Sparrow Hawk.

grandad keith

We see a female in our garden frequently. Have watched her twice despatch a starling, the unfortunate victim was laid on its back vainly trying to defend itself with what is quite a long ,sharp beak, took a long time to die, a fascinating but hard thing to watch.

smallmouth

Yes they are. And there's always a been pair here, over the last twenty years anyway.

It's been so quiet lately, that I saw the male sitting on next door's gate post, probably waiting to launch an attack on our feeders.

Cap'n Fishy

Had a sparrowhawk last week that took a sparrow out of a bush in my back garden. Not seen one for a while.
This was from a few years back, now got a new shed and garage roof.

Excellent footage, Ged. He wasn't for giving up, once he had them cornered in deep cover, eh? Great how he worked away and worked away at them, even getting in along the ground under the bush - almost the way a Harris Hawk works. And when they broke cover and made a dash for it... Ooft! On it in a flash! A well-earned dinner! Superb! (y)

Col

wobbly face

Excellent footage, Ged. He wasn't for giving up, once he had them cornered in deep cover, eh? Great how he worked away and worked away at them, even getting in along the ground under the bush - almost the way a Harris Hawk works. And when they broke cover and made a dash for it... Ooft! On it in a flash! A well-earned dinner! Superb! (y)

Col

He went hungry Col. Whilst he went to the back and bottom of the bush, they went out of the front and escaped to neighbours hedge.
I have seen them fly low over hedges to spook any birds out.