Split-Cane rods;

redietz

When my friend gave me the Savli as a gift, James Reid, who makes splice jointed, hollow single and double handed rods, expressed concern whether a bamboo ferruled rod would be suitable for performing any spey cast where there is a large change in direction, and also "sustained anchor" casts such as a Double Spey, Circle Spey, Snap-T as he didn't believe the bamboo ferrule could withstand the lateral forces involved in making such a cast.
That has been the main reason that I haven't even looked at bamboo ferruled rods. In fact, I worry about it to some extent even with metal ferruled ones. I pulled a ferrule off one of my favorite rods last week after an afternoon of doing mostly double spey casts. The ferrules weren't particularly tight fitting, either. At least I reset that ferrule easily enough; integrated bamboo ferrules would destroy the rod if broken.

I'd add Belgian casts into the high-stress category as well.

pati

That has been the main reason that I haven't even looked at bamboo ferruled rods. In fact, I worry about it to some extent even with metal ferruled ones. I pulled a ferrule off one of my favorite rods last week after an afternoon of doing mostly double spey casts. The ferrules weren't particularly tight fitting, either. At least I reset that ferrule easily enough; integrated bamboo ferrules would destroy the rod if broken.

Well Massimo’s rods are used for the Italian TLT casting style and regularly taken by Massimo to fish big brutes trouts in Patagonia, so I m quite confident in the strength of these for trout at least.
For double hand and spey, I’d agree it might be a different game. I will try to ask Massimo if he could give his opinion and will relay here if he wishes so.

stevel

There are couple of makers, professional and amateur on Spey pages and Clark's who make classic metal feruled rods and are adamant that there is nothing wrong with metal ferrules on a spey rod, but makers like Bob Clay I believe, moved over to a spliced ferrule due to breakages right above the ferrule. Most older vintage double handed rods were double handed overhead casting rods, not spey casting rods.

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
Most older vintage double handed rods were double handed overhead casting rods, not spey casting rods.
Not so sure on that,when I did Falks penultimate spey casting course there were a couple of rods ,Iguess they were sharpes that were the spliced ,and the throwed a half decent line speycasting !

stevel

Most older vintage double handed rods were double handed overhead casting rods, not spey casting rods.
Not so sure on that,when I did Falks penultimate spey casting course there were a couple of rods ,Iguess they were sharpes that were the spliced ,and the throwed a half decent line speycasting !
I'm talking the old metal ferruled Hardy and the like

Vintage Badger

I'm glad there's a forum for cane rods, I think they're lovely things. I bought a few back in the early 90s when nobody seemed to want 'panda fodder' anymore and you could pick up a good quality rod by a lesser known brand, in good condition for about £20. Those were the days!

As well as their aesthetic charm, I love to use vintage cane trout rods for fishing dry fly, so they're not just kept as ornaments, but actually used as intended. I once landed a 9lb brown trout on one of them at a small still-water fishery, and can still remember thinking "Well, that's the rod gone!" when it rose up like a submarine and took the fly. I shouldn't have worried, the rod handled it beautifully and it was successfully landed. When I stood up after releasing the fish the other anglers within view gave me a small round of applause, which was nice, if somewhat embarrassing!

There's nothing particularly rare or exotic in my collection, with a 9' 6" Hardy Gold Medal Palakona being about the most 'prestigious' rod there, but they give me pleasure each time I look at them, let alone when I fish with them. Here are a couple of photos - the double handed rods are salmon, not coarse, plus a spinner. The reels are nothing special at all, good quality reels have always been collectable, so I could never find any bargains there!

