Split-Cane rods;

stevel

Just to add: the added benefit in this process is that if you take the time to find the right guy, at worst you'll have a fantastic fishing tool to your liking, at best you will have the pleasure of having discovered the new Bjarne Fries, Glenn Bracket, Mario Wojnicky etc, could have mentioned many more) before everyone else!

My current liking is with Massimo Tirrochi. He's currently making me a third rod...Can't wait for it to come!!!!
I will say that reputation and cost, sometimes has no bearing on quality.
Unlike with production items, quality in general will increase with cost, with some bespoke items this relationship sometimes doesn't hold true.
I nearly was turned off bamboo for life, after disastrous commissions with 2 world known makers. I ended up losing £1500 on one of them.
I can only stress that you make sure you test cast them beforehand and get as many (true) referrals and recommendations as you can, before placing that order and paying that deposit.

G

GEK79

Check out the price of a Per Brandin. If you could get on a list you'd probably pay at least double that, and I've seen some that fetched close to 5 figures.
Wow.. Maybe one day.. I'm sure they are worth the money and treasured by their owners.

G

GEK79

Check out the price of a Per Brandin. If you could get on a list you'd probably pay at least double that, and I've seen some that fetched close to 5 figures.
I just looked at his website. I must say the rods look like pieces of art..

sean freeman

Interesting comments lads, what would be a few recommendations for builders that are of equal quality to something like a Moran? I’ve enquired with a buddy about a Moran and he has a beautiful as new 6’6” #4.

G

GEK79

Interesting comments lads, what would be a few recommendations for builders that are of equal quality to something like a Moran? I’ve enquired with a buddy about a Moran and he has a beautiful as new 6’6” #4.
Sure you'll get some good advice..

pati

Sean what you need to look at is what action you want out of the rod. If you want something very fast, Massimo Tirocchi is your guy... If you ever come around London bring your Stickman rods I ll bring my NTis and my Tirocchi and we can play around for a while with those toys!

sean freeman

Sean what you need to look at is what action you want out of the rod. If you want something very fast, Massimo Tirocchi is your guy... If you ever come around London bring your Stickman rods I ll bring my NTis and my Tirocchi and we can play around for a while with those toys!
Sounds like a plan mate, thinking a fast taper would be nice for dry fly on the small streams I fish.

stevel

Sean,
Of the UK makers, probably Barder is the one who has most fame and also reputation for the best finishes in the world. Prices similar if not more to a Moran. Moran's rods were swelled butt rods which I believe gives a bit more speed and strength.
For fast, I think the rods by Luke Bannister have that reputation, some even super fast.
There are others like Gary Marshall who reproduce classic tapers and some of his own, in both classic solid and (semi) hollow rods. Hollowing gives lightness and crispness. His wrap finishes are superb, some if the best I've seen, and prices half that of the US "masters".
Cheers.
Steve

sean freeman

Sean,
Of the UK makers, probably Barder is the one who has most fame and also reputation for the best finishes in the world. Prices similar if not more to a Moran. Moran's rods were swelled butt rods which I believe gives a bit more speed and strength.
For fast, I think the rods by Luke Bannister have that reputation, some even super fast.
There are others like Gary Marshall who reproduce classic tapers and some of his own, in both classic solid and (semi) hollow rods. Hollowing gives lightness and crispness. His wrap finishes are superb, some if the best I've seen, and prices half that of the US "masters".
Cheers.
Steve
That mate of mine with the Morans recommended Gary Marshall, said his rods are superb, I’ll have a look at the other makers you recommended too. Like the sound of a hollow rod.

Uncas

Sean if you are starting your homework for cane, a few to look at are these.
Leon Hanson, Chris Vance, James Reams, Bob Summers, Chris Lantzy, Tim Abbott,
Mark McKillip John Clancy, D.G. Shreoder, Glen Bracket ( sweetgrass ),Baginski,Olaf Kundrus,
J.D. Wagner, Tom Regula in Kent.
I am sure Steve can add a few more to this list.

stevel

Sean if you are starting your homework for cane, a few to look at are these.
Leon Hanson, Chris Vance, James Reams, Bob Summers, Chris Lantzy, Tim Abbott,
Mark McKillip John Clancy, D.G. Shreoder, Glen Bracket ( sweetgrass ),Baginski,Olaf Kundrus,
J.D. Wagner, Tom Regula in Kent.
I am sure Steve can add a few more to this list.
Bob Summers - I remember chatting with a Clark's member who told me he had been on a list for Summers and Brandin for over 9 years and still waiting!
However my advice would be to go initially for a maker like Marshall whose cost is reasonable as well as the wait time, but quality of finished rod extremely high. Even most of his components are hand made.
If you then get a taste for bamboo then put yourself on a wait list (after doing due diligence) if you hanker for a name rod, but be prepared to wait, and pay a lot, and it may not be a better finished or fishing rod than a Marshall.

sean freeman

What do you guys reckon to Calum Gladstone rods? They look stunning!

Gary Marshall sounds like the way to go for now. Will contact him before the new season.

pati

Going to have a browse now, a hopeless tackle tart delving into the world of bamboo is very dangerous.

If you want a true flawless fast action bamboo rod you should aim for spliced bamboo ferrules, that is too tedious for me though so the second best option is “regular” bamboo ferrules or widened hex bamboo ferrules and for that Massimo’s a true master ;-)

Sean: as a tackle tart, just read Massimo’s blog articles, you ll see he s a bamboo tart even more than you’re an Abel graphics tart and you ll learn a lot (and I bet you after reading those you’ll want a rod from him!).

stevel

What do you guys reckon to Calum Gladstone rods? They look stunning!

Gary Marshall sounds like the way to go for now. Will contact him before the new season.
Yes I did read of the association between Gladstone and Moran, and possibly the best source for a Moran rod not made by Moran.

Latest posts