Split-Cane rods;

eddleston123

Why is it that in the seventies I could buy a good glass rod for peanuts.

I do fancy one for my small stream fishing, but not at the rip off eye watering prices that are being charged at the moment!

Douglas

Uncas

I think that most modern fly fishermen are under the impression that cane rods are like the old soft sloppy rods from the turn of the century to the thirty's, but the Americans where building faster tapers good for fairly long distance compared with rods made over here.
It took us a long time to equal rods made by Dickerson/Young/and Leonard, But at least our modern split cane builders can make rods equal to carbon in many respects, but with better fish fighting ability.
And are more pleasing to look at.

sean freeman

I’m sure I remember someone saying the raw materials of a glass rod cost more than those of a carbon rod. Glass has advanced as much as carbon has over the last few decades and modern glass is extremely capable and fun to fish.
Sandy Nelson in Scotland does lovely glass rods at a decent price and will be building on some interesting blanks soon.

jeffhirst

Am afraid I am not convinced. It smells marketing scam. Obvious they are more expensive as they are not yet produced en masse. Don't get me wrong I am not against people using glass or cane or tenkara/whatever that is their choice. I wonder how long before Sage and Hardy get into this market?

sean freeman

Been at least 4-5 years since this resurgence in glass went mainstream and Hardy have a glass rod now but it’s not hugely popular. Orvis have a good glass range at a mid range price point and Sage did once make glass rods (SFL series I think it was) which are very very nice so I hope they do bring them back.

The accuracy I can achieve with my Barclay, McFarland, Ijuin, Epic etc, glass rods is on par with any of my top carbon rods and makes me think a lot of the tip wobble marketing is absolute BS. I still use carbon on loughs or on really windy days on big rivers but I fish mostly glass now.
It’s definitely not a marketing scam, a lot of people never stopped fishing glass due to how much fun it is, you can feel every move the fish makes. I also think the taper of a rod is more important than the material and there are some very good glass blank manufacturers now. The build quality of custom built glass rods is miles better than a modern Sage, Winston, Scott etc but at a cheaper or comparable price point. I love how they look as much as I love fishing them.

JayP

Been at least 4-5 years since this resurgence in glass went mainstream and Hardy have a glass rod now but it’s not hugely popular. Orvis have a good glass range at a mid range price point and Sage did once make glass rods (SFL series I think it was) which are very very nice so I hope they do bring them back.

The accuracy I can achieve with my Barclay, McFarland, Ijuin, Epic etc, glass rods is on par with any of my top carbon rods and makes me think a lot of the tip wobble marketing is absolute BS. I still use carbon on loughs or on really windy days on big rivers but I fish mostly glass now.
It’s definitely not a marketing scam, a lot of people never stopped fishing glass due to how much fun it is, you can feel every move the fish makes. I also think the taper of a rod is more important than the material and there are some very good glass blank manufacturers now. The build quality of custom built glass rods is miles better than a modern Sage, Winston, Scott etc but at a cheaper or comparable price point. I love how they look as much as I love fishing them.
I've got a blue halo 7'6 3 blank on order, hoping it'll get used this year ☹

Uncas

I think one of the best glass rod builders I have seen in a while is Woronoco custom fly rods from the U.S.A.
Have a look.

sean freeman

Nice looking rods! My favourite builder is Chris Barclay, his tapers are just amazing. E Glass so it’s strong but my 72 and soon to arrive 68 are 2 ounces or less in the case of the 68. Have a browse and hide your credit card!

Uncas

Nice looking rods! My favourite builder is Chris Barclay, his tapers are just amazing. E Glass so it’s strong but my 72 and soon to arrive 68 are 2 ounces or less in the case of the 68. Have a browse and hide your credit card!

How much is import duty & vat please, for one of these rods.

dave b

I started fishing with a 5ft 6in Woolies spinning kit. A neighbour later gave me a 9ft cane coarse rod which was a revelation. A number of years later I moved on to a 12ft Intrepid glass match rod before moving onto a 12ft Abu Mk5.

When carbon came out it was a revelation. The 12ft Sundridge Kevin Ashurst rod I bought was like a magic wand.

Move on 40 + yrs and into fly fishing and trying glass and cane again for me was like a step back in time. More than anything it reminded me not of the magical times I had with glass and cane but was a stark reminder of that glass and wood are primarily insulators. They don't transmit energy or feeling in the same way that carbon does.

Good 2#, 3# and 4# carbon rods are magical things, I'm sorry to be the first negative poster on this thread but for me glass and cane don't give the same thrill, feel or enjoyment that a good carbon rod does, however I will read the thread with interest and wish all those looking for a magical glass or cane rod all the best in your endeavours.

Last edited: