Split-Cane rods;

stevel

There's always second hand..
Spinozarods (Marc Aroner & Jonas), took over the amazing second hand business VintageFlyTackle started and nourished by Gary Siemer until his very untimely passing due to cancer last year.
Enough top end cane and bench reel to your heart's content!

If you thought your brook trout trip was expensive, you ain't seen nothing yet! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

corto maltese

Im not an expert at all and a very cack handed, chancer, caster but I've fished Luke's hollow rods and they were a delight, very forgiving and beautiful.
I don't own one of his rods, regretfully, but I do have two of Rod Dibbles rods, I love them, use them, abuse them, and enjoy them thoroughly, beautifully made as well.

Jason 70

It's coming along now, getting pretty excited:)
Handle On.jpg

PaulD

The 'joy' of Luke's rods is encapsulated in the entire process of getting one. From ordering, Luke sends images of the various stages of the build . . . the anticipation is bordering on the criminal. When Luke phoned to tell me my rod was ready I had a sudden urge to go and visit my Mum down in Cornwall . . . and by coincidence, I could also collect my rod! I met Luke on the banks of the River Lyd, near Launceston, put the rod together and we fished. The rod was a present from my wife for my 60th birthday and I will treasure that day and the rod.

Rodbank3.JPG

Jason 70

I'll take a couple of quick snaps with my phone in the week. Hopefully, if it stops raining next week and it's not stopped this week, I'll pop out local on a Saturday and try for some Roach with it. When I've been for a walk recently along the river there are lots of midges coming off and the small Roach and Dace were having a field day darting about.

glosterboy

I've wanted to refurbish a cane rod for ages but I've come to the conclusion 3 and 4 weight split cane rods aren't easy to come by, especially ones that need some work.
I came across this Sharpes 7'6" Featherweight on a well known auction site and decided to have a go. The description said it was probably built the year I was born so it seemed appropriate.
featherweight.jpg

I've just strung a line through it have have to say I'm amazed, it's the first split cane fly rod I've handled. Yes its a bit heavier than the carbon or fiberglass rods I've used but the actions very similar to a 4 weight epic glass rod that's become my favourite over the last season.
It's not a hand built masterpiece but I'm very pleased with it. Cant wait to get on the river and give it a go.

stevel

Nice find! Looking forward to seeing it after refurb.
A good place to look is in classic auctions like Angling Auctions. A friend was looking for a short river rod and loads came up in that category. There's another one in April if you get the bug!
Congrats!

airsprite

You have a good dependable Sharpes rod there, being impregnated the blank will not need to be varnished and is pretty bullet proof.
As you say 3 weight cane rods are hard to find, most of mine are 4 or 5 weights.
What i have found with cane rods is you have to find a line that fully works the rod, to get the best out of it. very often a 5 weight on a 4/5 is best.

Steve

Latest posts