Split-Cane rods;

glosterboy

You have a good dependable Sharpes rod there, being impregnated the blank will not need to be varnished and is pretty bullet proof.
As you say 3 weight cane rods are hard to find, most of mine are 4 or 5 weights.
What i have found with cane rods is you have to find a line that fully works the rod, to get the best out of it. very often a 5 weight on a 4/5 is best.

Steve
Other than the cork the rods in remarkable condition, I've tried a few short casts and roll casts in the garden with WF4 and its fine, much faster than I expected. It may well be better with a 5, I'll try one out and see how it feels.
I'm going to use it this season before I decide whether to refurbish it or not.

sean freeman

This is how my Payne 96 replica on a John Chapman blank is coming along. This picture was just a test fitting of components. The agate is being made this week and the wraps are going to be done in Payne’s signature colours but with translucent Kimono silk as a bit of a modern touch. The reel seat is Amboyna and all the hardware is blued NS.

55310258-A03D-4E30-873E-F542A7149472.jpeg

6F5791C3-B7E8-4F2A-9E32-24F9BD677A80.jpeg

Just to add that it’s Sandy Nelson that’s carrying out this build, very excited for it!

Last edited:

stevel

This is how my Payne 96 replica on a John Chapman blank is coming along. This picture was just a test fitting of components. The agate is being made this week and the wraps are going to be done in Payne’s signature colours but with translucent Kimono silk as a bit of a modern touch. The reel seat is Amboyna and all the hardware is blued NS.

View attachment 35875

View attachment 35876
Just to add that it’s Sandy Nelson that’s carrying out this build, very excited for it!
Really nice Sean, the dark flaming on that blank is striking, and the dark hardware against the dark blank makes it even more so.
You'll have to give a report on how it casts when it arrives.
Beautiful Amboyna spacer, but then again I know because I had first grab from the block! 😛

sean freeman

Really nice Sean, the dark flaming on that blank is striking, and the dark hardware against the dark blank makes it even more so.
You'll have to give a report on how it casts when it arrives.
Beautiful Amboyna spacer, but then again I know because I had first grab from the block! 😛
Yeah I absolutely love the way it’s coming together, Sandy said the action of the blank is amazing, I’ll be giving my own report for sure but this was Sandy’s description.

It’s quick and recovers super fast. I think this is the best introduction to Bamboo you could get. I always thought the 98 was the best intro, but this 96 is probably better. It will be a huge amount of fun.

The Amboyna spacer is a beaut, I found it hard to choose between the pieces he had, they all went well with the blank and dark hardware.

airsprite

View attachment 35875

View attachment 35876
The rod looks great, i built one myself a few years ago, chapmans blanks are first class.
Im interested to see how your wraps look, i did mine in red with a some single black wraps. It looks ok, but I've got to be honest, I've always thought it could have looked better.
Its a great taper, soft, but fast enough to deal with a windy day too.

Steve

sean freeman

The rod looks great, i built one myself a few years ago, chapmans blanks are first class.
Im interested to see how your wraps look, i did mine in red with a some single black wraps. It looks ok, but I've got to be honest, I've always thought it could have looked better.
Its a great taper, soft, but fast enough to deal with a windy day too.

Steve
I’ll get a pic of the guides when it’s done Steve, going with Java brown and orange tippings at the guides and orange/claret at the check, they’ll be classic Payne colours with a bit of a modern look.

I can’t wait to fish it on my small streams now, the taper sounds brilliant.

