Specimen rudd

T_James

Has anyone here ever targeted them seriously on a fly? I am tempted to spend the summer hunting a decent one, especially as I have access to clear weedy venues fairly close to home.

Jason 70

I haven't Tim but I plan to on a little river near home once we are allowed to fish. I've seen some nice fish knocking about in the past.

4wings

I used to fish for Rudd and Pike on Slapton Ley, the Rudd were quite large (or so I thought) perhaps the Field Centre has figures for any specimens

BobP

It might be worth checking out https://flyforcoarse.com/ for some inspiration.

The current record for Rudd is 2lb 3oz, but I'd be well chuffed with anything over 1lb

The few Rudd I have caught have been dry fly on the Grand Union Canal and winter wet fly on a local stream. All have been tiddlers.

Sorry about this but the rod caught record rudd is 4lb 10oz. There are actually two fish at that weight both caught by the same person in Northern Ireland in 2001.

I used to know the person who held the rudd record prior to that. A 4lb 8oz fish caught in Norfolk by the Rev. Edward C Alston. He also held the tench record at the same time and had the most amazing collection of cased fish including a burbot, one of the very few caught on rod & line. I often wondered what happened to his collection as it would be worth serious money these days.

steve collyer

They love smallish (size 16 or 18) midge pupa fished in the surface film. (y)
I've never had anything particularly big though, as I've always been going for trout.

Carp in my experience seem to love Sawyer's Killer Bug, but that's another story...

BobP

I just looked up the Rev. The rudd was caught in the 1930's in Norfolk where he was a parson. The record stood for 68 years. He also held the tench record at the same time with a fish of 7lb also set up and cased by Cooper, the most famous taxidermist of the day.

The Rev was considered to be the last of the Great Sporting Parsons having served the church in Ireland as well as in England. He was a keen and enthusiastic shot as well as an angler. He had a great collection of antique fishing tackle as well as all the cased fish. He was a very amusing character. I got to know him when he lived in Warminster in the 1970's. I got the introduction through Dick Walker.

If you want to catch big rudd on a fly rod I would suggest combining coarse tactics in your approach. First find your rudd and for that clear water would best. Loose feed casters a few at a time when you've located a shoal and when you've got them feeding and competing cast an artificial caster among them. You'll need to be good because I think you'll only get one or two cracks at this.

Alternatives adopt the Crabtree approach. Anchor a good lump of bread and wait for them to start attacking it. Pop your fly among them and see if you can get one on the drop.

And yes, all the Rev's fish were caught on bait as would have been the current rudd record. I think a 2lb fly caught rudd is a very big ask given how few of them there are, and then you'll need to check carefully for hybridisation as they interbreed freely with roach. It was anglers taking roach livebaits over to Ireland that have wrecked the Irish rudd fishery as there never used to be roach over there.

Last edited: