Split-Cane rods;

Jason 70

An update, anyway I'd emailed Luke to let him know the rod had arrived and was over the moon. It was a little late, owing to the varnish taking a while longer to cure. No issue for me, Luke had slipped in a couple of bits. Luke then inquired if I checked the bottom of the tube it was shipped in, I hadn't. I went upstairs and these popped out. A leather fly wallet with my initials on and a DT line. Gobsmaked, no need to do that at all. Rods sometimes run over.
PXL_20210217_200930297_copy_2268x3024.jpg

As my wife said 'He did not have to do that what a nice man'. So if you order a rod from Luke in the future, fingers crossed it runs over for you.:love:

stevel

Thanks Steve I'll have a look this evening when I get home. And yep if we can I'd have a Friday off work, have a mooch the day before the auction, then cross the road and have a couple of pints and something to eat. Christ I miss a pub lunch.
Angling Auctions website seems to be down since I posted here last week. Hopefully they haven't been hacked! I have the pdf downloaded if anyone wants it, I may drop Neil an email, but I'm sure he knows the situation

Jason 70

Angling Auctions website seems to be down since I posted here last week. Hopefully they haven't been hacked! I have the pdf downloaded if anyone wants it, I may drop Neil an email, but I'm sure he knows the situation

Steve,

I'll not be bidding on anything, just interested in what things go for.

stevel

It seems it wasn't down, but the website has some software to try and detect hackers and it thought I was trying to hack in when I was just viewing the catalogue so blocked my IP address (or group of addresses, as all devices couldn't enter).
If there's anyone who was blocked like me, please email Neil with your IP address (check out the https://whatismyipaddress.com/ link) and his IT guy will unblock you.
Happy bidding everyone!

pip55

This is how my Payne 96 replica on a John Chapman blank is coming along. This picture was just a test fitting of components. The agate is being made this week and the wraps are going to be done in Payne’s signature colours but with translucent Kimono silk as a bit of a modern touch. The reel seat is Amboyna and all the hardware is blued NS.

View attachment 35875

View attachment 35876
Just to add that it’s Sandy Nelson that’s carrying out this build, very excited for it!
Hi, lovely looking rod. i have just finished building a Payne 96 on a Chapman blank. Chapmans list the blank as a 3wt but I was wondering what size line you have tried on your rod ( if you have had the opportunity?). I was thinking of buying a 3wt DT silk line but didn’t want to commit just yet ££££! Thanks

stevel

Yeah I absolutely love the way it’s coming together, Sandy said the action of the blank is amazing, I’ll be giving my own report for sure but this was Sandy’s description.

It’s quick and recovers super fast. I think this is the best introduction to Bamboo you could get. I always thought the 98 was the best intro, but this 96 is probably better. It will be a huge amount of fun.

The Amboyna spacer is a beaut, I found it hard to choose between the pieces he had, they all went well with the blank and dark hardware.
Wow @sean freeman I just saw your rod on Sandy's Instgram feed, it looks pretty amazing!
I bet you're looking forward to receiving her and stretching her legs!
Congrats!

sean freeman

It’s a beautiful little piece of kit! I can’t wait to fish it properly but casting it on the park has revealed it’s a gem!

Looking forward to commissioning a matching reel from Graeme.

pati

New little one waiting for me...

Fast actionned, 3 sections 6’6”, 2 tips (3wt and 4wt), hollow built, bamboo ferrules under transparent thread, tiger flaming , stabilised amboyna and titanium reel cap and ring...

Just can’t wait to try it!

Attachments

• 54A8E97B-78C5-4297-B7BF-D3894B5489DB.jpeg
    54A8E97B-78C5-4297-B7BF-D3894B5489DB.jpeg
    428.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

stevel

Fast actionned, 2 tips (3wt and 4wt), bamboo ferrules under transparent thread, tiger flaming , stabilised amboyna and titanium reel cap and ring...

Beautiful!
The bamboo ferrules of the Tiroccis are very interesting, very unlike those of any other maker using bamboo ferrules such as Fries, Calviello or Radivoj Savli of Slovenia. It looks like the the ferrule is part of the rod taper, whereas in the others there is a distinct separation between the rod taper and the ferrule. In fact on the Salvi it looks attached to the blank (as with the first graphite/fibreglass overfit ferrules), but unsure about that.
How long are the male ends that go into the bamboo ferrules?
Cheers,
Steve

ps below is the ferrule of a Savli switch rod

20210409_112149.jpg

Uncas

Pat, What length is the rod and what model is it, ( the fastness or America ).
Probably one of the nicest rods I have seen, A delight to own and cast.
You lucky man.

stevel

Fast actionned, 2 tips (3wt and 4wt), bamboo ferrules under transparent thread, tiger flaming , stabilised amboyna and titanium reel cap and ring...

Also one of the nicest "tiger flaming" I've seen, very subtle and more like the variegation in some PY rods. Most go way OTT making for a very strange looking rod.

pati

Pat, What length is the rod and what model is it, ( the fastness or America ).
Probably one of the nicest rods I have seen, A delight to own and cast.
You lucky man.

Hi Uncas

It is a 6’6” and It will be a slightly modified America, with slightly more flex to facilitate roll casts. My first Tirocchi rod is a 7’9” America taper (beefed up on demand to get even more power in the butt for big fish/big river) (see picture).
The America taper is already very fast tippy and powerful so for the type of fishing I’ll do with the 6’6” the fastness would be too much!