Last edited:

Vintage Badger

A lovely collection of cane rods anyone would be pleased to own and fish.
Well done Badger.
Thanks Uncas. There are a couple in there that need some minor restoration when I get time (re-whipping of rings and ferrules and re-varnishing), plus restoring the top section of that Hardy. I think that will have to go to someone like Gary Marshall though; I did the two lower sections a few years ago but lost my nerve with the top section and decided that removing old, crazed, varnish and whippings from something less than the diameter of a matchstick, then close-whipping it all again, is better left to a pro with the right kit and the necessary experience! The rest of the rod looks so nice now it would be a tragedy if I made a pig's ear of the top section by trying to do it myself. I must get a quote from Gary and bite the bullet and get it sorted!

stevel

Thanks Uncas. There are a couple in there that need some minor restoration when I get time (re-whipping of rings and ferrules and re-varnishing), plus restoring the top section of that Hardy. I think that will have to go to someone like Gary Marshall though; I did the two lower sections a few years ago but lost my nerve with the top section and decided that removing old, crazed, varnish and whippings from something less than the diameter of a matchstick, then close-whipping it all again, is better left to a pro with the right kit and the necessary experience! The rest of the rod looks so nice now it would be a tragedy if I made a pig's ear of the top section by trying to do it myself. I must get a quote from Gary and bite the bullet and get it sorted!
Best hurry, as I believe that he plans to retire this year! He's making me a lovely coarse rod for the trout off season and also doing some repairs to a couple of my bamboos as well.
Nice collection, BTW.

Uncas

Steve is right with recommending you to hurry with Gary Marshall, but if he can't help get in touch with either Cris Ward, Andrew J Davis, or Paul Cook.

Vintage Badger

This was my first attempt at building a cane rod from a kit (using an Agutter's blank), which I did around 1995. It's a 6ft 6 inch #4 weight rod, the colour of the whipping doesn't come out very well on these photos but it's purple with crimson tipping, which I think is a nice-looking colour combination for a small rod.

Believe it or not, I've never fished with this rod yet, other than casting on grass a couple of times to try the action. I intend to put that right this year and make the time and effort for a day's fishing on a suitably small brook either in North Wales or Derbyshire. I bought the Wheatley fly box on eBay several years ago and it's full of traditional old patterns like pale watery dun, Usk dogsbody, Greenwell's, Wickham's, etc. so I'm looking forward to trying some of these vintage flies when I finally make it to the river. 🙂

51130729270_792f5bd52b_b.jpg

51129672374_5ea4cc8335_b.jpg

Last edited:

easker1

Years ago I was repairing an Inverness made seatrout rod and I found the Ferrules were pinned on with a tiny Brass pin, it was practically invisible, I haven't seen this on any other rods, I think it was a Macphersons rod, I remember the shop had a miniature Cane rod in the window, easker1

Vintage Badger

Years ago I was repairing an Inverness made seatrout rod and I found the Ferrules were pinned on with a tiny Brass pin, it was practically invisible, I haven't seen this on any other rods, I think it was a Macphersons rod, I remember the shop had a miniature Cane rod in the window, easker1
One of the rods I have has this sort of cross-pinned ferrule which I noticed when re-whipping it. I'm not certain which one it was, but ISTR it might have been a Forshaws of Liverpool 'The Palace' Number 10, which is a 3 piece 9ft trout rod.

william henry

Nice looking cork work with an interesting bamboo ferrule / sleeve .
What’s the script font , looks like Klingon? 😉

fleaflicker

L
Nice looking cork work with an interesting bamboo ferrule / sleeve .
What’s the script font , looks like Klingon? 😉

Ahhhhh the cork work, yes, thank you, i love full cork as it reminds me if Classic Palakona, mixed with Young with a sprinkle of Fries but nothing can compare with the deep soul work of fries! These as all the rods ive made are shaped on a hand drill in my lap😀, and written on one aptly named Mayflies & salt, From The Mountains to the sea is an excerpt from Ian Nialls Trout From The Hills, in Klingon yes, well spotted👍

peal man

Love "old school" fishing, use my 7ft cane rod, and old Hardy reel on all my stream fishing.
Casting takes a little getting use to with the variation in rod action from carbon, buy enjoyable.
Often fancied going back to fiberglass too, and probably will.

Latest posts