Spider identification

Cap'n Fishy

Snap! Same one I found at Aberlady last week...

Aberlady01Sep21_3124.jpg

Is it a garden spider?

rockslider

looks like a cross orb weaver, their colour can vary from yellow like pictured to dark browns. As Col stated, also known as the garden spider. I believe they make a new web everyday (which sounds like a lot of work to me!)

wobbly face

Just consulted my book on "British Spiders": ARANEIDAE or orb-weavers contain some 33 species in 15 genera. Webs are spun horizontally in short grass, long grass, gardens, woodlands, eaves of buildings and across farm gates. Insects are trapped in the web, then spun in silk and eaten.
Mating involves a complex series of vibration and jerking of the female's web by the male who may mate with several females during the summer. Each time he risks losing legs or palps until, finally, he cannot escape and at the last time of mating is devoured. Eggs are laid after mating and take two or three years to reach maturity and complete their life cycle.
I bet you all wanted to know that!!!!
As to new webs everyday, no mention in the book and it's not something I've noticed in the garden spiders at home.

Cap'n Fishy

Just consulted my book on "British Spiders": ARANEIDAE or orb-weavers contain some 33 species in 15 genera. Webs are spun horizontally in short grass, long grass, gardens, woodlands, eaves of buildings and across farm gates. Insects are trapped in the web, then spun in silk and eaten.
Mating involves a complex series of vibration and jerking of the female's web by the male who may mate with several females during the summer. Each time he risks losing legs or palps until, finally, he cannot escape and at the last time of mating is devoured. Eggs are laid after mating and take two or three years to reach maturity and complete their life cycle.
I bet you all wanted to know that!!!!
As to new webs everyday, no mention in the book and it's not something I've noticed in the garden spiders at home.

I had one come inside the house a few years ago and built its web on a plant on the windowsill. It only ever had the one web - lasted it for several months... though it did get increasingly tatty...

spider.jpg

wobbly face

Cut Spider.jpg

Not seen any yet this year, usually get a few in the garden. Had one last that made a web between wheelie bin and washing line, when the wind picked up the web broke. The spider would then repair it. It gave up after a week and made a web from the fence to the wheelie bin.