Cheers,
Sean

corto maltese

I've got a Payne 196 7 ft 4# built by Rod Dibble that I use on my small streams, casts lovely 😁
I've also got another Dibble me facit, 8ft 5# for bigger streams in a mystery taper 😉, again, a bloody lovely casting rod.

stevel

A nice Moran going up for auction in Neil Freeman's next one in April, with a low expected price. Probably go quite a bit above but worth a punt, or following it in the online auction.
BTW it's NOT mine! 😜

Jason 70

A nice Moran going up for auction in Neil Freeman's next one in April, with a low expected price. Probably go quite a bit above but worth a punt, or following it in the online auction.
BTW it's NOT mine! 😜
Steve,

Do you have a link please? Maybe the one later in year, people can attend. I've mentioned before the auction can be a bit snooty, but there are a couple of nice pubs near the venue.

stevel

Steve,

Do you have a link please? Maybe the one later in year, people can attend. I've mentioned before the auction can be a bit snooty, but there are a couple of nice pubs near the venue.
Hi Jason,

No worries, it's here: https://anglingauctions.com/ but I think it's been worked on as the catalogue items I saw this morning are now not accessible. There were about 11 pages of items.
I used to be around the corner from the old one in Chiswick many years ago, but at that stage I wasn't interested in vintage tackle! ☹️
I always remember accidentally making a bid for a centrepin trying to attract the attention of a friend I was meeting there. Luckily it wasn't for an original Cascapedia!
It was nice to go to the pre-auction day and browse items. My friend has just moved down that way, so it would be a good outing for a group to meet up (assuming we're all vaccinated by then!) and have a drink/meal at a pub.

Regards,
Steve

ps The items are on the Catalogue page if you scroll down, but there is also a link to download it as a pdf.

Last edited:

Jason 70

Hi Jason,

No worries, it's here: https://anglingauctions.com/ but I think it's been worked on as the catalogue items I saw this morning are now not accessible. There were about 11 pages of items.
I used to be around the corner from the old one in Chiswick many years ago, but at that stage I wasn't interested in vintage tackle! ☹️
I always remember accidentally making a bid for a centrepin trying to attract the attention of a friend I was meeting there. Luckily it wasn't for an original Cascapedia!
It was nice to go to the pre-auction day and browse items. My friend has just moved down that way, so it would be a good outing for a group to meet up (assuming we're all vaccinated by then!) and have a drink/meal at a pub.

Regards,
Steve
Thanks Steve I'll have a look this evening when I get home. And yep if we can I'd have a Friday off work, have a mooch the day before the auction, then cross the road and have a couple of pints and something to eat. Christ I miss a pub lunch.

stevel

The Bogdan estimate seems quite low too. I reckon that’ll go for a bit more.
These auctions always put their estimates as incredibly conservative levels. With a Bogdan, thre's bound to be international bidders used to US prices. One thing to watch out for is the 20% commission and to factor that into your maximum bids. Langs in the US is another good one, but the rubbish US exchange rates, the 20% commission and then the 33% vat/duty makes it not worthwhile anymore.
The new online bidding is quite good now with a live stream to the auction event, you can watch it and place a realtime bid by a click of a button. In years gone by it was a matter of making an email, phone or static website bid, then waiting to see if you won. Usually not!
In all the years I entered bids the only worthwhile items I won were a pair of Mohlin reels which were fairly uninteresting for international bidders.
There are normally a lot of modern tackle items which go pretty cheaply.

stevel

Very nice build, Jason.
I like the blond cane with the clear wraps, and very smart with the dark royal purple wraps on the ferrules and butt for accent.
Very nice hardware and spacer too. Is that Box elder burl?

Jason 70

Very nice build, Jason.
I like the blond cane with the clear wraps, and very smart with the dark royal purple wraps on the ferrules and butt for accent.
Very nice hardware and spacer too. Is that Box elder burl?

It's Elm steve, I was going to go for the boxwood but Luke sent me another option via an email. And I listened to him.:)

airsprite

I keep thinking about getting someone to restore the Procession cane rod that my father was presented with when he won the all England so I dare use it.

View attachment 36057
I stripped back and rebuilt a 7ft Precision rod a few years ago, the blank was in brilliant order and dead straight. I can't recall it having intermediates, which made the job easier.
It was a fast actioned 4/5 weight, which i eventually sold on.
These were some of the better rods made in Redditch i think.

Steve

Latest posts