Hi Steve,
Massimo’s bamboo ferrules are a work of art they are perfectly integrated in the taper. The Male part goes about 5cm into the female section on my 7’9” rod (see picture). I do not know yet on the new rod as I haven’t received it yet. It is as a tribute to his work and the sheer beauty of these bamboo ferrules that I asked for transparent silk on the ferrules. Youjust can’t imagine how excited I am about receiving that rod!

A fantastic blog post from Massimo on bamboo ferrules: https://massimotirocchi.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/widened-hex-bamboo-ferrules-whbf/

Attachments

• 58325CB1-A294-4606-BA50-29CAF7A29703.jpeg
    58325CB1-A294-4606-BA50-29CAF7A29703.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 118A7233-0F50-401E-AEB2-E2749C797EA2.jpeg
    118A7233-0F50-401E-AEB2-E2749C797EA2.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 39
  • 054EC8EA-044D-4CFF-A28B-737F1D44142E.jpeg
    054EC8EA-044D-4CFF-A28B-737F1D44142E.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 45
  • ACD551A5-BDA8-4315-A781-6B76A757F4F9.jpeg
    ACD551A5-BDA8-4315-A781-6B76A757F4F9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39

stevel

Hi Uncas

It is a 6’6” and It will be a slightly modified America, with slightly more flex to facilitate roll casts. My first Tirocchi rod is a 7’9” America taper (beefed up on demand to get even more power in the butt for big fish/big river) (see picture).
The America taper is already very fast tippy and powerful so for the type of fishing I’ll do with the 6’6” the fastness would be too much!

Hi Steve,
Massimo’s bamboo ferrules are a work of art they are perfectly integrated in the taper. The Male part goes about 5cm into the female section on my 7’9” rod (see picture). I do not know yet on the new rod as I haven’t received it yet. It is as a tribute to his work and the sheer beauty of these bamboo ferrules that I asked for transparent silk on the ferrules. Youjust can’t imagine how excited I am about receiving that rod!

A fantastic blog post from Massimo on bamboo ferrules: https://massimotirocchi.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/widened-hex-bamboo-ferrules-whbf/
Thanks @pati, it's a very interesting read, as you know, my introduction to bamboo was due to a huge interest in bamboo ferrules and both of those other bamboo ferrule makers mentioned, unfortunately both experiences with them not ending well!
For sure Maximo's tapered bamboo ferrule is as the article states, more harmonious than any of the other two's taper as well as Savli's as it is integrated into the taper and almost not visible, much like a new graphite rod. It does however make for a wider taper than say a solid bamboo or even a traditionally semi-hollowed one as it has to have a longer tapered section and ferule which must cover the width of the male, but mainly to have a smooth continuation to the rest of the blank. I guess it is wider but much more hollowed than any traditional semi-hollowed rod. I think that this is much like the splice jointed rods that I have, with the sections of the blank where the splices are, being widened to accommodate the extra weakness by slicing through the blank.
Both Fries' and Calviello's rods were solid I believe, with the former having quite deep flexing rods as a result. I'd be interested to someday try one of those rods to see what they feel like. Besides the very fast tapers - in general I prefer semi-parabolics - but also to see how the action is affected by the blank being so wide, yet hollowed to blend with the ferrule.
When my friend gave me the Savli as a gift, James Reid, who makes splice jointed, hollow single and double handed rods, expressed concern whether a bamboo ferruled rod would be suitable for performing any spey cast where there is a large change in direction, and also "sustained anchor" casts such as a Double Spey, Circle Spey, Snap-T as he didn't believe the bamboo ferrule could withstand the lateral forces involved in making such a cast.
Your rods are trout rods, but at times single handed spey casts are used for situations apart from a regular roll cast, though it would be nothing like the forces from a double handed spey rod.
Cheers,
Steve

pati

Hi Steve

Will try to give a longer answer over the weekend but note that on my rods Massimo didn’t use the widened hex ferrule but the standard hex ferrules.

I think he did a lot of work on perfecting the widened hex but generally reverted to the standard hex as the benefits of the widened hex were not sufficient to justify the extra work and constraints they result in... I’ll need to check on my correspondence with him to confirm my recollection though, but fascinating discussion! Thanks!!!

Cheers

Rhithrogena

I still use carbon on loughs or on really windy days
This is important. The big limiting thing with fly rods on windy days is butt diameter. This is why glass rods are necessarily short. My CTS 868 glass rod is lovely (limited use as yet), but soft and fat is no fun on a windy moorland lake. Thin and stiff better.....

stevel

These auctions always put their estimates as incredibly conservative levels. With a Bogdan, thre's bound to be international bidders used to US prices. One thing to watch out for is the 20% commission and to factor that into your maximum bids. Langs in the US is another good one, but the rubbish US exchange rates, the 20% commission and then the 33% vat/duty makes it not worthwhile anymore.
The new online bidding is quite good now with a live stream to the auction event, you can watch it and place a realtime bid by a click of a button. In years gone by it was a matter of making an email, phone or static website bid, then waiting to see if you won. Usually not!
In all the years I entered bids the only worthwhile items I won were a pair of Mohlin reels which were fairly uninteresting for international bidders.
There are normally a lot of modern tackle items which go pretty cheaply.
I joined the online auction a bit late, the items I was interested in went high pretty quickly so didn't bid or end up with anything (mainly centrepins for my Gary Marshall trotting rod being done now).
The Moran, as expected went over 2k so the estimate was way off.
A Hardy Cascapedia went an astounding £28k!
The Bogdan trout went an amazing £7000!! I thought it would go high but that was amazing, probably a record for a Bogdan, the 300 and 400 make $8k but the $11k (including commission) just shows where Bogdans are now, a collectors' piece.