Spare parts

Alan C

I need a new top section for a Grey's GR50 rod. It was on the lip of my car boot when a friend came up and diverted my attention, and he also managed to trigger the foot operated sensor! It completely crushed it.
I have now emailed Greys four times without response and their phone doesn't. work either. Apart from buying a new rod, any suggestions,please?

codyarrow

With service like that a new rod with a different company sounds like a plan.

Alan C

That is one alternative, I know. I am a senior geriatric, and have not been fly fishing that long. The GR50 is a rod that I get on with. I have a Cortland Classic that I find nearly, but not quite the same.
I started fly fishing with a Greys GR 20, but find I don't get on with that after the GR50.

Flyway

Shocking service ... Are you on twitter or instagram? Go to war with them on there and use the hashtags they use ... they'll soon get in touch.

Alan C

Someone on here has an email address for Pure Fishing (the parent company it seems) and I went on it and got a very prompt reply. Sadly, there are no spares but they offer a replacement at 50% discount.

Mr Notherone

The customer service number for Hardy and Greys is the same and does not work. It may be a recent connection glitch...? I've had good customer service from Hardy in the past.

roger h 10

I'm not sure who owns Hardy/Greys at the moment as I thought Pure Fishing had been bought out.Garry Evan's are worth asking if they can help you. Other than that I've got a brand new tip section for a GR70 9' #6 weight sitting in my loft. You can have it for the cost of P&P.

2306chris

The shop is temporally closed, this could be why you're having difficulty contacting them
I spoke to a member of staff in the shop yesterday, it's current opening hours are Wed-Sat 9 - 5. They have a facebook page 'The Compleat Angler' which you can also use to contact them. It is only open another 3 weeks then closes altogether (the whole building). The store will relocate to a shop in Alnwick town centre and the museum will be in a room above the shop, the rest of it won't exist anymore. Sad times, the building will soon just be another industrial outlet (with a casting pond out front !)

Paul_B

I spoke to a member of staff in the shop yesterday, it's current opening hours are Wed-Sat 9 - 5. They have a facebook page 'The Compleat Angler' which you can also use to contact them. It is only open another 3 weeks then closes altogether (the whole building). The store will relocate to a shop in Alnwick town centre and the museum will be in a room above the shop, the rest of it won't exist anymore. Sad times, the building will soon just be another industrial outlet (with a casting pond out front !)

Thanks Chris, I was going on what the website said.

I must admit I liked the shop and bought from them because of the casting strip, ease of parking and their customer service, I hope we can still try before buying with their new shop.

ohanzee

That is one alternative, I know. I am a senior geriatric, and have not been fly fishing that long. The GR50 is a rod that I get on with. I have a Cortland Classic that I find nearly, but not quite the same.
I started fly fishing with a Greys GR 20, but find I don't get on with that after the GR50.

New rod for about £40? imagine phoning Ikea and saying 'I spilt wine on my sofa, any chance on a 50% discount on the new one?'

When you get the new one, just take the tip and stick it on the old one, leave the rest in the box, then if you ever want to sell it...three quarters of it is brand spanky new.

Alan C

New rod over £90 with 50% off, plus around a fiver to send back the old one (you can't keep it for spares)
A mate at the club let me have a good spell with his cheap one from another of Pure Fishing company"s makes. I found it identical for my casting as the GR50. This may just be due to my relative inexperience, but it worked fine for me.
I can get one for £60 including delivery, so will go down that route, as if it is damaged it's not as painful as one that retails at three times that.

Sorry about the 'bold' couldn't undo it !

2306chris

Thanks Chris, I was going on what the website said.

I must admit I liked the shop and bought from them because of the casting strip, ease of parking and their customer service, I hope we can still try before buying with their new shop.
Hi Paul, I have bought many rods and reels from the shop, they have always given a really good discount and customer service has been excellent. As I said, I think it's a real shame but maybe not such a surprise.

Paul_B

Hi Paul, I have bought many rods and reels from the shop, they have always given a really good discount and customer service has been excellent. As I said, I think it's a real shame but maybe not such a surprise.

We book our holidays up there so I can buy from the shop, the last time we went, the discounts paid for our holiday at Anstead farm (before lockdown). (y)

Alan C

I'm not sure who owns Hardy/Greys at the moment as I thought Pure Fishing had been bought out.Garry Evan's are worth asking if they can help you. Other than that I've got a brand new tip section for a GR70 9' #6 weight sitting in my loft. You can have it for the cost of P&P.
Hi, Roger, do you think the GR70 tip would fit a GR50? Your generous offer makes me think it is worth a try. How to we message each other directly? My rod is a9ft 6 weight incidentally.

Paul_B

Hi, Roger, do you think the GR70 tip would fit a GR50? Your generous offer makes me think it is worth a try. How to we message each other directly? My rod is a9ft 6 weight incidentally.

Put the curser over rogers name and a screen will come up, click on the bit where it says start a conversation :)

roger h 10

Hi Alan, I don't know but it may well do. It might be worth asking on the forum someone may have both rods and be prepared to try the GR 70 tip on the GR 50 rod.

Vintage Badger

Hi Alan, I don't know but it may well do. It might be worth asking on the forum someone may have both rods and be prepared to try the GR 70 tip on the GR 50 rod.
Just because it fits one rod may not necessarily mean it will fit them all. A couple of years ago I had the misfortune to break the tip section of my Sage rod (a 9ft 6in #6 FLi bought new by me in 2007 for £225, but very lightly used and still looking like new). I knew this rod came with a 'lifetime' warranty so I wasn't too worried and contacted Sage's UK agent to find that it was indeed covered under warranty, but there would be a charge for the claim.

As my rod was over 10 years old it was classified as a 'classic', so a replacement section under the lifetime warranty scheme would cost me £125 (I believe this has now increased to £150 for 'classic' rods)!

How does that work? Can somebody explain to me the difference between a 'warranty' and what could perhaps be seen as just charging someone a not unsubstantial sum for a replacement part? :unsure:

This aside, I decided paying for a new tip section was cheaper than buying a new, equivalent-quality rod (which now seemed to start at around £400), so I had to stump up. Now, back to the quoted post above - I asked if I could have the old rod tip back (thinking I might be able to mend the small split and keep it as an emergency spare). I was told this wasn't possible as they hadn't got any new tip sections in stock in the UK, so they'd have to cut the butt section of the tip off to post it to America so Sage could measure it to make sure the tip section they sent back would be the correct fit for the rod.

A few weeks later I got the rod back with the new tip, which fitted perfectly, albeit a very slightly different colour shade to the rest of the rod. The warranty wording did make it clear an exact colour match may not be possible, so no quibbles there.

I finally got chance to use this rod last week (rubbish weather in 2019, lockdown in 2020, work, etc. preventing this before hand, other than a quick cast on grass to check it wasn't noticeably 'wrong') . I'm glad to say the rod feels fine and I think I probably made the right decision. Fair play to Sage too for either carrying 'classic' rod section spares, or making a new rod section for me, I'm still not sure which they did. It sounds better than Greys if they don't have spares for a far more recent (?) rod than mine.

However, when it comes to 'lifetime' rod warranties, I think it's a case of reading the wording very carefully, and hoping those terms and conditions still apply in several years time if the need arises.

Last edited:

Latest posts