbel we caught were small with 2-3lbs being about average.

The river was always coloured in the city so sight fishing was not an option, however the fishing was none stop action. Line was 8lb Maxima and 6lb Maxima hook length to a size 12 speci hook and after 3-4 hrs you knew you'd been fishing.

Not sure what it's like now but in those days it was great fun after work.

haddock78

Th
the Reservoir has taken a bit of a hammering recently and the large mouth bass are harder to find. Carp though can be targeted in the flat shallow areas and are great fun.
Thanks for all the replies and helpful info. Daniport I'll send you a pm, thanks.

Latest posts