Spey casts

speytime

Do you fellas use snap - t , perry poke & snake roll casts for salmon fishing with two handed speyrods or just double & single Spey cast ? Are skagit lines popular ?
Skagit lines are popular if you're casting heavy flies or/and sink tips, the line is short and fat and has weight to lift them from the water, a perry poke is cast used with Skagit lines to set an anchor.

Most people use a variety of casts to accommodate up/down stream winds, it's well worth booking a couple of hours with an instructor.

Al

bennysbuddy

I live near the skagit river & was just starting with two hangers when the skagit lines & cast where being developed. I still have a bunch of those early lines made by splicing various fly lines together. I was curious if across the pond they ever caught on or if longbelly double tapered lines were still the norm

speytime

I live near the skagit river & was just starting with two hangers when the skagit lines & cast where being developed. I still have a bunch of those early lines made by splicing various fly lines together. I was curious if across the pond they ever caught on or if longbelly double tapered lines were still the norm
Yes skagit lines are fairly popular here in the UK, I've a airflo rage that gets occasional use, I've also a short, mid and long belly they all have there applications but the mid gets the most use.

The spliced lines you have might well cast great, someone went to the trouble of slicing them they're certainly worth a cast.

Have you had a chance to look at your ferrule?

Al

shpeil

As a relative newb to salmon and double handed, and having started off with some casting lessons, I learned the singe and double spey and the Circle C... so I think that's probably fairly typical of where folks start.

speytime

That’s the above casts are also what my instructor started me with, he also insisted that i cast of my left shoulder which I was rather reluctant about, surprisingly the line went out nicely, apparently its not unusual something to do with muscle memory.
Now when I'm out practicing I always spend 15/20 minutes left hand up so when it's required I feel quite comfortable with it.

Al